How good is a cable HDTV signal with a high end projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all.

I have a JVC DLA-X35 projector that gives me spectacular images with Blu ray discs. The image is also pretty darned good with my Charter cable connection on the HD stations. It does leave a lot be be desired on the non-HD stations though so I just don't watch non-HD on the big screen.

Where I do have a major problem though is fast movement with the Charter cable HD signal. Football games are a classic example. Any on field fast motions results in digital break down on screen. Non-fast motions gives an excellent picture but as soon as the game action takes off down field the image breaks down.

Can someone tell me why this happens and if there is anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-24-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Suggest checking the local HD info/reception section on AVS for comments about Charter setups. Too much cable bandwidth reduction, sometimes used to squeeze more channels onto cable systems, can cause MPEG breakups during fast motion. A defective cable STB or poor hookup might cause the problem. Not having the problem with fast sports material using OTA reception from nearby stations is a sure indication of cable inadequacy--and something to show cable techs (A-B direct comparisons). If it's Charter, there's the DBS option. -- John
post #3 of 3 Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 272
^^^

This has been discussed all over the board and you should take the above suggestion and ask in your local reception thread. Every cable system is different, even different cities under the same brand can be widely different. Also, you specified "sports" but there are a dozen different channels carrying sports. Some are 1080i, some are 720p and all are compressed to varying degrees. As a reference point, if you see a lot of motion artifacts on ESPN-HD, then your cable system sucks. It's probably time to consider DSS. However, if it's a local station, but ESPN-HD looks fine, then it's the local broadcaster, not the cable system.

If it's the NBC Sports Network, well.. that looks like crap pretty much nationwide, DSS notwithstanding. biggrin.gif

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page