Samsung GX-SM530CF - CableCard tuner and media streamer - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #361 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I think our best chance is to contact the guide service provider for our device. Samsung knows nothing about the smart media player. As I said before from my research, rovicorp provides the meta content guide service for several different companies devices. I'm still waiting for a email from them for more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My guide is also gone. I cannot remember the last firmware update so I have little faith that Samsung will find a permanent fix.
post #363 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post
My guide is also gone. I cannot remember the last firmware update so I have little faith that Samsung will find a permanent fix.
I think our best avenue is to contact rovicorp. I also sent them an email and am awaiting a reply.
post #364 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I contacted my Cable company about the guide missing. They looked into it and said they only have control over the network label in the guide. They confirmed that the guide information comes from a 3rd party, same as with Tivo, and we'll will need to contact Samsung to see what options are available to trouble shoot this on there end. So, looks like we're out of luck unless Samsung fixes it, or someone finds a way to sideload the device with another guide. I wonder if there's a way to create a rule on a router to pull the guide from another source, it may not fully work but at least there will be a guide. I'll see if I can find anything with wireshark, and possibly set up something to pull in titantv or zap2it TV listings on my router.
post #365 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mine were both within warranty last year when this guide mess started, and it didn't help with support. I eventually had to call their office of the president aka consumer affairs and file a complaint with the better business bureau. That got results and they finally fixed the problem although now it seems only temporary. So I don't think warranty at this point matters. Consumer affairs doesn't answer the phone and they don't return messages. I'm wondering if its due to the snow since they are in New Jersey. Maybe another BBB complaint will get answers. Their 'support' is horrendous.
post #366 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

It is to bad that the guide doesn't work. Other than the guide issue the box has been excellent for me. Easy to use and locks in all of the channels that I get on my Time Warner cable box. Time Warner in Nebraska was great to work with getting the cable card set-up. Local office was very helpful.
post #367 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I did chat with a rep from Samsung. Of course she tried to have me reset the box which I had already done. After a few minutes she agreed to send the information to a higher level team. She would not tell me what that team does or how they would fix it. Went through the same song and dance the last time this happens. The only difference is that after the reset I get the a box that states the guide is repopulating but it never does. Other then this guide issue, the box has been great. I had two Sony DVR's from 06 which lost its guide ability. Sony passed the buck and blamed it on Rovicorp and made no attempt to develop a work around. I am getting close to submitting and getting a few FIOS boxes.
post #368 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Yeah the box itself mostly works okay at tuning stations. But the other aspect of this box is pure crap. The streaming apps are a joke and the firmware haven't been updated since at least 2014. I expected that going into this though, and since my TVs are smart and I have Chromecasts on every TV in the house I can care less whether or not the streaming apps work. But the guide not working is basic functionality that Samsung needs to resolve. Soon as I can cut the cord these things are history at my house. At least my Verizon FiOS TV app works and I can get the guide that way, but the only way to tune channels is manually. Ironically the Rovi guide on my 3 year old Sony smart tv still works fine if I switch to an OTA antenna.
post #369 of 389 Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately my 2014 Samsung UN65H6350 does not support the fios tv app. I found the apps spotty on my set. Some work fine while others are very finiky. My 2015 Samsung blu-ray player also is problematic. When watching Netflix it never settles and every movies looks like a downconverted video signal that looks like a old VHS movie. Thats why I use a PS3 in the family room and a XBOX 360 in my man cave. Apps are flawless on both. My opinion on Samsung apps are that they are a general aftert thought with little by the way of support. On my PS3 and XBOX apps are constantly being updated while my TV and player have stopped sending firmware updates.
post #370 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 07:00 AM

I have a samsung smart tv in the bedroom which had the fios tv app....emphasis on the word had. Then either verizon or samsung removed it and never updated it since. I wont buy Samsung products ever again because of the way they do not update their products. From phones to tv's. But the fios tv app doesnt matter at this point since us Texas fios customers are being shelled off to Frontier. So I assume the Verizon apps will eventually become useless for me anyway.
post #371 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
my guide is back up.
mbaysdell likes this.
post #372 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider885 View Post
my guide is back up.
So is mine.
mbaysdell likes this.
post #373 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider885 View Post
my guide is back up.
So is mine... Cool.
mbaysdell likes this.
post #374 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Guide returns, part II

My wife reports our guide is back up as well. I'll check later tonight to see if there's an available software update.
HDMI Guy likes this.
post #375 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I had a 2.5 hour go-round with Samsung yesterday, Wednesday. Explained it all, all over again. The last support representative I got, Nikki, was extremely helpful - she actually listened and tried to help rather than transfer me.

I sent link to this forum explaining that it was not only me, my cable provider or my device(s).

I got a call from Samsung this AM asking how happy I was with the support efforts. I unloaded but did give praise for the last representative that got the ticket "expedited" on our behalf.

I have Guide thru 5:30AM CT Saturday.

We need to keep this thread open and available for future reference. I think that if we all post we can send Samsung the link upon next failure and get better results by showing that it is impacting more than one user or one device. YOU, WE must contact Samsung Support, not only complain in this thread. Generally the manufacturer does not read forums.
HDMI Guy and PA_Prowler like this.
post #376 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Interesting.....as a person actively looking for a ~55" HDTV I was closely monitoring this thread. I figured if Samsung didn't care enough to support something like this tuner/medial streamer they may not be much better with their HDTVs, glad they got it resolved and Samsung is again near the top of my list
Sony is NOT, among the reasons is their lack of support for my current HDTVs TVGOS service as well as their defunct DVR!
post #377 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

my guide is back up also.
post #378 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good work guys. The guide is back on my living room box. Haven't checked the bedroom box, but I'm confident that it is.

Can we possibly have a list to refer to with contact info at Samsung including departments, phone numbers, email addresses, names, etc. for when this happens again? I only ask because there's usually a lot of red tape to cut through before you can reach anybody that is even remotely willing to divert from the "script", and actually get things moving in the direction of resolution. It might encourage those afflicted to report the issue en masse, and not have it looked upon as something isolated.
post #379 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 11:36 PM

Both of my devices are now working as well. I didn't do anything since power cycling over the weekend. Thanks to everyone who called Samsung.
post #380 of 389 Old 01-28-2016, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Interesting.....as a person actively looking for a ~55" HDTV I was closely monitoring this thread. I figured if Samsung didn't care enough to support something like this tuner/medial streamer they may not be much better with their HDTVs, glad they got it resolved and Samsung is again near the top of my list
Sony is NOT, among the reasons is their lack of support for my current HDTVs TVGOS service as well as their defunct DVR!
Yeah I have two of the same Sony DVR's. All the can do is tune channels and they are laggy and slow at that!.. To boot they where very expensive at the time and Sony dropped the ball. I have never bought a Sony product since the TVGOS debackle.
post #381 of 389 Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 AM

Back to no information on the guide as of this morning. Anyone else?
post #382 of 389 Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabooher View Post
Back to no information on the guide as of this morning. Anyone else?
I lost the guide on my living room set last night, but I might have caused it! It was fine out until I think 2AM tomorrow. I was in the guide and scrolling up pages at a time using the Channel UP button, as opposed to the UP Arrow. After around, I don't know, maybe 30 - 40 pages it stopped responding for quite some time. I don't remember if I tried to exit it, or if it started responding again on its own, but when it did I had no future guide information. I left it alone for an hour or so to see if it would repopulate itself, but it did not. After a 30 second power cycle all was well again.

While better than nothing, the guide really leaves a lot to be desired. There's no way to have it just represent your favorite channels. No way to just enter a channel number from inside to jump around. I'm on the very lowest tier with my service provider so there are hundreds of channels I have to scroll through in order to see what's on the channels I am actually paying for. Now I have to remember to go sparingly with the page up/page down lest I lose the guide info and have to power cycle.
post #383 of 389 Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM

My living room device was lagging so bad last night and I thought it had crashed. It eventually was "normal" for these things anyway. But as of 7am I get "no information" in both rooms we have these devices. This is what happened last year. I doubt the freezing is anything you did. Same thing happened to me.
post #384 of 389 Old 02-01-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I doubt the freezing is anything you did. Same thing happened to me.
Who knows? The reason I thought I might have caused it is because while my living room box was rebooting, I went and checked the bedroom box, and that one still had guide into out until Tuesday. I assumed if the outage was again on their end, it would have effected both boxes.

EDIT: I just checked the bedroom box and that one is showing guide data up until Wednesday 6:30 AM, same as the living room box.

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was finding the channel line-up that reflects my service. If I plugged in my own zip code, and the surrounding zip codes, the guide was missing several of my favorite channels. I had to enter Cablevision service area zip codes by trial and error until I located one 60 miles away in West Nyack, NY, that reflected my channels. It took days of screwing around.

Last edited by PA_Prowler; 02-01-2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Additional Info
post #385 of 389 Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine is working fine. I tried to get it to hang up using the up/down channel button in the guide. No problems on mine. Didn't appear sluggish or anything that I noticed just now.
post #386 of 389 Old 02-01-2016, 12:40 PM

Both of mine still work. The only problem is that a few channels are off by a few hours, BBCA being one of them. There's 2 lineups for Cox cable here, North & South, but no matter which one I choose the program guide is offset a few hours on some channels. The same with TitanTV's TV Guide website, but Zap2it's TV Guide website is correct. Weird huh?

Slightly off topic...
These cableboxes show up in Windows network devices as mediacenters, but you can't do anything with them. It would be cool to find a way to sideload apps on these, I'm pretty sure it's android apps running on them.
post #387 of 389 Old 02-01-2016, 05:18 PM

Mine are back to showing guide info and I haven't done anything. Just let them sit all day. About the time difference, there are one or two free local type channels I have noticed are always off. I've just learned to live with it. I am finding other ways to get tv guide info. As long as the cablecard works its not so bad.
post #388 of 389 Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My living room device was lagging so bad last night and I thought it had crashed. It eventually was "normal" for these things anyway. But as of 7am I get "no information" in both rooms we have these devices. This is what happened last year. I doubt the freezing is anything you did. Same thing happened to me.
'
Same problem for me and now guide information is back and the lagginess when tuning stations is gone. What gets me is that the reps are clueless on this problem. Samsung does not communicate issues with them and they try to divert you into troubleshooting the box which is not the problem.
post #389 of 389 Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Both times the rep wanted to replace the hardware. The last rep I had to read the serial number at least five times! He was so clueless and then said they needed to replace it but that mine was now out of warranty. I said so two of these just went bad at the same exact time? This is par for the course with anything Samsung makes and you need support. The support is mostly non existent. Smh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung