Train Near Me Causes Breakups With My Antenna In NYC. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi All!

I live near the train station and when the train passes by it breaks up the picture I tried everything moved the antenna every which way and still am getting it.mad.gif I have this antenna on my apt. 4th floor fire escape. any suggestions for a remedy? Thanks in advance!

Location of antenna. Fire Escape
Antenna make: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TIELEM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What make and model of television are you connecting? http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F5300AFXZA
Length and type of coax. RG-6 (25 feet)
Pre-amp. Make and model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ETDSUE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pre-amp connect to Samsung TV and Homeworx DVR Recorder with splitter.
Domicile. Apartment 4th floor
TV Fool info: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b948328b78185

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Other than moving... You're SOL IMO.
See if you can find a "local NYC" forum on AVS.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
He's got really strong signals so the preamp is probably not helping and perhaps making thing worse. No guarantees but a high gain antenna might reduce the multipath from the train. Like this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hbu33&d=antennacraft-33-element-uhf-/-high-band-vhf-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-%28hbu33%29&sku=1607900500&utm_campaign=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base
John
afterlife2 likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

He's got really strong signals so the preamp is probably not helping and perhaps making thing worse. No guarantees but a high gain antenna might reduce the multipath from the train. Like this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hbu33&d=antennacraft-33-element-uhf-/-high-band-vhf-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-%28hbu33%29&sku=1607900500&utm_campaign=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base
John

John thanks for your help! I will try it without the amp and see what happens. My signal is really good with my antenna except for the darn train passing by. Any other suggestions?

post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

John thanks for your help! I will try it without the amp and see what happens. My signal is really good with my antenna except for the darn train passing by. Any other suggestions?

try to place the antenna higher.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I really can't Aero 1 + there is no access to the roof.
Got in contact with SS and this is what they said:

I would advise trying to ground the connection for the antenna as this may reduce interference caused by nearby metal objects, or otherwise trying to use an omnidirectional antenna such as the HDBLADE mounted in the same location to see if that helps. But honestly, I am not sure if you will be able to resolve this issue unfortunately.

Does an amp make it worse?
At your location, with the transmitters only 11 miles away, chances are you will lose signals from over-amplification if you add a pre-amplifier.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

I really can't Aero 1 + there is no access to the roof.
Got in contact with SS and this is what they said:

I would advise trying to ground the connection for the antenna as this may reduce interference caused by nearby metal objects, or otherwise trying to use an omnidirectional antenna such as the HDBLADE mounted in the same location to see if that helps. But honestly, I am not sure if you will be able to resolve this issue unfortunately.

Does an amp make it worse?
At your location, with the transmitters only 11 miles away, chances are you will lose signals from over-amplification if you add a pre-amplifier.

yea, you are in a bad situation. if their suggestion doesnt work, then give Aereo.com a try and pray that the Supreme Court doesnt kill it.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If the trains causing the breakups are passing behind you, you can try putting up some chicken wire or aluminum foil behind the antenna. It may block the reflections enough to stop the breakup
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is the train electric? Try listening with an AM Radio tuned to one end or the other of the band, and see if you get buzzing or other noise.
Here in SLC, we have light rail trains, that use about 700 volts DC at some un-godly amperage (it's like, 100+ amps when running, and 900 amps when braking). They make a "zipper" sort of noise on a radio.
About all you can do is try to get the antenna away from the noise source, block the noise source from the antenna, or use an antenna with more gain (which is a "more focused" pattern to aim away from the noise source).

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page