DirecTV Compression issue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've recently returned to DirectV after 12 odd years and have been a bit disappointed with the picture. The screen is just muddied with blocky artifacts across a variety of HD channels most noticeably when there is a dark/night time scene playing (it's less obvious if it's a bright scene). I have an older panny plasma and a brand new Samsung F8000 and both have the problem (though the plasma masks it better). Neither set has a problem when playing Blu-rays so it certainly doesn't feel TV related (and I've exhausted every combination of settings possible on the DTV box to try and resolve as well). I'm just not sure if what I'm seeing is "normal" (compression is a given) or if something is otherwise wrong with my service.

Tempted to call them out to look at it, but want to make sure my expectations of a relatively artifact free picture aren't out of line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Zero, sounds like you may be experiencing some errored bits in the signal feeding your cable box. If I were you I would get a service tech to come out and give everything a checkup also get them to make sure your set top output resolution matches your tv resolution. (1080i would be the correct output resolution for a cable box )
post #3 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 65
What are you using for a signal? "DTV" might mean several things....
post #4 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

What are you using for a signal? "DTV" might mean several things....

DirecTV ... sorry smile.gif
post #5 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
DTV = Digital Television

D* = DirecTV

We're gonna need a screen cap to see what you're talking about and the specific channels you're seeing it on. If it's network, then there's nothing DirecTV can do. They use what they get from your affiliate. We'll need your location.

If you're getting a lot of macroblocking such as this, you need to repoint your antenna.

On the other hand, if this is what you're seeing, then you'll looking at a standard MPEG artifact.

A fairly good barometer is ESPN. IMHO, DirecTV does a better job with this channel than most cable operators. Grab a cap off of ESPN and point to what you're seeing.

But, as mentioned above, a truckroll might be in your future.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll get a screen cap or two later this evening. I've not had time to watch too much TV but I've certainly seen it strongly on Showtime, HBO and FX. For example, the Homeland episode last week had a lot of night time scenes and the artifacts were very visible.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Here is an example I just took:

This is from MSNBC, but those blocky artifacts are exactly what I see across a lot of different channels (and programs). It's easy to spot in dark areas like the picture above.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
That's a pretty typical MPEG gradient artifact. However, there's no way to know if that was already present on the video MSNBC appears to be playing. Your screen grab looks like some B-roll. In which case we probably ALL would have seen that. It seems half of the video the news nets air comes from cell phone cams, Skype or something compressed for easy uplinking. Garbage in, garbage out.

The reason I suggested ESPN-HD is because it's generally live sports and studio shows (or a replay of same) and that would remove third-party video, film and other causes from the mix (highlights notwithstanding).

I see that garbage all the time on CNN courtesy their source video. The live studio shots of the anchors are fine.

Which model of D* receiver are you using?

Try again with something that's live sports or a live studio shot.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-06-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'd easily write it off if it was just on news nets b rolls. Alas that is the same artifacting I've seen on Showtime, HBO and other networks. I'll grab another few grabs and check espn.

Thank you
post #10 of 17 Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Snagged these off of HBO - lots of artifacts in the dark areas (eg Bane's coat in these pics):

Couldn't get as obvious an infraction on ESPN, but will keep checking that. It's an HR-44 box.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Calibrating your F8000 might help reduce the noticeability of the artifacts. Also try turning on the MPEG noise filter.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM

Liked: 12
Glad i stumbled onto this post as we get the same thing here.... Its terrible. HR34 here. MPEG NR turned on my Vizio M3D651SV, yet still not perfect looking. Bluray content, looks great.... The worst, i mean the absolute worst show i have seen do this is the show revolution. During commercials, not nearly as bad. i don't know what they are doing with that show, its horrendous to watch, We also get this on other channels also, even in the premium channels quite a bit, yet not nearly as bad. This also http://www.iceflowstudios.com/v3/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/GradientBanding1.jpg we see ALLOT.

Trying to figure this out, purchased new HDMi cables 9http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0031TRZX2/ref=zg_bs_202505011_9/178-8247772-7710305) with no difference... . Bypassed my AVR RX A-1000 to try see if that was it... Tried just about everything I can think of here on my end. And as mentioned, BluRay looks fantastic, so that takes the TV out of the equation. I wish i could figure this out, I have allot invested in my entertainment system and seeing this is just a shame.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

Glad i stumbled onto this post as we get the same thing here.... Its terrible. HR34 here. MPEG NR turned on my Vizio M3D651SV, yet still not perfect looking. Bluray content, looks great.... The worst, i mean the absolute worst show i have seen do this is the show revolution. During commercials, not nearly as bad. i don't know what they are doing with that show, its horrendous to watch, We also get this on other channels also, even in the premium channels quite a bit, yet not nearly as bad. This also http://www.iceflowstudios.com/v3/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/GradientBanding1.jpg we see ALLOT.

Trying to figure this out, purchased new HDMi cables 9http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0031TRZX2/ref=zg_bs_202505011_9/178-8247772-7710305) with no difference... . Bypassed my AVR RX A-1000 to try see if that was it... Tried just about everything I can think of here on my end. And as mentioned, BluRay looks fantastic, so that takes the TV out of the equation. I wish i could figure this out, I have allot invested in my entertainment system and seeing this is just a shame.

Still going on for me, I've pretty much given up on it. Dark scenes are truly horrendous across most channels (See my HBO grabs earlier in the tread). It happens on major network and cable shows (and premium channels) across the board. I just don't recall this when I had my old Panny plasma hooked up to Time Warner. I'm loathe to go back to cable and now am in contract obviously.

Once I get a free day I'll see if I can get a truck roll to assess it as I've done about everything I can on my side tinkering with video settings (e.g. MPEG noise filters and calibrating).
post #14 of 17 Old 02-02-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerophin View Post

Still going on for me, I've pretty much given up on it. Dark scenes are truly horrendous across most channels (See my HBO grabs earlier in the tread). It happens on major network and cable shows (and premium channels) across the board. I just don't recall this when I had my old Panny plasma hooked up to Time Warner. I'm loathe to go back to cable and now am in contract obviously.

Once I get a free day I'll see if I can get a truck roll to assess it as I've done about everything I can on my side tinkering with video settings (e.g. MPEG noise filters and calibrating).

I understand completely.... I know its not the TV though as Bluray wont do that..So what is it, DTV, There HR34?... I have done just about all i can do on my end that I can think of. If you have DTV check, please let me know if that solved your issue. i will post here also when i give them a call. I am soon going to be getting an HR44, i have read others with issue with the HR34, so that the route im going to take first I think.... But I understand completely, an awesome Tv that under Bluray looks fantastic, even PPV shows,, yet all else suck hard core.... disgusts me to no end.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Why don't you guys call Directv for a service call. The driver will only have HR44s on his truck. If you have them send you a replacement it could well be another 34.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-03-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Why don't you guys call Directv for a service call. The driver will only have HR44s on his truck. If you have them send you a replacement it could well be another 34.

I actually have the HR-44, but I agree a service call is in the future.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Been awhile and this issue has gotten so bad now i just want to smash things. My free Direct TV equipment upgrade has finally arrived, so within the next week or so I am going to upgrade to the HR44 and have a truck roll out to see if they can figure this out. Has anyone else with these "mpeg" artifact issues figured anything out on there end?.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page