Edmonton, AB: VHF In Concrete Apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my TV Fool Report

I have an RCA ANT1050 antenna. I'm in a third floor concrete high rise apartment, with no balcony. My building is surrounded by similar towers. My apartment only has windows that face north, and has apartments to the east,west,southwest, and southeast, and apartments, elevators, and stairwells to the south.

TVFool needs to update the virtual channel listing for Edmonton, as it is not current.

With the ANT1050 antenna lying flat and facing southwest, I can get CBC (Real 42.1, Virtual 5.1), CityTV (Real 17, Virtual 51.1), and Omni (Real 44, virtual 56.1) with three to four bars.

I'm interested in particular in getting CTV (Real 12, Virtual 3.1) and Global (Real 13, Virtual 13.1). No matter how I position the antenna, I cannot seem to get more then a single bar on these channels with my current antenna. I can get three bars and clear signal on these channels from a nearby park (TV Fool Report for the park. I'm using a Kworld ATSC USB stick hooked up to my PC inside and a netbook outside).

I'd really like to get the two above channels, since I'd to see Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Person on Interest, and Sleepy Hollow in that beautiful, low compression OTA signal everyone keeps talking about. Is there any particular indoor antenna that would help me get these high VHF channels in my apartment? Would something with rabbit ears help? Or am I fracked by the tower position in relation to my concrete bunker of an apartment? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Location added to title. See the sticky.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You can't predict indoor reception until you try.
You might try a pair of rabbit ears in in a southeast window. Get an extension piece of RG6 to keep it far as from the laptop as possible. The laptop could be generating VHF interference.
I tried a Kworld USB receiver but it never worked well for me. IF you can get one also try a different tuner or TV.
John
post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

You can't predict indoor reception until you try.
You might try a pair of rabbit ears in in a southeast window. Get an extension piece of RG6 to keep it far as from the laptop as possible. The laptop could be generating VHF interference.
I tried a Kworld USB receiver but it never worked well for me. IF you can get one also try a different tuner or TV.
John

I'll see about getting a nice long cable. I only have north facing windows, so putting it by a southeast window is not an option frown.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
You need more powerful Hi-VHF Antenna performance for (Real) Ch12 & Ch13. Rabbit-Ear/Loop MIGHT make a difference....but it isn't that much better than ANT-1050.

You might want to look at adding a DIY Hi-VHF Hourglass-Loop [Item 21, AWG12 or AWG10 is good, wire size isn't important]....or if that is too large, a simple [Item 7] DIY Hi-VHF Circular Loop [23-in if 1/4-in Copper Tubing or RG59 Braided Shield] or Square Loop [18.5-in/side if 1/4-in Copper Tubing] that has significantly higher Gain and much better SWR than Rabbit-Ears:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loops

Use a VHF/UHF Combiner (aka UVSJ) to combine with UHF signals from ANT-1050 (or whatever UHF Antenna Upgrade you might want to consider, such as Mohu Leaf or even better, Walltenna In-Window 2-Bay Bowtie:
https://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-indoor-hdtv-antenna.html
http://www.walltenna.com

We've come up with some DIY Hi-VHF/UHF Antenna Designs OPTIMIZED to work Inside a 2-ft x 3-ft METAL PICTURE FRAME:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loops/hivhfuhfin3ftx2ftpictureframeloop
Most antennas have much lower Gain on the lower end of the UHF Band. The best performance on Ch14 (and Ch17) was provided by mounting an M4 (9.5x9-in) 4-Bay Bowtie inside the Metal Picture Frame. The best Hi-VHF Gain with somewhat lower UHF Gain, but Excellent SWR for both was provided by the 2-Square Centipede Inside Boxed-Twin-Rectangular-Loop:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loops/hivhfuhfin3ftx2ftpictureframeloop/hivhfuhfm495x90bowtieinrectloop
Element wire size is NOT Critical....you could also use Aluminized Mylar Tape on Cardboard hidden behind the Picture.
Be sure to check out the referenced mclapp websites....he also sell prefabricated M4 4-Bay Bowties (without Reflector, as used here).

Of course, this only works well if you can mount in on a wall so that the Bi-Directional "BEAMS" of the Antenna points roughly towards the desired towers. You might also need to avoid mounting on an exterior wall, which may contain Rebar and/or aluminized Mylar thermal barrier "wrap".
If this is not possible, one of the other, lower Gain Designs may provide better Gain on Ch14 (470-476 MHz), as determined by looking at the off-axis Azimuthal Pattern Charts (let me know if you need help reading these charts).
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page