Johnson City, Texas: When i added the wingman, i lost all my analog UHF channels, any idea why or how to bring them back? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Friend gave me the wingman, so i tossed it on and lost most of my channels, i only get 4 digital now when i got a combo of 18 before!  Any one know what i did wrong??? Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I take it a wingman is an antenna. VHF only?
post #3 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It might be just a UHF or a VHF antenna and not both, which could cause you to lose channels.

Which exact model is it, and give a tvfool report. Could better help out.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Its a Winegard Wingman which attaches to your Sensar antenna to maximize reception, mostly for UHF digital.  What seens to have happened within moments of installing is when scrolling through channels one by one all the analog UHF went away, since most channels are not digital in central texas, johnson city in particular (deer lease) I lost most of my channels.  I've tried having the tv scan yet it only finds 4 digital channels whether i select cable or antenna input.  It also issued a message once saying digital was the chosen input, so maybe i've gobbered that up somehow.  I really had no reception problems, a fellow hunter was getting only 2 channels so he bought the wingman (like a booster for the winegard antenna) for his, but then found out he already had one, so gave it to me and i like a dummy installed it causing this problem, errrrrrr!  I will go to lease again friday and mess around with it so i can catch some college ball saturday.  anyway just wondering if anyone else had this odd trouble?  I'll figure it out just was looking for some ideas....

post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The Wingman is a UHF add-on for the Winegard Sensar, the ubiquitous wing-shaped antenna on RVs and travel trailers. By itself, the 5' Sensar is a very lousy UHF antenna so Winegard came up with a clip-on front end that improves UHF performance.

It is highly unlikely that the OP lost analog UHF since there isn't any in Johnson City, TX. Other that a few LP or CA stations still holding licenses, everything from Austin is digital and has been for almost 5 years.

If you post a TVFool plot using the coordinates of your lease and if you identify actual stations that were lost, then your reception can be analyzed
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here is Winegard's performance "documentation" for that product.

It will purportedly "increase db gain up to 100% on DTV channels"

Note that the performance chart visually depicts flat gain improvement across a broadcast reception band of channels 14 to 51, uniformly "increasing" it from "Great" to "Excellent". Since I'd be more inclined to rank Great above Excellent in any common usage I might otherwise make of those terms, I will not attempt to further contemplate their incorporation therein.

FWIW, KCWX 2.1 and 2.2 are broadcast both on real channels 5 and 8, so you may be getting just that one TV station and it is showing up at two places in your guide and thereby accounting for the four channels you now receive..

Did you rescan when you installed this antenna? If you did, and if you inadvertently selected "cable" instead of "antenna" or "off-air", a lot of TVs will recognize and map broadcast ATSC channels even when they are set for cable, and in your case, will limit your TV to receiving just KCXW and indexing its four subchannels.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Silly me, i forgot we went fully digital a few years back.  OK, i will re-phrase, i lost many channels, list to come.  My coordinates are 30.287013, -98.470472  

When i look on tvfool, the list of available channels doesn't match too well with what i had before or since.  I only get 2.1, 2.2 and 7.1 (only 7.1 is listed on tvfool), so not sure if i'm using that tool correctly.  The channels i lost are 14, 18, 24, 36, 42, 54, 62 and a few variants of each.  I've been on that lease 7 years, all the time with the same channels pretty much.  The instant i added the wingman (no particular model on box, just says it works on  Sensar units) and went down to check tv, it started indicating 'no signal' for the channels listed above.  So i did the reprogram of channels, air.  found only 4 (can't recall 4th), tried cable for grins, takes much longer to scan yet same 4 channels found.  went to 2nd tv in trailer, for a few moments it displayed the 'missing' channels, then they too disappeared.  So i am not sure if antenna stopped pushing some of the channels to tv's when wingman went on or if something else changed.  Tried powering everything down (pulled plug on trailer) for a few mins then restarted all and rescanned tvs, same.  Errrr, I know i shouldn't even be watching tv, but football is tough to give up on saturdays!    :eek:        

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

post #8 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You did point the front of the Wingman/Sensar assembly towards Austin, yes?

If so, remove it and go back to the way it was. Of course, you could always call Winegard since it's their product and they should be able to diagnose and correct problems with their stuff.

Mike,

Yeah, I remember seeing that same chart at a local RV dealer's parts counter two or three years ago when I was there looking for a part.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Also, make sure you plugged everything back in properly.
You might not be getting power to the antenna (forgotten plug, or a loose.shorted connector).

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #10 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM

If you were receiving ch 62 you probably had a catv signal. Are you in a rv park and is there a connection to your trailer? Some of the Winegard inside plates have a small button that selects an external input or the roof antenna. Could you have punched that button?

Otherwise you could have disrupted the connection at the antenna when you added the Wingman. Check the connection at the antenna. Did you try to aim the antenna? UHF reception without the Wingman has many lobes and the best direction with a Wingman could be different.

If you put everything back as it was before the Wingman you should be back to where you started...if not check all the connections;
post #11 of 13 Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
If you were receiving ch 62 you probably had a catv signal

Virtual channel 62.1 receiveable in the Johnson City market is Univision KAKW VHF channel 13 in jgue498's market.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

Virtual channel 62.1 receiveable in the Johnson City market is Univision KAKW VHF channel 13 in jgue498's market.

Thanks. I saw the channels listed and thought the OP may have been watching analog signals. My bad. Also the Wingman should not have effected rf ch13.

As others noted it's was more likely to be a connection problem. The antenna has a preamp that is powered on the transmission line.

Dave
post #13 of 13 Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure what happened to clear things up but its all better now!  I returned to deer camp 1 week later, performed the same 'channel search' on tv selecting the same thing, antenna as the source and poof all the channels are back.  Its actually trying to catch 2 new ones but i probably need to tweek antenna direction and don't want to mess my 18 others up now.  thanks!

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page