Cable TV - RG6 to HDMI - Tennessee - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys/gals! I couldn't find any thing that could help me get to an answer to my problem.

I currently have cable TV from the local provider running to my TV via a RG6 cable. I had to get a sound-bar because the speakers on the TV are getting worn out. But the sound-bar only has two options: an HDMI port in and an HDMI back out to the TV, or an optic in with a headphone jack in.

Link to sound-bar:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/HW-F450/ZA

The TV is a cheap Samsung that we got on Black Friday last year and only has a shared component/composite jack, RG6 cable jack, and 2 HDMI jacks.

So, in order to use the sound-bar, I have to somehow get it to one of those options. But I'd ultimately like to get it to HDMI to run it through my sound system and not have to use 3 remotes. I know that it would require a converter to get the signal from analog to digital. But there's so much crud out there that doesn't work, I'd rather ask than blow money and be peeved. Is there anything like a DVD or Blue-Ray player that will do the trick? I'd rather pay 100-150 dollars for something that'll do it than an extra 25 dollars a month for an IPTV tuner and a bunch of replicated channels (SD, HD) that I don't need.

This is my last try at finding a way around the IPTV option. Thank you for your time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Plug everything into the TV, and then optical out to the soundbar. Then universal remote to control both TV and soundbar?
post #3 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog007 View Post

Plug everything into the TV, and then optical out to the soundbar. Then universal remote to control both TV and soundbar?

His TV doesn't have an optical out port.

Your easiest option is probably to just get a cable box. Then you could either run optical or hdmi from that to your soundbar.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Something like this?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/GX-SM530CF/XAA?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279

Came across it this morning in one of the recent threads. Not familiar with the Cards that it uses except that I know that DirectTV and Dish use them for their boxes. Would I need to get one from the cable provider for it to work? Or would it just convert the analog signal to digital without it?

post #5 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What is the model number of your TV? I find it hard to believe it doesn't have any kind of audio out port at all. Most of them at least have one digital ouput, or at least a mini jack output.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

It has a "Service" jack. But I don't know what that is. Here's the link for my el cheapo TV:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN32EH4003V

post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 22
If the sound bar only has an HDMI input, then what you need on your TV is a HDMI port for audio return channel (ARC). On my set it's the #2 HDMI port. It's clearly labeled "2 (ARC)" on the back panel. If your set lacks ARC capability, you may not be able to use the sound bar. If it does have ARC, you need to connect the sound bar to the ARC HDMI port, and then configure the TV to use that port for ARC.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 27
Soccerace007 you really have only three options with your TV. Get a HD cable box from you provider. If you are a Charter customer this will be necessary next year regardless as they migrate to an all digital platform. Second option is look at TiVo right now It may not require a cable card rental to get the channels you now receive.
Last option is return the soundbar and live with your tv speakers because the model listed above has no output options.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

If you are a Charter customer this will be necessary next year regardless as they migrate to an all digital platform. Second option is look at TiVo right now It may not require a cable card rental to get the channels you now receive.
I'm a Charter customer w/ 2 TiVo boxes. Charter charges me for both CableCards. According to the tech, if I had only one, the CableCard would be free...but Charter says lots of things that isn't true, so...

Right now I'm getting by with CableCard + tuning adapter. Does this mean that they'll be forcing me to use a cable box soon?

post #10 of 14 Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 AM

No you will be fine with your setup although the tuning adapter will probably go away after the all digital transition because SDV will probably go away at that time.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 AM

I know that I'd never be so lucky to have the horrible thing just go away without being replaced by something even more odious. If QAM goes away, then obviously my TiVo's QAM tuner will not be able to work on its own. So what's the catch? A full-blown cable box for every DVR?

post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

So I tried the Samsung cable box that I posted up quite a ways. I would still need to rent a cable card (which was no big deal at $5/month) and had to purchase the channel package that costed an extra $25/month. And on top of it, the cable company here said that they were getting rid of the cable card system. So eventually, I'll just get their package with their IPTV set-top box included.

Thanks for all of the input!

Soccerace

post #13 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Speed Daemon QAM will eventually go away and cable companys will transition to a video over IP solution and at that time settop boxes will either have an internal modem or connect to the home network. i would say that this transition will be sooner than later probably within the next 5 years for your larger providers.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

Speed Daemon QAM will eventually go away and cable companys will transition to a video over IP solution and at that time settop boxes will either have an internal modem or connect to the home network. i would say that this transition will be sooner than later probably within the next 5 years for your larger providers.
From an engineering standpoint, that would be a most desirable approach. So much latent bandwidth is wasted on unwatched channels, and switched digital video is a kludge. Packet switching is the future. As telcos and cable providers alike are reaching the limits of ATM, it's a good time to roll out new infrastructure based on Ethernet and IP.

I fear that cable companies will be greedy and backwards, and use the transition to impose even more draconian limits on how we view their content. Specifically I worry that new IP-based cable plants will block Internet streaming altogether. I hope and pray that the FCC will regain its voice in time to block such monopolistic practices. But the realist in me sees today's political climate, and has little real hope that will happen any time soon.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page