Cape Girardeau, MO antenna help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have never used free tv but I'm more than ready after charter raised my bill over $50 higher for the same service to over $130 total which I cannot tolerate. So I have a few questions - will I just have an antenna and a coax cable running from it to the back of my tv? Or will I need some sort of box in between?
I would also like to know which antenna I should buy? I would like the channels in yellow as well.
Link to my location and channels:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aee15ebfb4c9

Please let me know any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't really know where to start hooking this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I would post your TVFool results to the Local HDTV forum that is specific to your area. That way, the folks in your area can recommend the type of antenna that should work well for you, either indoor or outdoor. However, keep in mind that an outdoor antenna (roof mounted) is usually preferable depending on your location and what's around you.

You can take the coax antenna input and connect that directly to the Coax/Ant input on the back of your tv and use the tv's internal ATSC tuner to scan and lock onto the local HDTV stations. If you have a HTS, you can then run an optical cable from your tv to the receiver and listen to discrete 5.1 audio when presented.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It depends on your TV. Newer TVs can take a direct feed from your antenna (I'll leave it to more knowledgeable forum members to advise you on antennas ). Older TVs (without digital tuners) will need a converter box. Back at the analog/digital TV conversion, there was a $40 government subsidy for converter boxes and they were easy to find. There are still a few out there, but you may have to dig through Ebay. I have both the DTVpal box and the Digitalstream box and both work well, although I prefer the DTVpal. The DTVpal is no longer made, but can be found on Ebay. There is a very good forum here at AVS on converter boxes if you need to go that route.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #4 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzman720 View Post

I have never used free tv but I'm more than ready after charter raised my bill over $50 higher for the same service to over $130 total which I cannot tolerate. So I have a few questions - will I just have an antenna and a coax cable running from it to the back of my tv? Or will I need some sort of box in between?
I would also like to know which antenna I should buy? I would like the channels in yellow as well.
Link to my location and channels:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aee15ebfb4c9

Please let me know any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't really know where to start hooking this up.
charter did the same thing to me. they now have advertisements for 12 month deal for new sign ups.
funny thing I signed up last year on the 24 month plan/no contract, and it should have only gone up $10.
so I too am not happy.

there are groups maybe from your area who might be able to help.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/45/local-hdtv-info-and-reception
you may have to search it out on that forum.

I can tell you that even if you see one channel listed they may be broadcasting 1,2,3,4,5 or up 20 channels on the one listed.
like the guy who checked on here from san jose ca. they have a channel 1 that uses 13 digital SD channels and 7 radio
channels. just on channel 1. I use to browse 81 channels in san jose. but now in Tn I do not get that many.

as for any old TV antenna will work just as good as it did in the past. during the recent upgrades to digital broadcasting
many of the stations went to UHF it uses a smaller antenna and they can make you think you are still watching channel 4
even when they are broadcasting on UHF channel 50, just to say. it is all digital. the channel 1 in san jose Ca. is
broadcasting on real channel 43; as a example. so when old analog went away some went back to where their old
original channel was, so you will probably need a VHF antenna too...
as in the old days the bigger the better. and there is no HD TV antenna....it was just a baited sales pitch to sell UHF
cheapo antennas.

from what I see on your antenna TVfool you will need a TV antenna to tune in VHF 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 12.
here near nashville I get two PS stations only. I use to get 20 in san jose. so I will be upgrading to a 1 meter satellite
dish for some free OTA broadcast channels. there was a Lousiana PBS sat that had 4 HD channels and I also believe
a satellite at 97 degrees has about 100 channels there SD but one MHZ TV at time had Austrailian rules football there.
that was a PBS local channel in the san jose area.

PS> I am just guessing that you have a new enough TV to scan the digital stations,
if not you will need to get the adapter decoder box they use to sell.

my HT
post #5 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

oh ya, the OTA free TV stations are usually clearer and better resolution than your cable ever was.
this even compared to their HDTV.

my HT
post #6 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

It depends on your TV.

That's true but being as the OP posted to the HDTV forum, one would assume that he has a tv with an internal ATSC tuner.

@eaamon - channel 1 OTA here in the Bay Area does have a lot of sub-channels, most of which are useless to a lot of us so we just don't watch them. The more sub-channels you get on an OTA station the more it becomes like cable with poor pq because bandwidth is just maxed out. Most of the major network affiliates here have only 2 or 3 sub-channels so the pq is still very high. I get over 40 stations here (without using my rotor) but realistically we watch only about 10. Weather is not an issue for us. And I agree with you, OTA is typically much better than cable or sat but there are certain conditions that have to be met to insure that.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

you confuse me on the comment about several channels in one single channel to browse?

and I don't know the differences in antennas I thought an antenna was an antenna, so what you are saying is I need an uhf & vhf antenna? will this be one in the same or 2 separate antennas?

post #8 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Please read the sticky notes before posting. See my edit.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Please read the sticky notes before posting. See my edit.
but Don you know and so do I the cable companies said all TV channels were going AWAY!!!
but you could still use your cable box to use your TV, the old analog one.
I'm just trying to help.

my HT
post #10 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzman720 View Post

you confuse me on the comment about several channels in one single channel to browse?
and I don't know the differences in antennas I thought an antenna was an antenna, so what you are saying is I need an uhf & vhf antenna? will this be one in the same or 2 separate antennas?
it could be the same antenna as this one at amazon. there are several to choose from.

I see you are from MO near St Louis. you might find out more info there.

and otto, you are right about the quality.

my HT
post #11 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Unless he has Low VHF channels, that large 8200 antenna is unnecessary. Otherwise, a Winegard 7696 or 7698 would likely be better. Or for strong UHF, a 91XG or DB8e. Or a 43XG or DB4e depending upon if a more moderate antenna is all that is needed.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Good grief,quit confusing the newly arrived! Channel 1 in San Jose is a special case and is one of kind that goes to such extremes in jamming so many streams into a single channel.

No, there is absolutely no need for a behemoth like the 8200. Absolute waste of aluminum.

I have family down in the Cape area that I've helped out, so I have some experience there.

First off, understand that Cape is a very small market with very few stations in the Southern Illinois market, not St Louis.

You will also need to define your priorities as to which stations you really need.

On the "easy" list will be:
KBSI - Fox & Myn (WDKA in SD)
KFVS- CBS, MyN/CW (WQWQ-LP), Weather
WPSD - NBC, Heartlad (formerly TNN), AntennaTV
K10KM- ABC

Southern Illinois University at Carbondale has had a construction permit to build a Cape area translator for several years but I do not know if it has ever been built If it has, PBS will be easy. If it hasn't PBS will be hard. You will have to decide if PBS is worth the effort if you have to get it from their DuQoin-area transmitter on channel 8.

If you want PBS-8, pick the Winegard 7698 and aim it toward DuQoin.

If you don't care about PBS, then pick a small 7-51 or 7-69 antenna like a ClearStream 2V, HBU22, CM2016, or 7694. All should work.

Don't use any preamplifier, it will probably overload.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

but Don you know and so do I the cable companies said all TV channels were going AWAY!!!
but you could still use your cable box to use your TV, the old analog one.
I'm just trying to help.
Wasn't talking to you. Needed a location in the title, hence the edit. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Yes, you'll always be able to rent a box from the cable company that'll output to an analog television or at least one with a VIDEO input.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page