Indoor antenna recommendations? (Renfrew, PA) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We'd like to cut the cord with Armstrong Cable at the end of the month.  As a test run, we tried an RCA HD flat antenna (ANT1400) from Walmart. It got some local channels, but the ABC station was totally distorted & unviewable.  Any suggestions on what kind of antenna will allow us to pick up ALL the local channels in HD?  TVfool plot is below.  Thanks for any recommendations.

www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae7ccb93afa9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Those flat panel antennas are marginal performers at best. OK for UHF but poor for VHF. But the Mohu Leaf or Winegard Flatwave may be better than the RCA. But you may want to try a Terk HDTVa or Clearstream 2V. C2V and Leaf Ultimate sold at Walmart.
NittanyL likes this.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Skip the Leaf completely, the RCA is better. The Flatwave is about the best of the bunch of the thin antennas.

The HDTVa is fairly good on UHF, mediocre on VHF. The C2V is the most expensive of the bunch but is likely to do better than any of the rest, but it's also larger which is a consideration if you're keeping the antenna indoors. Of course, the C2V can also go outdoors, something none of the rest can.

Try to locate whatever antenna you use in a south-facing window for best results.
NittanyL likes this.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 97
The HDTVa has your basic set of rabbit ears for VHF, which usually works better than those flat panels for VHF. Plus a decent UHF element and an amp. I think it is a good indoor antenna, but all of the hype the past few years has been about those ultra thin leaf style antennas. But interesting you say the RCA version does better than the leaf. Good to know, although I thought all of those flat versions get mixed reviews.
NittanyL likes this.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.  Can you guys help me understand how to interpret the TVfool chart & data?  If my color distinguishing is accurate, there are 10 channels in the "green" zone, which the key says an indoor "set top" antenna should pick up.  Out of these 10 channels, it turns out I don't get 60.1, 19.1 and 4.1 with the RCA 1400ANT.  I don't mind not getting 60.1 and 19.1, but I would like to get 4.1 since it's ABC.

Fortunately the TV (Panasonic 42" plasma) is on a south facing wall, so we just mounted the RCA ANT1400 above it.  Even if we move the RCA antenna to the window though, it doesn't help get 4.1.  Does the TVfool plot give any indication for why 4.1 wouldn't come in?  Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Does the TVfool plot give any indication for why 4.1 wouldn't come in?

Yeah, it's main tower is 40 miles away and, for whatever reason, the forecast is overly optimistic. Probably ground level obstructions that cannot be foreseen.

You will need to upgrade both the antenna and it's location for best results.
NittanyL likes this.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyL View Post

Thanks for the responses.  Can you guys help me understand how to interpret the TVfool chart & data?  If my color distinguishing is accurate, there are 10 channels in the "green" zone, which the key says an indoor "set top" antenna should pick up.  Out of these 10 channels, it turns out I don't get 60.1, 19.1 and 4.1 with the RCA 1400ANT.  I don't mind not getting 60.1 and 19.1, but I would like to get 4.1 since it's ABC.

Fortunately the TV (Panasonic 42" plasma) is on a south facing wall, so we just mounted the RCA ANT1400 above it.  Even if we move the RCA antenna to the window though, it doesn't help get 4.1.  Does the TVfool plot give any indication for why 4.1 wouldn't come in?  Thanks again.

Yes, the TVFool plot shows 4.1 to be from a different direction than the other channels you are receiving. It is weaker in strength as well. 4.1 probably needs a different aim/location of the antenna for best results. Indoor reception is a participation sport. Good Luck.
NittanyL likes this.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Yeah, it's main tower is 40 miles away and, for whatever reason, the forecast is overly optimistic. Probably ground level obstructions that cannot be foreseen.

You will need to upgrade both the antenna and it's location for best results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post

Yes, the TVFool plot shows 4.1 to be from a different direction than the other channels you are receiving. It is weaker in strength as well. 4.1 probably needs a different aim/location of the antenna for best results. Indoor reception is a participation sport. Good Luck.

Appreciate the info.  What's strange is we were initially able to get decent, semi-stable reception on 4.1 for a 1-2 days, then it went out.  Not sure how much weather plays a role, but the weather coincidentally hasn't been clear lately.  What about the following...

1. The reception on 4.1 improves drastically when the antenna is touched - basically stabilizes. Why is this and is there a way to get the same improvement without a person touching the antenna?

2. How to do you combine the use of 2 antennas aimed in different directions?

Thanks again!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyL View Post

Appreciate the info.  What's strange is we were initially able to get decent, semi-stable reception on 4.1 for a 1-2 days, then it went out.  Not sure how much weather plays a role, but the weather coincidentally hasn't been clear lately.  What about the following...

1. The reception on 4.1 improves drastically when the antenna is touched - basically stabilizes. Why is this and is there a way to get the same improvement without a person touching the antenna?
2. How to do you combine the use of 2 antennas aimed in different directions?

Thanks again!

1. Antennas interact with objects near them for better or worse. There's not much you can do about it.
2. An A-B switch can combine two antennas aimed and located differently.

I wouldn't rule out the amplified Leaf as a potential choice for rf 51. That's 4.1 in the real column on the TVFool chart. 51 is the frequency 4.1 is being broadcast upon. Another thing to keep in mind indoors is antenna height. Moving up or down a few inches can make a huge difference. Trial and error is part of the game.