AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Technical (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/)
-   -   Belgrade, MT - OTA Antenna Help (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/1507477-belgrade-mt-ota-antenna-help.html)

spec1alk 12-24-2013 01:05 PM

DishNetwork and Bonten Media are in some kind of spat and this means I am not getting NBC. So, I am looking at adding OTA antenna so I can pick up my local channels and drop them from Dish (which should save me $5/mo).

Here is my TVFool output (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aecc5873539f):

I basically care about the main networks: ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC

I have a small indoor VHF/UHF RCA antenna that I can pull in CBS and PBS on because they are being transmitted from about 10 miles away at 196°. However, this doesn't help me with the channel I am currently missing (NBC). So, I am looking at installing an outdoor antenna mounted on my house. Also note that my TV is in a daylight basement (about 4' underground).

It looks like I can get all of my networks from 113°, and they are just over 18 miles away.

And my AntennaWeb: http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?City=Belgrade&State=MT&ZIP=59714&Housing=S&Accuracy=8&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=45.774464&Lon=-111.213444

When my house was built, I had the electrician run 2 RG6 lines to the southwest corner. When I had dish installed, the installer was able to use one of the lines. Here is a picture:

Notice the 2 lines coming out of the house. The installer ran both of them in the arm that the dish is on, but only 1 is being used. I am thinking of installing an outdoor antenna above the dish.

Here is a picture that shows the corner of my house and what I believe will be LOS to my OTA transmitters:

I believe my house is situated where the wall that the dish is mounted on runs east-west, perpendicular to true north (not magnetic). Here is a picture of a compass that I held roughly parallel to the house:

If I mount my outdoor antenna above my dish, it will be about 12' above the ground. I could try and push that to 15', but my roof is in the way. I am not really interested in mounting an antenna on the roof, I really would like to mount it on the side of my house. My cable run will be about 30-40'. The cable runs from the corner of the house about 25' to a box mounted on my house next to the electrical panel. If I need an amp, can I install it there? Or in the house? I only ran 1 cable from the box on the outside of the house to my main TV, however it is almost on the other side of the way from the box, so it isn't a difficult run.

My plan is to then run the cable into my DishNetwork ViP722 DVR, which has an OTA input. My reasoning for this is that then I can record OTA programming to my DVR, and it shows up in the same guide as my satellite content.

Here are my questions:
1) Does it look like I will have LOS from the corner of my house to my transmitters? I think it is a narrow window, but I think I have a window between my house and the house to the right.
2) Do I need 2 different antennas to pick up VHF & UHF?
3) What type/kind of antenna do I need to get?
4) Do I need an amplifier? And if so, does it need to be located where the antenna is or can I put it in the junction box that is about 25' away? What amplifier is recommended?
5) Is my plan of using my ViP722 as the STB a good one?
6) I plan on doing the installation myself. Is there any guidance or specialty tools I will need?
7) Anything I am missing? Does this have a high probability of success?

For reference, I did look for some threads for others in my area, and the only ones I found were old (from 2007) and for substantially more troublesome terrain.

ctdish 12-24-2013 02:07 PM

One thing to check if you used the TV's tuner, is that setting that needs to be made before a scan of whether the TV is set to cable or antenna. This is not a problem with the Dish receiver. If it was set to cable it would only get VHF channels. The top two on your PBS and CBS list are VHF.
If you drop your subscription of locals from Dish you will not get guide data for them which will make recording more difficult.
The only NBC channel identified on your TVFool list is channel 6 61 miles away.
John

spec1alk 12-24-2013 03:30 PM

One of those stations from 113°, about 18 miles away has NBC, it just isn't listed in TVFool:
KUSM-DT - PBS
KBZK-DT - CBS
KWYB-LD - ABC & FOX
K42BZ-D - NBC
K34FI-D - ???

ProjectSHO89 12-24-2013 03:40 PM

KTVM operates K42BZ as a UHF translator serving Bozeman. All your networks have their Bozeman translators on the same mountain top.

A small UHF.VHF combo like the ClearStream 2V or the RCA ANT751R should work fine. Aim it at heading 100 magnetic. No amp should be needed.

As noted, if you drop the locals, you do loose the guide data.

spec1alk 12-24-2013 05:47 PM

To be clear, are you talking about Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna with 20-Inch Mount and Audiovox ANT751R DGTL Outdoor or Outer Yagi Antenna?

The RCA/AudioVox ANT751 is significantly cheaper ($47.78) than the ClearStream ($86.59). Is there any reason I should choose the 2V over the ANT751?

What options do I have to keep the guide data?

unclehonkey 12-24-2013 09:24 PM

one note...you cant remove locals from Dish. They are a required part of the package now

2nd note...while you can plug the antenna into the back of the 722K you wont have any guide info for it due to Dish pulling the sat version of that channel

sdowney717 12-25-2013 09:35 AM

If you have a PC running windows 7 with windows MCE, then if you get a usb atsc device, send the vga or hdmi onto the hdtv from the PC and you get decent recordings and a good epg with search etc...

I am using an old USB vbox 3560 in win7 64 bit and it works pretty decently.
Getting a newer device with a better generation tuner is a good idea, maybe off Ebay for cheap..

My setup is older hardware, a core2 duo 2.3ghz socket 775 Asus P5qc with 4gb ram.
It works very well as a TV PC

spec1alk 12-25-2013 01:44 PM

Another question, do I need two RG6 wires going to my ViP722, or can the OTA channels run on the same cable as the Satellite Dish?

While I have 2 cables running from the corner of my house to the junction box, I only have 1 cable running to where my TV and satellite receiver is. My wife is concerned with having a wire running along the wall, so I would like to know if I can put both signals on the 1 cable. If not, I may need to run the wire into a bathroom closet in order to hide it.

spec1alk 12-25-2013 01:45 PM

sdowney717, I may try something like this. I have a Roku I use for more online streaming, but occasionally I need to watch something that isn't available on the Roku.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

If you have a PC running windows 7 with windows MCE, then if you get a usb atsc device, send the vga or hdmi onto the hdtv from the PC and you get decent recordings and a good epg with search etc...

I am using an old USB vbox 3560 in win7 64 bit and it works pretty decently.
Getting a newer device with a better generation tuner is a good idea, maybe off Ebay for cheap..

My setup is older hardware, a core2 duo 2.3ghz socket 775 Asus P5qc with 4gb ram.
It works very well as a TV PC