Collinsville, OK: Large directional with pre-amp antenna question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have performed an TV fool analysis but I am not sure how to decipher the results (link below). I have also performed an AntennaWeb analysis which says I need a large-directional with pre-amp but I am not sure which one and I have read that it is better to get one without pre-amp first so I do not over drive anything that is close. 

Can someone recommend an antenna to get my search started? Do I really need to get the biggest/baddest or is that overkill?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae8f45f30251

Thank you,

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 217
It's going to depend on how many TVs you're driving and how long the coax is. Given your distance, I doubt that'd be an issue. I'd go with the large UHF/VHF-Hi combo pointed at Coweta. If you get signal issues, then you might consider shimmying up the pole and adding a pre-amp. I'm 10-15 miles from the Detroit transmitters and I have a 30db Blonder-Tongue pre-amp connected to my array (35-element UHF yagi and a separate VHF-Hi) feeding 6 tuners and it doesn't overload anything. No, I didn't need that much, but the primary purpose of the thing is pulling in signals from Toledo, Lansing and Flint.

But I digress.KOED, KTUL and KJRH transmit on VHF. Everyone else you'd probably care about is on UHF all coming from Coweta.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

So would this be something that would be best served by separate VHF and UHF antenna? I am hoping to be able to place them in the attic. 

We will be driving 2 TVs with a maximum run of about 125'. 

I am thinking something along the lines of http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-HD7694P-High-Definition-Antenna/dp/B001DFTGR4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1385524897&sr=8-13&keywords=uhf+yagi

This would be for single unit.

If separate I am thinking:

UHF - http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-91XG-Uni-Directional-Antenna/dp/B000LZ9EXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385525658&sr=8-2&keywords=Antennas+Direct+C5 or http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-ClearStream4-HDTV-Antenna/dp/B001BRXW74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385525848&sr=8-1&keywords=clearstream+4

VHF - I cannot seem to locate a specific one for this. Any recommendations?

I really appreciate the help. 

post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Borg View Post

VHF - I cannot seem to locate a specific one for this. Any recommendations?

I really appreciate the help. 

Something like this, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=y5-7-13&d=antennacraft-by-radioshack-y5-7-13-highband-broadband-vhf-yagi-tv-antenna-for-channels-7-13-(y5-7-13)&sku=716079000987 would be good for your channels 8 and 10. The antennas direct C5 would be more compact if space is an issue but I find it to be rather highly priced for what it is.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the recommendation. Size is not an issue so that should work well. I am assuming that I need something to combine the signals from both antennas. What should I look for?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

No, no no. You don't NEED two antennas. the combo you first linked to should do okay, but don't be afraid to add the pre-amp. I was just illustrating the fact that adding a pre-amp doesn't automatically result on "overdriving." Even so, it's a lot easier to put an attenuator in the line behind the tuner. You can remove it later far easier than go out in the winter and add a pre-amp.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Got it. Thank you for the clarification. 

I must say the suggestions and info is helpful. 

Have a happy Thanksgiving all.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

One last question.......

I am going to go with the single antenna and add the pre-amp. With that said, I am going to be splitting it to 3 rooms (decided to add 3rd tv). The run from the pre-amp to the power unit for it will be about 20 feet and the run from the power unit to the splitter will be 5-10'. The run from the splitter to each room will vary from 50'-100'. 

My question is....do I need to get a power distribution/powered splitter or would a passive 4-way splitter be sufficient? I am getting a little confused on all of the dB losses and such.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Start with passive and see how it goes. Given your distance and the relative lack of significant topography between you and Coweta, it should be plenty, storms notwithstanding.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
My question is....do I need to get a power distribution/powered splitter or would a passive 4-way splitter be sufficient? I am getting a little confused on all of the dB losses and such.

Basically every time you split a signal you 1/2 the power which is equivalent to 3.0dB of loss...not much different than having a pipe of water being split, essentially 1/2 the amount of water pressure out of each split. Like the above poster recommended, I would start with a passive splitter (cheaper cost wise) and if the signals are not strong enough at the TV's then look at getting a decent amplifier. If you do go that route, personally I recommend the Channel Master amps.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page