Is it at all possible to connect composite wires into component inputs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am buying a new HDTV. One of the TVs I am considering does not have composite inputs, only component and HDMI. I'd really like to be able to connect some older gaming consoles and a VCR to it though. Is it possible? Do I need a special adapter? Or is it simply not an option?

The TV I am referring to is the Samsung UN32EH5300 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz Smart LED HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
According to this product "specs" page, http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH5300FXZA-specs , one of the component inputs can be used as a composite input.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84

As mike said with many of the new TVs that look to only have a component input, one of the component jacks are shared with composite. I personally don't like this since I use both component and composite and unless one wants to unplug things each time you can't but this seems to be the wave of the future, analog is dead :(

If your device didn't have composite, you could always purchase something like this, but I've always found the picture quality of such devices to be dubious at best.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=9994&seq=1&format=2

post #4 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 273
If you have a few "composite" devices to feed to the TV, try something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/3-Way-Switch-Selector-Splitter-XBOX360/dp/B004T8KZCM
post #5 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how those TVs with a shared component/composite jack work.... I mean I wonder what tells the TV that you are using composite vs component? Is it a voltage sensing circuit or some sort of mechanical switch like was used on VCRs.....Reason I ask is if it's voltage sensing then maybe something like this would work but if it's a mechanical switch then it wouldn't work because with all 3 wires plugged in the TV would always be looking for a component input, even if you only had composite going to one of the inputs of the switcher.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

post #6 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

As mike said with many of the new TVs that look to only have a component input, one of the component jacks are shared with composite. I personally don't like this since I use both component and composite and unless one wants to unplug things each time you can't but this seems to be the wave of the future, analog is dead frown.gif

Component IS analog. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I wonder how those TVs with a shared component/composite jack work.... I mean I wonder what tells the TV that you are using composite vs component? Is it a voltage sensing circuit or some sort of mechanical switch like was used on VCRs.....Reason I ask is if it's voltage sensing then maybe something like this would work but if it's a mechanical switch then it wouldn't work because with all 3 wires plugged in the TV would always be looking for a component input, even if you only had composite going to one of the inputs of the switcher.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

That's a good question. If I remember right, you use the green "luma" port as the composite, so maybe that's the one active all the time.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Component IS analog. biggrin.gif

exactly my point.....analog is dead :(

When new TVs only give us 1 component and even that is shared with composite, well doesn't give us much choices. Not to mention that things like newer BD players lack all but HDMI output.

post #9 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 16
I think you have to select component or composite in the menu settings. You can connect composite to any Y (green) component input that can accept 480i and see a black & white image.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Best bet is to reference the user's manual for proper operation. smile.gif
post #11 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I wonder how those TVs with a shared component/composite jack work.

On my Vizio E500i-A1, purchased June 2013 (5 months ago), the component Y (Luminescent) connector doubles as the Composite Video connector. The "Input" selection has these selections: TV (F connector for antenna or cable), AV, Component, HDMI-1 through HDMI-4.

So, at least with my TV, I have to select "AV" to use the Y connector on the component port for composite video, and "Component" to use the component port as component; that is how it knows whether to extract color information from the Pb and Pr connectors, or to demodulate color information from the Y connector. I haven't actually tested the Composite/Component port because the only devices I had ever hooked up to it have been connected via HDMI.

That was the first TV I had owned that had a combined component & composite port. It is also the first TV I had no need to connect any analog devices to it.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Mark, if thats the case then a 4x1 component switcher like the one I linked would expand not only the component but also composite inputs, of course with a maximum total number of both combined being 4.

post #13 of 18 Old 11-30-2013, 06:05 PM

But the composite switch box approach doesn't work on my new (smart TV) Samsung: As long as ANY cable is connected to the other component connectors, the tv thinks the input is component. Even if the cables go to a switch box whose input has no other connections. Maybe this is different for other tvs, but this is how mine works.

I would love to know how the tv 'knows' that cables are connected even when there is nothing else connected to those cables on the other end. Knowing that would let me figure out how to connect them to allow my composite switch box. Actually, the switch box doesn't know what three channels re connected, could be composite video, audio right and audio left, or Luminance and two chrominance (component), or whatever, I tried composite video alone on one input, and component on another input, and all three cables from the switch output to the shared component/composite input. But even though the composite input only had ONE cable connected, the tv saw all three cables and assumed component.

I am going to try putting cable terminators on the unused switch box composite input connectors when I get some.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That would suck, sounds like the Vizio got it right. AFA how the TV knows, when S-video was popular it was common for it to be shared with a composite jack. Even if the other end of the S-video cable went no where the device would still look at the S-video and ignore the composite, even if their was signal to the composite input. I always assumed it was some sort of mechanical switch(triggered when a S-video cable was plugged into the socket) and maybe your TV uses a similar thing for it's other component inputs(the ones other than the one shared with composite). I was never able to use a switch box in the case of the S-video/composite situation, I always left the composite jack hooked up but had to manually unplug the S-video cable to use it. Of course to use the the S-video I could still leave the composite jack plugged in since with a S-video cable inserted that had priority.

post #15 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 12:58 PM

Rats! Physical switch in Green and Blue channel RCA connectors (but not in Red). Mere physical presence of connector, or even a small wooden (ie. non-conducting) dowel is what "tells" the TV that a cable is present. I could lightly touch the inside of the female portion of the connector with the metal end of the male RCA plug and nothing, but the moment I push it slightly, the cable presence is detected Without pushing it in, there is no reliable electrical connection.

Even if I could modify the male end of the connector so it makes physical contact, but does not actuate (spread?) the switch, it would still not work because that is the only way to tell the TV that component vs. composite cables are present. And then I would have to physical later something to get the tv to recognize component.

I think they are just trying to be too clever - to make it "easy" for us. But in trying to make it easy, they make it impossible to do what some of us want to do. Which, actually, is pretty lame, too: I want to connect my (old) VCR (VHS) to paly some old family videos. Haven't taken the time to record them all to DVD - must be 100 tapes to do. Maybe I just need to find a VCR that has component out [overkill!], or get composite video to component converter.

Jimboha
post #16 of 18 Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Or composite to HDMI converter like I linked in post #3. I think MP also sells composite to component converters.

I think the only VCRs to have component output(other than a few Panasonic DVDRs) were of the DVHS type, way overkill for your purposes.

post #17 of 18 Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I'm looking for something like that. Only for my case, it would be better for a composite to component converter due to the availability of ports/connections in my TV and amp.

Next time I guy a TV that has shared composite/component, I'll make sure I can use it the way I want. Though, by then, maybe composite will be gone from my setup.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 PM

Some have the green with a yellow circle around it, others do not but will work. My problem is I have one high dollar older DVD/CD player with only component and all through my receiver have menus that work on composite. One TV, I no longer do this, but I used a Y cable to the green and it worked fine. It seems intuitive not to run both at the same time.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page