HDMI in... CH 3.1 out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I am needing advice and education on how to address what I am trying to do and then what exactly I need to do it in the most cost effective manner.

I currently have someone with a computer running a series of graphics and videos to a VGA display.  That video display is run through a scan rate converter and converted to SD video.  That video is run through an RF modulator set to channel 3.  That signal is boosted and pumped through a splitter to several different TV sets throughout the building.  All is working good.  However, SD is not HD and better is desired.

The computer has an HDMI output capability and the TV's are all new enough to receive OTA channels given a chance.  The desire is to bump the image to an HD image over the coax line already run and in use.  The limiting factor is modulating the 1080p signal to CH 3.1 for the sets to pick it up.

I have searched the web and found "HDMI to Coax" and "QAC modulators" and "CATV encoders" and you name it.  At this point I am fairly fed up with trying to figure out and second guess what everything means and if  any of it will do the trick. I and especially not willing to spenf over $3k just to find out that it was the wrong thing.  I need someone's help to tell me what the item is that I am trying to find and where to find it on a budget if at all possible.  Any further information regarding why it is what it is would also be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
something from these guys: http://zeevee.com/products/help-me-choose
post #3 of 6 Old 12-20-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

That does seem to be a good chart.  It breaks it down to simple terms.  However, the product comparisons are of pieces of equipment over $1000.00.  Isn't there anything out there that does this for less?  This place is not a terribly pricey place, but they were wanting HD for their displays. 

post #4 of 6 Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to go cheap the HD998 card is low priced here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SENCORE-HDTV998-ATSC-NTSC-Video-Editing-Card-DELL-X1828-/300491703236
It will output an ATSC signal on a selectable channel from 14 to 18. The video will need to be in a file of a specific format described in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476255/rf-hdtv-modulator-for-dvhs-vcr-with-built-in-atsc-tuner/0_100
John
post #5 of 6 Old 12-20-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

That does look like an interesting solution.  But, when the TV is picking up channel 3.1, is it QAM or ATSC?  What is the difference?  Also, they are wanting to go 1080i/p and that card appears to only be 720.  I did find Channel Plus 5415HD but it seems to be component input and not HDMI.  It says that it outputs a QAM signal, as does the zvpro820.  Is that the same as CH 3.1 or do I need a decoder for each TV?  Or will setting the TV to "Cable" take care of it?  

I have gotten stuck before with things that sound and cost like they should work only to discover I had equivalent issues like trying to play a VHS tape in a Beta deck because the salesman says that Beta is better even though it costs more than VHS and it shouldn't matter since they are both NTSC.  I am trying to make sure all the pieces work BEFORE I spend the money this time since there is much confusion and many $ at stake for the project.

post #6 of 6 Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

QAM is the modulation format used by most cable companies in the US. Most but not all US TVs with digital tuners will receive it. The HDTV998 outputs ATSC 8VSB on the lower UHF channels. It can be received by all current US TVs. I haven't used the ZEEVEEs but from reports they do work. But I am not up on the resolution they support. The HDTV998 outputs the resolution of the video in the file without any changes. This can be any resolution that the TV will get including 1080i.
With any digital RF signal each TV will need to do a channel scan before the channel can be selected. To get the ZEEVEE signal the TV will may need to be in the cable mode and for the HDTV998 the TV will need to be in the antenna mode and the channel will appear as 14.1 to 18.1 as selected in the cards software menu.
1080p is not a resolution by the tuners in US TVs.
John
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page