I got a new Furman Elite-15 PFi Power Conditioner - Should I connect the coaxial connection from my DirecTV receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone,

I just acquired a Furman Elite-15 PFi power conditioner to protect my gear. I haven't run it too long but I certainly notice improvement in audio clarity. I was wondering if you think it is a good idea to connect my DirecTV receiver through the coaxial protection circuit on the Furman unit? I have tried to connect it but I am a little perplexed as to what I am seeing. I am not primarily looking for video quality improvement though that would be a bonus. I would do it just for the protection.

But I have noticed that the picture looks substantially different when routed through the Furman. Not necessarily better either. While some menus might look sharper, some video looks more pixelated and with less contrast. It seems to have a detrimental effect on picture quality, but I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Have you all connected your satellite service through coaxial protection on power conditioners or power strips? Is this advisable or not?

Also I am wondering where exactly I should connect it to the Furman? I have a coaxial cable that comes through the wall into a small box, then another coaxial cable that then goes into a small rectangular box with blinking lights. And from there a third coaxial cable connects that box to the receiver. I'm not sure if I should connect the coaxial cable that comes out of the wall to the Furman, then to the small box, then to the rectangular box and then to the receiver? Or should it be routed through the Furman last right before it goes to the receiver? I'd have to verify but I believe that there are picture quality differences based on where it is connected.

It really appears to me that there are detrimental picture quality changes to using the coaxial connections on the Furman. But this is kind of strange since I would assume that a power conditioner of this quality would be designed to work well with satellite coaxial connections and at least not degrade the picture.

What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
1) Please don't bump threads.

2) I'm not familiar with the Furman, but it's inadvisable to route DirecTV lines through something like that without knowing its effect on upstream current. Your receiver powers the dish's lnb and the combination of voltages and tones (depending on the type of setup you have) may also be used to select satellites and transponder sets. Anything that could strip that voltage or attenuate it could affect the performance of your setup. But you might want to ask in the catch-all DirecTV thread that's in the Programming section. DirecTV is digital. It's an all-or-nothing scenario. You'll either get a picture or you won't. Lots of pixellation or freeze-ups indicate a lack of signal strength. The quality of a stable picture won't display any minute PQ differences as you suggest.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I recommend AGAINST using the Coax Surge Suppressor built into some Power Strips.....if a high voltage spike enters through the Coax cable, the last place I would want to dissipate that energy in in the vicinity of expensive electronic equipment. Ditto in the reverse direction if high voltage spike enters via the Power System.....which is readily capable of dissipating voltage spikes, whereas whatever energy that might crossover to the Tuner Inputs are NOT.

Also note that the commonly used MOV devices are DESIGNED to operate by burning up the internal crystals....which WILL degrade TV signals as more and more spikes are internally dissipated. See my earlier post on this subject:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/381623/the-official-avs-antenna-and-related-hardware-topic/5550#post_8591196

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
Hi everyone,

I just acquired a Furman Elite-15 PFi power conditioner to protect my gear. I haven't run it too long but I certainly notice improvement in audio clarity. I was wondering if you think it is a good idea to connect my DirecTV receiver through the coaxial protection circuit on the Furman unit? I have tried to connect it but I am a little perplexed as to what I am seeing. I am not primarily looking for video quality improvement though that would be a bonus. I would do it just for the protection.

But I have noticed that the picture looks substantially different when routed through the Furman. Not necessarily better either. While some menus might look sharper, some video looks more pixelated and with less contrast. It seems to have a detrimental effect on picture quality, but I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Have you all connected your satellite service through coaxial protection on power conditioners or power strips? Is this advisable or not?

Also I am wondering where exactly I should connect it to the Furman? I have a coaxial cable that comes through the wall into a small box, then another coaxial cable that then goes into a small rectangular box with blinking lights. And from there a third coaxial cable connects that box to the receiver. I'm not sure if I should connect the coaxial cable that comes out of the wall to the Furman, then to the small box, then to the rectangular box and then to the receiver? Or should it be routed through the Furman last right before it goes to the receiver? I'd have to verify but I believe that there are picture quality differences based on where it is connected.

It really appears to me that there are detrimental picture quality changes to using the coaxial connections on the Furman. But this is kind of strange since I would assume that a power conditioner of this quality would be designed to work well with satellite coaxial connections and at least not degrade the picture.

What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated.
Congratulations. I think you are experiencing what is commonly called the 'Placebo' effect. The satellite RF signal is carrying 100% digital information and would be affected in an 'all or nothing' way. No shades of gray in picture (or audio) quality with digital.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Congratulations. I think you are experiencing what is commonly called the 'Placebo' effect. The satellite RF signal is carrying 100% digital information and would be affected in an 'all or nothing' way. No shades of gray in picture (or audio) quality with digital.
I don't think so. I am not immune to the placebo effect obviously, but it is clear that the DirecTV picture looks worse when run through the coaxial protection circuit on the Furman. I've compared similar content when connected to the Furman and when not connected. No big deal as i can just connect it directly to the receiver. I'm just curious as to why that is happening?

I've read other places that some have had weird experiences using the Coaxial connections on power conditioners and surge protectors. I can't explain why but I don't have to use those circuits.

As for the quality of the Furman power conditioner itself, I can assure you that sound from my speakers and receiver has improved significantly since I plugged it into the Furman. I understand some are skeptical of quality improvements to be gained from power conditioners but the effect is reproducible and significant. Less hiss from the speakers and more dynamic range in the sound can easily be appreciated.

Some of this might have to do with the quality of the power being outputted in your neighborhood, but I think the sonic benefits of good power conditioning are fairly well known.
Reply HDTV Technical
Gear in this thread - Elite-15 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page