Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have COX in Arizona....the only issues I have are these:

I have the following issues-
-The channel Guide issue:
very small font
no manual clock adjustment when using cablecard
and the big issue-the current channels showing are 1 hour off in the guide(clock on screen is correct, guide shows the proper channels but for example a show shown on the guide to start at 2:00 in reality started at 1:00
same issue on both boxes
only a Samsung issue.....my HTPC with Ceton Ifinitv card shows the correct time and channels with its Cox cablecard guide
Regional clock settings exclude ARIZONA...we do not have DST....EVER!
Samsung tech support........no help

And the last issue HIGH HEAT!

Other than these issues the Samsung performs on par with the Scientific Atlantic boxes these replaced.
Been using them since December 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 267 Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrhone View Post

Regional clock settings exclude ARIZONA...we do not have DST....EVER!
Yours sets by state? Just checked mine. I can set it to the Mountain time zone and can turn DST off, which seems like it would solve your issue. The time-of-day still comes from the cable company. If you don't see a time zone setting with a DST off/on button under Settings>Settings>clock then you might need to update your software.

And yeah, it gets pretty hot, as did my Ceton CableCARD device and the STB from the cable company (which also employs a CableCARD).

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #183 of 267 Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info!
Just checked the settings and its set for Mountain with DST off....still the same issue.
Time of day is correct, but programs within that guide time are 1 hour off.
I did notice that when you select the region it shows a map of those states and Arizona is not shown in either Pacific or Mountain time zones.
post #184 of 267 Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Go through a system reset and start all over. That'll force a guide reload. See if that helps.

post #185 of 267 Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Tried that on both units many, many, many times....with no resolution.
post #186 of 267 Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Is your box running software version 1035?

post #187 of 267 Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM

yes
post #188 of 267 Old 05-19-2014, 01:40 PM

just checked both, and they are 1035
post #189 of 267 Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Is it possible to use another remote on this device? Will universal remotes do the trick?
post #190 of 267 Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions
Time of day is correct, but programs within that guide time are 1 hour off.
I think its the DST and my State is causing the issue.
There is an internal clock issue that Samsung will need to address.....but I don't think that is not going to happen.
I use Philips Pronto remotes for all my TV's.....and the problem is not isolated to any remote. Same issue regardless of the type of remote.
post #191 of 267 Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 AM

I'm in Arizona and my clock is off too. If I play around with the timezones/DST I can get the clock right, but then the program guide is off. It'll probably fix itself in the fall. I think this is actually an issue with the cablecard.

AZ has to be different and not observe DST.
post #192 of 267 Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the reply...
Its not a cable card issue....I have another cable card in my HTPC with Ceton Ifintv card.... the clock and programs are correct.
I believe its a clock issue in the Samsung.
post #193 of 267 Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
During the summer, can't you just change the Time Zone setting to Pacific and turn on DST, It seems that would work. Then in Fall change it back to Mountain.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 267 Old 05-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Tried that already.
The onscreen time is correct and the guide time is correct, but the shows shown during the correct guide time are one hour off.
Same issue on both Samsung boxes.
Doesn't make a difference if on PST with DST on or MST with DST off.....same issue.
Went to Walmart today and purchased another unit........SAME ISSUE ON THE BRAND NEW BOX!
post #195 of 267 Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 PM

My family picked up two boxes from Sears last week. Updated firmware first over an Ethernet connection before installing cablecard, as suggested by posts on this forum.

Ran into major issues with the automatic guide download over wi-fi - would only work properly over wired (even after setting up the connection to be wireless). Otherwise, going into settings would sometimes detect my home network, or no networks at all. I had to reset both boxes multiple times and see if I could do setup properly over wi-fi. If not, I restarted the setup until it went through properly all the way on wi-fi. After that it's been flawless on both boxes.

post #196 of 267 Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsRock View Post

My family picked up two boxes from Sears last week. Updated firmware first over an Ethernet connection before installing cablecard, as suggested by posts on this forum.

Ran into major issues with the automatic guide download over wi-fi - would only work properly over wired (even after setting up the connection to be wireless). Otherwise, going into settings would sometimes detect my home network, or no networks at all. I had to reset both boxes multiple times and see if I could do setup properly over wi-fi. If not, I restarted the setup until it went through properly all the way on wi-fi. After that it's been flawless on both boxes.

Not sure if you're referring to my suggestion from post #121 or not, but even when I updated the firmware after installing the CableCARD originally, I did so via Wi-Fi. To repeat my point from post #121, had I done it all over again, I still would've set it up via Wi-Fi and updated the firmware before installing the CableCARD. That box has never been hooked up via Ethernet, so I can't comment if I would've experienced the same anomaly as you did? But I hadn't thought that setting it up using Ethernet would cause that sort of scenario you described with the guide? Interesting.

post #197 of 267 Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The only problem I have on my two boxes is that on a few channels (out of 0ver 200 channels) the box will not pick up the cable channel on the first try. It will come back with the message "Weak or scrambled channel". I will need to go one channel up or down and back to that channel to get it locked in. I have excellent signal level on these boxes. My daughter who live in another area in Montgomery County, MD also has one box and has a similar problem. Since it is happening on multiple boxes I called Samsung to report the problem and told them they needed to upgrade the firmware since these boxes are cable labs certified for use with cable cards.
post #198 of 267 Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine does the same thing as far as a couple of channels not locking in till you go up or down to a working one and come back. I also hope they upgrade their guide to show the year released and whether its a new or rerun show.
I use the TV Guide ap on my tablet for free and it does have those features so it works OK for me but its another step I shouldn't have to do.
I'd use my cable box out here but the bedroom TV gets no sound from the Samsung but does from the cable box and the Samsung only has HDMI out so no other way to get the sound to that TV.rolleyes.gif
post #199 of 267 Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM

All,
I have COX in rhode island. my motorola cablecard is paired with my 2005 lg hdtv which has a cablecard slot built in.
When i go through the setup the samsung box does not recognize that the cablecard is inserted. most of the posts here seem to indicate that the card should be recognized first then i call COX to have them pair it.
Is that correct? If not what steps do i need to take to get the box to recognize that the card?
Thanks!

Dan
post #200 of 267 Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Call Cox? Explain that you want to "move" the cablecard to a different device. They will either reset the card (if possible) or provide a replacement card.
DrDon likes this.
post #201 of 267 Old 06-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docimian View Post

All,
I have COX in rhode island. my motorola cablecard is paired with my 2005 lg hdtv which has a cablecard slot built in.
When i go through the setup the samsung box does not recognize that the cablecard is inserted. most of the posts here seem to indicate that the card should be recognized first then i call COX to have them pair it.
Is that correct? If not what steps do i need to take to get the box to recognize that the card?
Thanks!

Dan

Call this number: 888-556-1193

That's their dedicated CableCARD support hotline.

post #202 of 267 Old 06-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone happen to know any remote codes for this? I had gotten one for my mom to replace one of her cable boxes and none of the Samsung codes for an ATLAS OCAP 5-Device remote work to control this box.

Any ideas?
post #203 of 267 Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
Does anyone happen to know any remote codes for this? I had gotten one for my mom to replace one of her cable boxes and none of the Samsung codes for an ATLAS OCAP 5-Device remote work to control this box.

Any ideas?
I have a Sony remote an none of the Samsung codes worked with this box. The Sony remote is a learning remote I I was able to learn all the Samsung remote keys onto the Sony remote. On the newer sets which communicate through HDMI some key functions are automatically picked up by the original remote.
post #204 of 267 Old 06-14-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by RobotsRock 

Not sure if you're referring to my suggestion from post #121 or not, but even when I updated the firmware after installing the CableCARD originally, I did so via Wi-Fi. To repeat my point from post #121, had I done it all over again, I still would've set it up via Wi-Fi and updated the firmware before installing the CableCARD. That box has never been hooked up via Ethernet, so I can't comment if I would've experienced the same anomaly as you did? But I hadn't thought that setting it up using Ethernet would cause that sort of scenario you described with the guide? Interesting.
I was referring your suggestion from post # 121. I did a full firmware update over ethernet before setting the boxes on Wi-fi. While I thought resetting until the full setup went over Wi-Fi had fixed the glitch, unfortunately that's not the case, and the guide never works unless I redo setup. I wonder if the boxes just don't like my router for some reason. At this point I'll likely just get a switch as I have ethernet cables near the device for my Roku anyway.
post #205 of 267 Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 PM

TigerDirect is selling these units for $70 and free shipping with coupon code QGR131398.

http://dealnews.com/Samsung-Smart-Me...g/1078569.html
post #206 of 267 Old 07-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got one for $50 with coupon from TigerDirect

I have Comcast Preferred. After I powered up the box, it said scrambled channel or weak signal. So I tried Comcast online chat, they weren't able to pair CableCARD so I called Comcast. After the phone call most channels started working instantly but some still shows scrambled channel or weak signal.

Annoying part
1) WiFi over 5GHz does not connect. 2.4GHz connects but it is really slow. Laptop/phone worked ok with the wifi at the same spot.
2) Cannot update firmware. Either no network connection or network connection unsable
3) No TV Schedule. Guide only shows channel names, no programming, and enter key will not lead me to the channel. I have to exit the guide and punch in the number.
4) The app platform is so slow, a lot of them not even working

Really disappointed...
post #207 of 267 Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well if you have a wired network connection use that, then worry about wireless as it ships with old firmware and first thing it does is update itself, which might also fix your wireless issues.
I just moved mine into sisters bedroom as finally found a HDMI cable that plays nice with it and the older Toshiba HDTV she uses so it now gets the sound.
Missed being able to use the free on demand we can get with the older Comcast box they gave free. I hate the stupid adds and crappy non HD guide it uses but like the fact it shows date and new or rerun too.
Pretty sure it does tune to a channel on it's basic guide if you hit the center button but I'll have to double check.
Its using wifi in her room as never ran a network cable in there and at least the guide works fine here. Haven't checked what speed it picked.
post #208 of 267 Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Of the two boxes I have, one of them hits my WiFi from anywhere. The other one has to be moved well away from the television (which kind of defeats the purpose). I AM going to run a hardwire to that one.

Last edited by DrDon; 07-10-2014 at 09:26 AM.
post #209 of 267 Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
These boxes are now on clearance at Walmart for $99 and have been removed from inventory, except for the few remaining boxes on shelves at select stores.
post #210 of 267 Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdreams View Post
Got one for $50 with coupon from TigerDirect

I have Comcast Preferred. After I powered up the box, it said scrambled channel or weak signal. So I tried Comcast online chat, they weren't able to pair CableCARD so I called Comcast. After the phone call most channels started working instantly but some still shows scrambled channel or weak signal.

Annoying part
1) WiFi over 5GHz does not connect. 2.4GHz connects but it is really slow. Laptop/phone worked ok with the wifi at the same spot.
2) Cannot update firmware. Either no network connection or network connection unsable
3) No TV Schedule. Guide only shows channel names, no programming, and enter key will not lead me to the channel. I have to exit the guide and punch in the number.
4) The app platform is so slow, a lot of them not even working

Really disappointed...
I have no problems with Wi-fi at 5mhz or 2.4mhz. As mentioned try updating the firmware with a wired connection and then try wireless. The TV schedule will show once you have a soldi wi-fi connection. The apps should also work properly once you have a good wi-fi connection.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page