When did Pay T.V. become the norm over OTA (Broadcast Television)? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 76 Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

It's interesting to learn how other nations fund OTA. I was thinking that perhaps the UK's having a decent amount of public funding pumped into the OTA service resulted in having a more reliable system with better quality programming than is typical in the U.S., and maybe that caused Britons to view OTA with some fondness.

I guess the difference in the UK is that we don't see the BBC as "OTA". It's available via all three main platforms - terrestrial, satellite and cable. Satellite and terrestrial are free-of-charge (non-subscription satellite is much more popular in Europe than the US I believe - though there is sometimes a small charge for a viewing card every few years if the broadcasts are encrypted) - whilst there isn't a non-subscription cable platform in the UK there are in other European countries.

The key difference is that we have national networks in the UK who organise production, distribution and transmission (though often some of this is outsourced). The local station model is not really common here. Therefore transmitters are shared between broadcasters (all OTA stations in the UK are broadcast from the same masts pretty much) and transmitter locations are planned nationally to maximise national coverage. Satellite is used in addition (and for those who prefer dishes to aerials/antennae)

OTA is very popular in the UK - but equally BBC One (the main BBC Network) is usually the first channel on any platform (101 on Sky, 101 on Freesat, 101 on Virgin Cable, 1 on Freeview etc. Though the HD/SD versions may have alternate numbers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

It's interesting to learn how other nations fund OTA. I was thinking that perhaps the UK's having a decent amount of public funding pumped into the OTA service resulted in having a more reliable system with better quality programming than is typical in the U.S., and maybe that caused Britons to view OTA with some fondness.

"Better quality programming" is a matter of taste. When I spent time in the UK in the early 90's, I used the nifty Teletext system on TV more than I watched their programming.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #63 of 76 Old 05-23-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"Are you being served?" makes "Three's Company" seem like smart TV, and I happen to think Dr. Who would get about a 1% share if it were produced here with actors who didn't have English accents.

I go back to the big dish, C-band days, and there was never enough interest in British programming to sustain the availability of even one American-accessible channel of it.
post #64 of 76 Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

"Are you being served?" makes "Three's Company" seem like smart TV, and I happen to think Dr. Who would get about a 1% share if it were produced here with actors who didn't have English accents.

I go back to the big dish, C-band days, and there was never enough interest in British programming to sustain the availability of even one American-accessible channel of it.

We haven't had AYBS for several years in my market although it was on quite frequently maybe 10?? years ago, that and As Time Goes By seems to have finally gone by. We still get Keeping Up Appearances quite often in my market and as many times as I've seen it I still enjoy it(although other members of my family disagree and quickly leave the room when I play a recent recording). Another very long running program thats been on every week for many many years is the Eastenders. Never really watched it(not that I'm against it, just not the time) so I can't say if they are new or just old repeats playing over and over again.

Sneals2000, we've had a couple free satellite distribution systems, the large 3m dishes that were mainly used for commercial distribution although a small number of people mostly in the outlying areas used them(maybe still do to an even smaller number) and FTA which uses a smaller(18-24") dish(I believe larger than the two pay distribution systems, Dish and DirecTV which are quite popular). FTA is very uncommon, I know of only one person in my neighborhood who has one. I'd think of FTA to get good quality ABC programming(my local OTA ABC channel bitstarves it's HD channel to the point of it being almost unwatchable) but last I checked FTA did not provide major networks, they were more for religious and less popular programming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air

post #65 of 76 Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

We haven't had AYBS for several years in my market although it was on quite frequently maybe 10?? years ago, that and As Time Goes By seems to have finally gone by. We still get Keeping Up Appearances quite often in my market and as many times as I've seen it I still enjoy it(although other members of my family disagree and quickly leave the room when I play a recent recording). Another very long running program thats been on every week for many many years is the Eastenders. Never really watched it(not that I'm against it, just not the time) so I can't say if they are new or just old repeats playing over and over again.
Sneals2000, we've had a couple free satellite distribution systems, the large 3m dishes that were mainly used for commercial distribution although a small number of people mostly in the outlying areas used them(maybe still do to an even smaller number) and FTA which uses a smaller(18-24") dish(I believe larger than the two pay distribution systems, Dish and DirecTV which are quite popular). FTA is very uncommon, I know of only one person in my neighborhood who has one. I'd think of FTA to get good quality ABC programming(my local OTA ABC channel bitstarves it's HD channel to the point of it being almost unwatchable) but last I checked FTA did not provide major networks, they were more for religious and less popular programming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air

Yep - very different to the UK. Over here you can buy Freesat (FTA satellite) boxes and PVRs (alongside the OTA Freeview platform) in your local supermarket.
post #66 of 76 Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

"Better quality programming" is a matter of taste. When I spent time in the UK in the early 90's, I used the nifty Teletext system on TV more than I watched their programming.

Exactly. When I was in the US and had OTA and basic cable only I had to read books, watch DVDs and use BBC iPlayer over a VPN! Horses for courses.
post #67 of 76 Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I subscribe to Acorn for my fix of British TV. Shows like Poirot and Midsomer Murders, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery's for examples.
post #68 of 76 Old 05-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have Dish locals for networks and ota also. . I tend to compare them frequently. The ota channels are so much more sharp and detailed . This is with some multicasting. Long live antennas.
post #69 of 76 Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I subscribe to Acorn for my fix of British TV. Shows like Poirot and Midsomer Murders, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery's for examples.

Err - Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is from Australia. It's not British (though it is good!) Some of the characters have quite "posh" accents - so could be confused with "posh" Brits I suppose - but the locations are pretty Aussie.
post #70 of 76 Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Err - Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is from Australia. It's not British (though it is good!) Some of the characters have quite "posh" accents - so could be confused with "posh" Brits I suppose - but the locations are pretty Aussie.

I know it's an Australian show and I probably shouldn't have included it in a discussion about British TV. It is however one of the shows that I enjoy on Acorn TV which claims to be the curator of British programming. I saw season 1 on Netflix and when I noticed that Acorn had season 2 and Doc Martin season 6, I subscribed.
post #71 of 76 Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

I know it's an Australian show and I probably shouldn't have included it in a discussion about British TV. It is however one of the shows that I enjoy on Acorn TV which claims to be the curator of British programming. I saw season 1 on Netflix and when I noticed that Acorn had season 2 and Doc Martin season 6, I subscribed.

Well Australia is part of the British Commonwealth :D

Acorn TV looks kind of interesting, nothing on it at Wiki but Goggling it brought up it's home page and for $4.99/month(first month free) it looks to have some interesting programmes.

Current Doc Martin is particularly hard to find here, AFAIK PBS does not stream current episodes. Speaking of Martin Clunes(Doc Martin star) it looks like he's on a couple other Acron programmes, DeMob and Dirty Tricks. I've seen him in William and Mary as well as Reggie Perrin not to mention a travel thing on PBS, Acorn has all the shows I mentioned, seems to be a real find for MC fans, I had no idea he was so prolific :) 

post #72 of 76 Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Well Australia is part of the British Commonwealth biggrin.gif
Acorn TV looks kind of interesting, nothing on it at Wiki but Goggling it brought up it's home page and for $4.99/month(first month free) it looks to have some interesting programmes.
Current Doc Martin is particularly hard to find here, AFAIK PBS does not stream current episodes. Speaking of Martin Clunes(Doc Martin star) it looks like he's on a couple other Acron programmes, DeMob and Dirty Tricks. I've seen him in William and Mary as well as Reggie Perrin not to mention a travel thing on PBS, Acorn has all the shows I mentioned, seems to be a real find for MC fans, I had no idea he was so prolific smile.gif  

I enjoy his characters. "Men Behaving Badly" was good too.
post #73 of 76 Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

I rather like "Are You Being Served?" and "Three's Company" (based on the British show "Man About the House"). There's nothing wrong with some good, lowbrow comedy. Even "The Benny Hill Show" had its moments.

post #74 of 76 Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 256
And.... I believe "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Son" were originally British programs.
post #75 of 76 Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

And.... I believe "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Son" were originally British programs.
Yes, they were adaptations of "´Til Death Us Do Part" and "Steptoe & Son" respectively.  [FWIW, Redd Foxx, whose real name was John Sanford, had his character renamed Fred Sanford after his own brother.]

post #76 of 76 Old 05-30-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

There was a British show called "Hustle" that inspired the U.S. version "Leverage".
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page