6Likes

post #211 of 275 Old 07-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I have no problems with Wi-fi at 5mhz or 2.4mhz. As mentioned try updating the firmware with a wired connection and then try wireless. The TV schedule will show once you have a soldi wi-fi connection. The apps should also work properly once you have a good wi-fi connection.
Most problems were gone after a few hours, maybe it was a high cpu low ram situation?

I am still having issues with
1) after updating Netflix, it does not launch any more, stuck at "loading netflix"
2) some channels get "scrambled channel or weak signal" occasionally, but it might work on a second try. Is this a Comcast issue? I get signal strengh around 40 and SNR about 38dB, is that too low?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 275 Old 07-09-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdreams View Post
Most problems were gone after a few hours, maybe it was a high cpu low ram situation?

I am still having issues with
1) after updating Netflix, it does not launch any more, stuck at "loading netflix"
2) some channels get "scrambled channel or weak signal" occasionally, but it might work on a second try. Is this a Comcast issue? I get signal strengh around 40 and SNR about 38dB, is that too low?
I don't use Netflix so I can't comment on that. About the scrambled or weak channel I also get that on a few channels. Your signal strength is good. I have two Samsung boxes one with a higher signal; and one with about your level and they both have the same problem. I called Samsung on this to report it. You need do do the same. The more people that report the issue the better chance that Samsung will come up with a fix. I am going to call them again on this issue and ask someone come to my house to document the problem. Again it only happens on a few channels but it is annoying. One other problem - the channel guide needs to be updated in my area Comcast moved two channels around (Bloomberg and WGN) about two months ago but the guide has not been updated.
post #213 of 275 Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Netflix is working now, idk how....
There is no support for USB mouse/keyboard?
post #214 of 275 Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Has anyone used this device integrated with Xbox One?

Looking to cut costs on my Verizon FIOS bill for equipment. But didn't want to loose the features of Kinect control, one guide, and power on/off support.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #215 of 275 Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two of these boxes. They overheat way too easy. They work fine as cable card devices, but connected to wifi they overheat in about an hour, less if rack mounted. They are only rated up to 95 degrees, after about an hour of streaming you can cook an egg on top of one. Once it overheats, the unit either drops the network connection or freezes up and requires an unplug and cool down. If you can hardwire to your router you can avoid the wifi overheat problem, unfortunately both of mine are in places without that option. A Roku box gets pretty hot as well, but they don't seem to shut down until they are much hotter.
post #216 of 275 Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wouldn't know about WiFi as I tried it on mine and it worked but it was slower to load the guide so I went back to wired network and now it's in the other bedroom using WiFi as I never ran a network cable in there and haven't heard a complaint about it not working but I don't think it get used as much now.
If it had a better guide that actually told you the date and whether it was new or a repeat, plus not having on demand support it might still be out here in the living room. I like that it supports whatever native res the broadcast is, the cable box is either SD or 720 or 1080i and just shows everything at the setting you choose as far as HD goes.
I wasn't expecting on demand being a cable card box but the guide could use a update to the things I mentioned. My system isn't charging me rent for my box so I kept it and moved it back out once I found a HDMI cable that made the older set in the bedroom and the Samsung happy to play nice together.
post #217 of 275 Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey does this GX-SM530CF have the ability to stream on a home network? I mean, if I put this on a TV in my basement, could I use it to stream to a TV in my bedroom when the basement TV is not in use?

Or would I have to use a slingbox for that? And is there a better device than a slingbox to get the HD video to another TV? Maybe something that works with a chromecast?
post #218 of 275 Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post
Hey does this GX-SM530CF have the ability to stream on a home network? I mean, if I put this on a TV in my basement, could I use it to stream to a TV in my bedroom when the basement TV is not in use?
No, it does not have that ability. It can receive DLNA streams from your computer or other devices capable of outputting DLNA.
HowlinWolf likes this.
post #219 of 275 Old 08-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay, another question. Will a slingbox work with a GX-SM530CF? I mean I know it will probably stream the video output, but will a slingbox be able to control it via the IR blaster? Will the slingplayer app's remote control work with it?

Anyone using a slingbox with one of these?

Edit:
Wow I just noticed this device only has an HDMI output, and the slingbox needs component. Does anyone know of a good (and cheap) converter that will get this hdmi output to work with a slingbox's component input?

Last edited by HowlinWolf; 08-22-2014 at 05:16 PM.
post #220 of 275 Old 08-23-2014, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post
Okay, another question. Will a slingbox work with a GX-SM530CF? I mean I know it will probably stream the video output, but will a slingbox be able to control it via the IR blaster? Will the slingplayer app's remote control work with it?

Anyone using a slingbox with one of these?

Edit:
Wow I just noticed this device only has an HDMI output, and the slingbox needs component. Does anyone know of a good (and cheap) converter that will get this hdmi output to work with a slingbox's component input?

Perhaps ask the OP at this --> site <-- what HDMI to component converter he is using with this device?
HowlinWolf likes this.
post #221 of 275 Old 08-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Can the Samsung remote that operates this box also be programmed to control a Samsung TV? All I see is a TV power button. And what about a Samsung soundbar? Seems silly and annoying to have to use 3 different Samsung remotes.
post #222 of 275 Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I have both of mine hooked to Sony televisions. The box handles volume levels and muting so, except for changing sources, I don't find much of a need for the television's remote. If all you plan to do is change channels, stream stuff and adjust the volume, you should be fine with the one.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #223 of 275 Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I have both of mine hooked to Sony televisions. The box handles volume levels and muting so, except for changing sources, I don't find much of a need for the television's remote. If all you plan to do is change channels, stream stuff and adjust the volume, you should be fine with the one.
I also have an OTA antenna connected to this Samsung TV, as well as a Samsung soundbar. So I definitely need the TV remote to change the Source button, as well as OTA channels on the TV. Still working to see how to best connect the soundbar. May try connecting it to the 530 box direct with optical. The TV does have ARC, and the soundbar also has ARC and HDMI input/output. So that is another option.
post #224 of 275 Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Also I am not getting the program guide activated. I have a direct ethernet cable connected to the box. The cable card is working, but the tuning adapter is not turned on. Could this play a role? I guess I need to call Charter and have it rebooted. But most cable channels seem to be coming in.
post #225 of 275 Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

IIRC, You still have to give it a zip code and select a provider to get guide data. At least I recall having to do that. I have one box that just won't see my WiFi at all. Once I run ethernet to it and connect it, I'll go through the steps, again, to make sure.

post #226 of 275 Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

A modern TVs (through HDMI) remote can control all the basic functions of the Samsung box (such as at a minimum putting in channel numbers and going up and down on the channels), The best solution is to get a universal learning remote and use it to control everything.
post #227 of 275 Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 PM

I'm on the verge of buying this, but need to ask one question.
Is there a box with Cable Card + Network Media player + Blu-Ray? Basically this box with Blu-Ray.

I'm pretty sure of the answer, but I want this in 3 places and really don't want to buy 6 boxes.
post #228 of 275 Old 09-03-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Samsung is definitely the wrong tool for the job in this case. You can do this with a single Homerun Prime and 3 Bluray players with DLNA. No need for any Samsung boxes at all, or more than a single cable card. Check out Silicon Dust's website. You could get a Prime on sale for $80 not too long ago.

Add a PC to the mix and get free DVR capability too.
KAlbin likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-03-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #229 of 275 Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Anyone here had any trouble with this on TWC and got it resolved?

I have the Samsung box and it had been working fine for 3 months. Guide stopped working so I went ahead and reset the box and the cable card refuses to work now. TWC now say it's a known issue between Samsung Media Player/Tivo and they have their top engineers working on it. Next call they just blamed Samsung and told me to figure out a way to contact them for help. Ugh...

Don't mind me, I'm just here to watch...
post #230 of 275 Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Keep hammering them. Make them swap out the cards, send a tech, whatever it takes. I went through 20 phone calls, five truckrolls and one FCC complaint. Every step of the way the excuses were:
It's your wiring
It's a problem with the Samsung box, call them
We don't support CableCARDS for anything other than local channels.

It was not my wiring, it was not the box and they're REQUIRED to support CableCARD devices. They just don't want to. They'd get it straightened out for a while, then at the first of every month, both boxes would go out and I'd have to start all over, again. I keep a log of every interaction and sent the whole thing to the FCC. Two weeks later, I got a letter from Bright House CC'd to the FCC and my devices have worked just fine since. Granted, one of them can't find WiFi to save its soul, but that's got nothing to do with the CableCARD.

Be persistent.
TeeJay1952 likes this.

post #231 of 275 Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Samsung is definitely the wrong tool for the job in this case. You can do this with a single Homerun Prime and 3 Bluray players with DLNA. No need for any Samsung boxes at all, or more than a single cable card. Check out Silicon Dust's website. You could get a Prime on sale for $80 not too long ago.

Add a PC to the mix and get free DVR capability too.
Thanks mdavej!
I took a quick look at their website and it looks very interesting. I'll definitely research this before getting anything. It looks like a big advantage for Comcast fees as well to limit to only one box.
The best price I found from a quick search is $120, but I'll look further and search the forum.
post #232 of 275 Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the Prime that I've had for a few years now, love it. The Samsung actually can see it and tune with it but that kinda defeats the purpose. Comcast let me HAVE a 3200 non DVR box for no rent so I switched back to it for the slightly better guide and on demand support.
My Prime is seen by both of my other media players too and my favorite one sees all my Favorite channels pretty well but "all channels" it has issues with as it sees them about 5 channels low and the sound doesn't always come in till I fiddle with the options once.
I don't really use the prime as a cable box tuner, I just use it as a nice DVR then edit my captures with VideoRedo version 4 and convert to my favorite format to save space. If you want to use a prime as a DLNA tuner make sure you get a media or BluRay player that supports it well as so far all of mine work but I wouldn't say they are ready for prime time. Other players might be much more compatible so do your research or make sure they have a no questions asked return policy till you find a setup that works the way you want.
The DLNA support was added after the fact anyways in firmware so doubt they originally planned to support it but realized they could make it work so added it to give their customers more useful options and toys.
post #233 of 275 Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Does this device have the ability to play mpeg-4 cable channels? I know it has the ability to handle mpeg-4 from other sources, but Samsung does not mention if it can play mpeg-4 cable. I ask this because Comcast has started to convert its content to mpeg-4. in one city and will soon do the same in other areas.
post #234 of 275 Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot get WiFi to work on this box. The wired internet works fine, but whenever I try to set up the wireless info, the box always reverts back to the main menu page before I can type in the router model and password. I have tried unplugging and rebooting, but no luck. And Walmart is now sold out, so they cannot exchange it. Perhaps time to contact Samsung support and argue with them about a replacement.
post #235 of 275 Old 09-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

One of my boxes has started exhibiting this behavior. Let me know if you have any luck. I'll fool with it some, but it's just too easy for me to run a cat 5.to it.

post #236 of 275 Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One of my boxes has started exhibiting this behavior. Let me know if you have any luck. I'll fool with it some, but it's just too easy for me to run a cat 5.to it.
Why not call Samsung - it has a one year warranty?
post #237 of 275 Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, if it's not something on my end, I will. First, I'm going to try to swap it with the basement one and see if the problem follows.

post #238 of 275 Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would like to replace a cable box (Time Warner) with the Samsung in a room that is used very little for TV so I can save renting the box and just pay for a cable card. The location has questionable Wifi and I can not get a wired connection there. I can live without the guide and I don't need Netflix (I have a blu-ray with good Wifi tuner) at this location. Will the box function as a tuner if I do not set up the Wifi on the box? I can set up the box on another TV with wired Ethernet and then move it if needed.
post #239 of 275 Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Set it up on the TV with the wired ethernet so it can update its software. Once you have it set up, you can move it. It'll get its channel set from the CableCard and Tuning Adapter, you just won't have any guide data or, as you noted, streaming capabilities. The Samsung I have in the kitchen has been in a WiFi dead zone (or has a WiFi issue) for weeks and runs fine. Wife has her favorite channels long memorized, so it's only an issue if something's on, say, Nat Geo and she has to grab her tablet to look up the channel number.

Running Cat5 to it, today.

post #240 of 275 Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Set it up on the TV with the wired ethernet so it can update its software. Once you have it set up, you can move it. It'll get its channel set from the CableCard and Tuning Adapter, you just won't have any guide data or, as you noted, streaming capabilities. The Samsung I have in the kitchen has been in a WiFi dead zone (or has a WiFi issue) for weeks and runs fine. Wife has her favorite channels long memorized, so it's only an issue if something's on, say, Nat Geo and she has to grab her tablet to look up the channel number.

Running Cat5 to it, today.
Thank you.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung