Amp recommendation in Judsonia Arkansas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a HDB91x mounted at about 15-20 feet on a mast at the peak of the roof. The UHF antenna is aimed roughly SxSW. I also have a Y10-7-13 that has yet to be mounted with a VHF/UHF joiner. I plan on running (2) HDHR3-US (4 tuners total).

In this setup what if any amp would be best?

Channels I'd like to get:

KASN(39)

KARK(32)

KTHV(12)

KLRT(30)

KATV(22)

My TV Fool report

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Please post the link to your TVfool plot, not a picture of it. The link is more useful.

Is that the Solid Signal knockoff of the 91XG you have?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Please post the link to your TVfool plot, not a picture of it. The link is more useful.

I have updated my original post removing the picture and replacing it with a link to My TV Fool report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Is that the Solid Signal knockoff of the 91XG you have?

It is.

Thanks

post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Additionally, is it advisable/ok to mount the VHF antenna on the same mast (Winegard DS-3000) as the UHF? The UHF antenna is mounted at the very top of the mast so the VHF would have to go below it. I have an additional mast for the VHF antenna should it need it but would prefer to use the single mast if it would work just as well.

Thanks

post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

It's really up to your circumstances and capabilities whether to use the same or separate masts. If you can get suitable reception with one antenna over the other on the same mast, then, by all means do so if the mast can support them. Sometimes, though, the signals don't play nice and the UHF and VHF antennas need to be in either the same location or in very different locations which means you have to do something else.

Your forecasted signal powers combined with the selected antennas will offer you a good chance of not needing an amp. Put the system together and give it a test drive to see how it goes, then consider an amp if one is indicated.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Alright. I got it setup with both antennas and a single HDHR3-US. I don't have a real signal meter and I don't see any way to get meaningful values out of the HDHR so here are the screen caps from it's status from each channel.

1. Is there anyway to get useful info like dB & SNR out of the HDHR's or to convert it's "meters" into real values?

2. If possible to judge from the above, would I need an amp to add a second HDHR?

post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
1. Is there anyway to get useful info like dB & SNR out of the HDHR's or to convert it's "meters" into real values?

You'd have to buy the upgraded "Tech" version for that.
Quote:
2. If possible to judge from the above, would I need an amp to add a second HDHR?

Not with any accuracy.

Install a two-port splitter and see if and how the readings change. If they are still acceptable, then you're probably okay.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtB45 View Post

1. Is there anyway to get useful info like dB & SNR out of the HDHR's or to convert it's "meters" into real values?
Probably not. The RF section is in a sealed module, and the AGC will mess with any attempts to interpret signal data.

Is there any display that shows BER? That's the only thing that really counts. Ideally you want to have a zero BER (bit error rate), but a reasonably low uncorrected BER is OK as long as the corrected BER is at or near zero.

Quote:
No. If you have an RF splitter, you can hook it up to see how it affects your readings though. If you don't have one, they only cost a couple bucks and can come in handy in your toolkit.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page