Novi, MI Reception Issues and set up help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hello,

New to OTA HD signals and just moved to the area.  I just bought a RCA ANT751 which I just installed in my attic.  Pointed it towards the 90-105 degree direction.  Here are my TV Fool results, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae1e4bf2f377

Here are my issues:

I had to run 40 Ft of RG6 which is coupled to the run from my Master Bedroom to a spliter that sends the signal to the TVs ion 3 other rooms.

I ran my tv auto signal search and got 2.1, 2.2, 4.1, 4.2, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 9.1, 20.1, 20.2, 50.1, 56.1, 56.2, 56.3.  All are 87% plus signal strength.

The Channels I am missing are 48.1, 38.1 and 62.1 which is CBS and the one I want the most.

I also have a Mohu Leaf which is connected directly to a TV on the first floor.  I not only get the channels I already get with the ANT751, but the ones that I am missing and more.

What is my issue here?  Too long of a run for a passive splitter?  The coupling at the Master Bedroom point?  Do I need a Channel Master 3414 4 Outputs Distribution Amplifier to replace the passive one that came with the house?

Please Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
What is my issue here?

Move the antenna and try again. As little as 6-12" can make a difference, especially when the antenna does not have clear line of sight.
Quote:
Too long of a run for a passive splitter? The coupling at the Master Bedroom point?

Don't know. You will need to do some some single cable test with a temporary cable each set to see if the problem is the signal off the antenna or if it's the distribution cabling.
Quote:
Do I need a Channel Master 3414 4 Outputs Distribution Amplifier

Probably not. Your signals in your area are calculated to be strong enough to push several hundred feet of cable plus splitters unless, of course the antenna is in a dead spot for certain channels. Happens all the time in attics and its far more severe if you have trees in front of the antenna.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the issue with moving the Antenna is how bad the attic is set up.  There is no easy way to move and mount it in another place.  There are no cat walks.  Maybe I need a pro, but what will that cost?

An update, I linked the other TV that had the Mohu to the attic antenna and I get 62.1, but with a little stuttering.  I am confused, how can one TV get the signal and the other does not?  Doesn't that tell me that the antenna is getting the signal, but is losing it along the way to the other TV?

Plus I get all the other signals at full strength.

Other than moving the antenna are there other options?

post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You can make excuses or progress, if you want, but I've already given you the directions to a solution.

You have an antenna that is matched to your location, now all you need to do is put the antenna where IT needs to be. There is no Band-Aid or magic pixie dust that will patch a broken location.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemafreak1 View Post

Well, the issue with moving the Antenna is how bad the attic is set up.  There is no easy way to move and mount it in another place.  There are no cat walks.  Maybe I need a pro, but what will that cost?

An update, I linked the other TV that had the Mohu to the attic antenna and I get 62.1, but with a little stuttering.  I am confused, how can one TV get the signal and the other does not?  Doesn't that tell me that the antenna is getting the signal, but is losing it along the way to the other TV?

Plus I get all the other signals at full strength.

Other than moving the antenna are there other options?

I'd try the Leaf on each of your televisions. That would certainly eliminate the long cable run.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Tuners are different from TV to TV. Not surprising one can display a marginal signal when another one cannot.

Attics are multipath nightmares. Finding the sweet spot - if there is one - can take forever. Depending on the materials used in your roof or siding, air conditioning equipment and romex running through the attic.. interference can be extreme. I'm not far from you and I can get Toledo with a small yagi from an upstairs bedroom ..but not at all from the attic. I had to go to the roof to get around my neighbor's house, which was causing enough reflection to make using rabbit ears or an attic antenna useless.

If you need to, get some heavy-duty plywood cut into strips to make your own catwalk. Better still, head for the roof.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM

Liked: 10
The long run will most certainly degrade your signal especially if split. Location is key, but a pre-amplifier next to the antenna may solve your problem.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

Found the two main issues, cable run and split. I hooked old 14 inch tv direct to antenna and all good. So I shortened the run, added an amp and used a 3 way splitter instead of the 5 that come with the house. All good....30 channels!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page