Cherry Hill, NJ antenna advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-02-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Good afternoon

I am new to this, but as with many here I am attempting to distance myself as much as possible from the cable company.  I live in a two story house outside of Philadelphia with a single roommate.  We are both busy professionals and watch TV sparingly.  Our original 90/mo bundle has grown to almost 140/mo.  Aside from DVRing certain programs and watching sporting events, there is not much we 'require' as far as cable entertainment goes.

The home is located just outside of Philly in a densely populated and flat area which seem positive in regards to the channels we would be able to pick up OTA.  Here is a link to the tvfool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b9490cc3b5c71

We have one television, a Westinghouse LTV-32w6, on the first floor of a 90-year-old house on flat land.

Questions I have:

-According to this chart, we would receive a good number of local broadcast channels with a set-top antenna.  Any recommendations on an antenna to sit 5-10 feet above ground level and be indoors to maximize the signal given our TVfool?  

-I would be difficult but possible to install a larger outdoor antenna, but it seems that the 'reach' stations are mostly the same ones, just from more distant cities.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

-I googled the TV model number and was surprised to see that it contains an ATSC/QAM/ATSC tuner.  Does this mean I would need no further converter or set top box?  Simply run wiring from the antenna to the TV?

Ultimate goal is to cancel cable, keep high speed internet.  We will hopefully get enough local channels to catch the news and sports telecasts.  We may then add netflix +/- Hulu for movies and TV shows.  Roommate has an appleTV.  We would also have the ability to watch ESPN channels via the watchespn app.  Anyone else have success with a similar setup and staying cable-free?

Thanks so much for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If you want ABC, you will want an attic or outdoor antenna. Otherwise, WPVI will just be too unreliable to be useful to you, I think. If you want to try an indoor antenna anyway, the Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa) would be a good indoor to try, be sure to extend the rabbit ears in order to get 6 and 12. But just having an antenna inside will drop your signal levels by 20-30 dB, plus introduce a lot of noise and reflections. I've taken an antenna that had only mediocre results indoors by a window, taken it outdoors by the same window, and seen every station perfectly.

If the TV set contains an ATSC tuner, then you shouldn't need any external box.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page