The Down Side of HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97

HTDV is great! I enjoy watching my 50-in 1920x1080 TV from about 8 feet away when playing blu-ray discs of great movies or great shows. Sometimes I'll get a HD stream from Netflix that also looks great on the TV. The crisp detail is wonderful! Head shots showing each individual misplaced hair or each stubble on a 5-o'clock shadow.

However, sometimes the crisp detail blown up on such a large screen isn't so great.

I have seen old films on HD (Blu-ray or a Netflix HD stream) where the higher definition accomplished nothing more than to make the film grain more visible, painfully visible, like dancing sand for light-colored walls. I am sure the Producer's objective wasn't to show off the film grain!

Some of the magic of older shows is ruined by 50-in screens by making quite visible the threads for holding models (how Supercar flew) or tugging on some objects to move them. Back when the typical screen was B&W and only 8 to 12 inches, or in color with the screen size of 14 to 21 inches, one didn't notice those strings, but the bigger the screen, the more magnifying of the otherwise-unnoticed strings takes place.

Some films have lots of flaking (bright spots from where the emulsion had flaked off the film) or scratches, and the poor quality of the film gets accurately captured to DVD or stream, and those flaws are "in your face" on a big HDTV.

There are also other artifacts from filming off of TV screens (how some of the 1940s and early 1950s TV shows were preserved) or ghosts introduced by videotape that get copied onto the DVD or stream.

So, do you just grin and bear those magnified imperfections? Or do you have ways of dealing with such imperfections? Do you keep an old or small TV around for just such occasions? Or do you have some magic box that will shrink the image or clean up the image? Or some secret TV setting? Or do you avoid older content unless it has been painstakingly restored to its original grandeur?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Other than watching old material at 4X3 there isn't any magic. I love having the opportunity to view old classic films and some of the TV shows from my youth. If there is some grain it doesn't bother me at all, I know they do their best to restore old movies but there is only so much they can do. If it's so painful to you then watch something else. As for me I'll watch and enjoy, imperfections or not. There is no downside to HDTV.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

So, do you just grin and bear those magnified imperfections? Or do you have ways of dealing with such imperfections? Do you keep an old or small TV around for just such occasions? Or do you have some magic box that will shrink the image or clean up the image? Or some secret TV setting? Or do you avoid older content unless it has been painstakingly restored to its original grandeur?

I know we notice different things, but if the imperfections are bothering you, the movie must not be all that interesting. But then again, I've watched really old movies without a problem and they've always had imperfections even without an HDTV.

There's no secret TV setting or video processor that will ever get it 100% equivalent to modern HDTV. You might soften the image a little to get rid of the noise, but then the image is soft. A smaller CRT TV might work (and I know more than one person that does that with video games; an NES or Atari looks like crap on a modern HDTV), but then, it's a smaller TV. Some movies get restored, but that only goes so far and leaves out a lot of really interesting movies that go unwatched.

Pick your poison. It is what it is.

FWIW, modern movies have their own issues in HD. You see the shortcomings of makeup on actors and notice every imperfection. Turns out there are a lot of bad pores in Hollywood. tongue.gif

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As the saying goes garbage in equals garbage out however as most of the others pointed out if the movie itself is great I can ignore the video quality!!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Some displays have memories that let you tailor various image settings. One memory, for example, could be selected that has a greatly reduced sharpness setting, making shows with too much grain or noise less distracting. My slowly aging 65VX100U Panny plasma has noise filtering options, too. Tinkered with these options a few years ago but rarely use now. Mostly use the preprogrammed Cinema setting for 24p (dramas) but watch other material with the Standard 1080 setting, since non-1080 /24p has colors that appear too 'rich' viewed in Cinema mode.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page