Morgan Hill, CA: Recommended OTA HD Reception Testing Procedure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 78 Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 24
By a couple accounts (web checks) it seems that we have very limited chances of getting reception at our location in Morgan Hill, CA.

That said, my pop wants to come here on Saturday with an antenna and experiment with me. I have an antenna also. I have a spool of RG6, fittings and tools and I plan to make a length to reach the furthest corner of the house's roof...

We will try to focus on the one to three channels that we seemingly have the best chance to pick-up. If those prove to not be doable, then we will not proceed to obtain other channels...

While performing this experimentation, is there a good protocol to follow? As it stands now, it seems that a person will need to be at the TV, performing scans, while the other person is holding the antenna in a fixed orientation (using walkie talkies). I read somewhere that it sometimes takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to get a lock onto a digital signal, and that one should wait a bit before performing a scan, or do multiple ones before concluding the reception status, and moving on to the next directional target. Would be nice if there was an affordable meter for such analysis...

There is rather tall hill on the other side of the lake. The location is about 100 - 200 yards from a lake, so relatively close to this hill. Have folks been able to get reception off of hills, mountains (bounces)?

Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Please read instructions at the top of the section BEFORE posting: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409080/note-put-a-location-in-the-title-of-all-antenna-threads-tvfool-info-in-1st-post

I've edited the title, but you'll have to supply the rest of the information. Without it, nobody can give you any real help. Which is why we post the instructions.. to save you time.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Please read instructions at the top of the section BEFORE posting: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409080/note-put-a-location-in-the-title-of-all-antenna-threads-tvfool-info-in-1st-post

I've edited the title, but you'll have to supply the rest of the information. Without it, nobody can give you any real help. Which is why we post the instructions.. to save you time.

I actually saw that, but didn't feel that it applied to this very general question. Whether it be our home in East Morgan Hill, the West side one, or my pop's place in Santa Cruz, I was hoping to learn more about the general protocol and practical steps one might follow during such experimentation and analysis. That is why I titled the thread as I did... Those who have experience in such matters often have learned a more systematic way or methodology.

Maybe just the wrong sub-forum for such. My apologies.
post #4 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There are 14 transmitters within 60 miles of Morgan Hill, CA, while you may have done your homework on what stations you may or may not get, posting the TVFools report will also help the guru's here provide an idea as to what stations to concentrate on and what just won't work.

Quote:
While performing this experimentation, is there a good protocol to follow? As it stands now, it seems that a person will need to be at the TV, performing scans, while the other person is holding the antenna in a fixed orientation (using walkie talkies). I
You pretty much nailed the best way test for the ability to received a signal in your case...TV signal meters are not always the best way, but if that's your only option then you need someone to watch the signal meter while the other person turns the antenna. The person turning the antenna should have a compass too, so that they can line up the antenna to the direction you're interest in looking at. Isn't too hard to tune HD since it either works or doesn't, although if the signal is on the weak side you'll see pixelization.

Quote:
I read somewhere that it sometimes takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to get a lock onto a digital signal
Most TV's now a days tune within 10 seconds even not even faster depending on signal quality. No reason to scan per say you can get just tune to each digital channel that you should get at your location. A lot of times with a uni-directional antenna (and no rotor) you aim the antenna to the towers you're most interested in getting.
Quote:
There is rather tall hill on the other side of the lake. The location is about 100 - 200 yards from a lake, so relatively close to this hill. Have folks been able to get reception off of hills, mountains (bounces)?
Would be helpful to see the tvfool report to answer that question...
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #5 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

By a couple accounts (web checks) it seems that we have very limited chances of getting reception at our location in Morgan Hill, CA.

That said, my pop wants to come here on Saturday with an antenna and experiment with me. I have an antenna also. I have a spool of RG6, fittings and tools and I plan to make a length to reach the furthest corner of the house's roof...

We will try to focus on the one to three channels that we seemingly have the best chance to pick-up. If those prove to not be doable, then we will not proceed to obtain other channels...

While performing this experimentation, is there a good protocol to follow? As it stands now, it seems that a person will need to be at the TV, performing scans, while the other person is holding the antenna in a fixed orientation (using walkie talkies). I read somewhere that it sometimes takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to get a lock onto a digital signal, and that one should wait a bit before performing a scan, or do multiple ones before concluding the reception status, and moving on to the next directional target. Would be nice if there was an affordable meter for such analysis...

Thanks much.

I'd recommend posting this on the San Francisco OTA thread. There are a couple people in Morgan Hill there.

Morgan Hill has hot spots and dead spots for OTA so putting the exact location into TV Fool is very helpful. 99.99% of the time you simply point the antenna at the transmitters and that's the best you can hope for. Reflections rarely work. Having two people in communication with each other is almost never a requirement to point the antenna.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #6 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are great! That's exactly the type of info I'm after bac522.

I plan to use make-shift mast of sorts, doing my best to hold it steady as possible. I imagine this might be a bit challenging. Sounds like a little wobble might be ok though.

I was think of having my iPad or iPhone up there, with compass, so thanks for confirming that thinking. I have a "normal" compass too, somewhere (we are between homes, so in a box). I was wondering about how many degree increments one should use between different test directions. Any input there is welcome too. I'll plan to have my pop take notes of the findings as my hands will be plenty full. Walkie talkies should work great for that...

I ran a TV Fool report a few days ago, and it was somewhat sobering. That said, our home from which we are moving from, where I'm at right now, is in canyon! I am able to get out with DirecTV thankfully...

Ok, the TV Fool report for the new place, the one most in question:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c644cdac3547

I put that the antenna is 25' above ground.

Thanks much.
post #7 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

I ran a TV Fool report a few days ago, and it was somewhat sobering. That said, our home from which we are moving from, where I'm at right now, is in canyon! I am able to get out with DirecTV thankfully...

Ok, the TV Fool report for the new place, the one most in question:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c644cdac3547

I put that the antenna is 25' above ground.

Thanks much.

I think I've finally seen a TV Fool report worse than mine. smile.gif

That doesn't mean it's impossible to receive stations but small low antennas are unlikely to provide satisfactory results. A 91XG for UHF and a Y10713 for VHF with an RCA preamp mounted high enough to clear all the local trees and buildings might give you semi-reliable reception. I say that because I looked at your terrain plot and the signals have to refract over a significant hill which means signals will be affected by atmospheric conditions and will likely drop out at times.

What antenna are you going to use for your test?
post #8 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

I think I've finally seen a TV Fool report worse than mine. smile.gif

That doesn't mean it's impossible to receive stations but small low antennas are unlikely to provide satisfactory results. A 91XG for UHF and a Y10713 for VHF with an RCA preamp mounted high enough to clear all the local trees and buildings might give you semi-reliable reception. I say that because I looked at your terrain plot and the signals have to refract over a significant hill which means signals will be affected by atmospheric conditions and will likely drop out at times.

What antenna are you going to use for your test?

Yes, as I said, sobering.

We don't have any ideal antennas, I surmise (don't know what my dad is bringing though). The attached image shows what I just took out of one of our cargo storage containers. It's a Radio Shack VU-75XR, and from what I just read, a good antenna, but only so with somewhat strong signals available. So, I'm guessing it won't do squat... There is no easy way to clear the trees around the house, especially toward the North, which seem to be desired pointing direction. The trees are a good 30' above the zenith of the roof.

I'll try to find-out what my dad plans to bring over and share here...

Is this a good reference for gain?

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

If that is a good source of info, this Yagi seems to be a good candidate:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=91xg

Are folks typically able to return antennas without issue, in case it doesn't cut the mustard?
post #9 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes

Does your tv have a relative signal strength indicator?

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #10 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post

Yes

Does your tv have a relative signal strength indicator?

Well, I don't know at the moment (at the old house now). It's a brand new TV, just set it up, starting to calibrate it. Would that info typically be in the manual? If so, I can find it online...

It's a Samsung PN60F5300. Pretty hard to pass up for $679...
post #11 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice TV, Tony and the price is right.

My favorite is the Signal Diagnostics screen for the SONY Bravia which gives relative signal strength, SNR, and errors.

Your Samsung has a relative signal strength indicator which should help:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/plasma/PN60F5300AFXZC-support

pp 119 to 122 of 157
Quote:
Self Diagnosis
MENU → Support → Self Diagnosis → ENTER
Signal Information: (digital channels only) The reception quality of over-the-
air HD channels is either perfect or the channels are unavailable. Signal
Information displays HD channel signal strength so you can adjust your
antenna to increase signal strength and receive HD channels.
TonyB1966 likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #12 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

rabbit73, I appreciate you finding the manual and pages!

From the report, should I only attempt to get the "yellow" channels, which are VHF?

Are folks often able to get those channels in pink too, with the right equipment and alignment? Just trying to help set the expectations here...

The report again: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c644cdac3547

EDIT / ADD - For those not aware, Google Compass is pretty slick...

http://googlecompass.com/
post #13 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

a follow-up of sorts...

My dad just told me the antenna he'll be bringing over and it's called a ClearStream4. From what I've read, it a decent to pretty good antenna, for UHF. So, I'll have that and that Radio Shack one I shared earlier. No amp, at least for this first round of experimentation...

I think I can make use of a large camera tripod at the ridge of the roof to support and rotate these antennas. The bezel has delineations where I can mark-off degrees too. Seems like it might work, so long as I can find a way to secure the antennas to the tripod...

As part of testing procedures, should one only test with the antenna horizontal, parallel to the ground so to speak? I wonder if angles of inclination are also checked... If so, I'd imagine they would be somewhat minimal...
post #14 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The general rule for inclining an antenna is to aim the antenna (boresight) at the visible horizon, whether over hills or trees, in the direction of the signal source. Small angles of inclination will have minimal effect, if any, depending on the vertical/elevation pattern of the receiving antenna. Put simply, if one has to tilt one's head back (keeping eyes constant relative to the angle of the head) and look up to see the skyline, then an antenna, especially on UHF, may also benefit from some inclination.

The C4's vertical pattern should be nearly the same as that of a C2V. You can see the C2V's vertical pattern on page 2 of its Tech Data Sheet, available at http://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_f...%2BVHF-TDS.pdf

Tech support for Antennas Direct

Last edited by ADTech; 06-13-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #15 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The general rule for inclining an antenna is to aim the antenna (boresight) at the visible horizon, whether over hills or trees, in the direction of the signal source. Small angles of inclination will have minimal effect, if any, depending on the vertical/elevation pattern of the receiving antenna. Put simply, if one has to tilt one's head back (keeping eyes constant relative to the angle of the head) and look up to see the skyline, then an antenna, especially on UHF, may also benefit from some inclination.

The C4's vertical pattern should be nearly the same as that of a C2V. You can see the C2V's vertical pattern on page 2 of its Tech Data Sheet, available at http://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_f...%2BVHF-TDS.pdf
ADTech, that is great info and very well said. I appreciate the thoughtful reply. Exactly what I was after when starting this thread...
post #16 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
From the report, should I only attempt to get the "yellow" channels, which are VHF?

I receive all the stations in my TV Fool report down to Noise Margin -10 dB. Below that it is spotty. YMMV.
post #17 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
I receive all the stations in my TV Fool report down to Noise Margin -10 dB. Below that it is spotty. YMMV.
Wow, just wow.

Might I ask, a couple different antennas, a signal amplifier as well?

Thanks Calaveras.
post #18 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Might I ask, a couple different antennas, a signal amplifier as well?

My antennas are what you see in my avatar. I have separate preamps for VHF and UHF. TV Fool can be overly optimistic or pessimistic on 2 edge paths. You never know until you try. KQED, KMTP and KBCW don't even make the list which bottoms out at Noise Margin -35 dB yet I receive them most of the time. OTOH it shows I should receive a bunch of Fresno stations that I never see.
post #19 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
My antennas are what you see in my avatar. I have separate preamps for VHF and UHF. TV Fool can be overly optimistic or pessimistic on 2 edge paths. You never know until you try. KQED, KMTP and KBCW don't even make the list which bottoms out at Noise Margin -35 dB yet I receive them most of the time. OTOH it shows I should receive a bunch of Fresno stations that I never see.
Calaveras (as in the Frog Jump?), I'm pretty damn excited. As was not planning to start this evening, but I did with that Radio Shack VU-75XR, and I got channels with it inside the house, then on the deck, more. On the roof, just a couple feet above the gutter, a few more. Now, supported with a notched ABS pipe near the roof line, my scan states 20 channels. I'm not seeing that many though... Quality not good on several, about 1/2 in Spanish, one religious possibly. And it seems that higher is not always better? I seem to have lost channel 2 by going higher. I'm pointing at 320 degrees...

Either way, this seems somewhat promising. My dad brings that other antenna tomorrow, although I believe it's just UHF, but a more competent one...
post #20 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Testing antennas at lower heights, in addition to higher ones, is a good protocol. Higher is usually better, but not always. I'd rather aim at a tree trunk than into branches and leafs.
post #21 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post
Testing antennas at lower heights, in addition to higher ones, is a good protocol. Higher is usually better, but not always. I'd rather aim at a tree trunk than into branches and leafs.
Damn, I was just wondering that... When I was lower, I was seemingly aiming right at a tree trunk about 50' away from the antenna. Higher, I was more into the heart of the trees branches. The scan I just did says 28 DTV channels. About 1/2 I get "Weak or No Signal". From that comparison link (http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html), this antenna has around 6dB gain. The one my dad is bringing tomorrow is around 12, so hopefully I can expect a bit better results.

If I decide to use one of the two locations tested so far, when routed more directly through a conduit into the attic, the run will be about 25', so attenuation should not be much of an issue, I would think... Maybe 1 to 2 db loss at the very most (RG-6), which can make a difference of course.

I just realized something different between the two locations, besides the height. At the lower spot, it was sitting on a 10" metal flue cap (I had removed a wood-burning stove, and capped it). The higher location has the antenna now sitting in a noticed ABS pipe, so no contact with metal. Might that make for a difference?
post #22 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Where are you in Morgan Hill? I'm on the Southwest side (Count Fleet Ct.) and I get some of the
Monterey/Salinas stations (most notably Fremont Peak) and some SF Bay stations (most notably
the ridge behind Milpitas/Fremont.) The OTA major network I'm missing is CBS.

Chuck
post #23 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Damn, I was just wondering that... When I was lower, I was seemingly aiming right at a tree trunk about 50' away from the antenna. Higher, I was more into the heart of the trees branches. The scan I just did says 28 DTV channels. About 1/2 I get "Weak or No Signal". From that comparison link (http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html), this antenna has around 6dB gain. The one my dad is bringing tomorrow is around 12, so hopefully I can expect a bit better results.

If I decide to use one of the two locations tested so far, when routed more directly through a conduit into the attic, the run will be about 25', so attenuation should not be much of an issue, I would think... Maybe 1 to 2 db loss at the very most (RG-6), which can make a difference of course.

I just realized something different between the two locations, besides the height. At the lower spot, it was sitting on a 10" metal flue cap (I had removed a wood-burning stove, and capped it). The higher location has the antenna now sitting in a noticed ABS pipe, so no contact with metal. Might that make for a difference?
Lots of things can make a difference. The bottom line is how well your tvs tuner can tune the channels you want. I recently replaced a tv here with a bigger one. It's as though it is a different room than before. The proper antenna locations and aims, that were right before, now are not.
post #24 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post
Where are you in Morgan Hill? I'm on the Southwest side (Count Fleet Ct.) and I get some of the
Monterey/Salinas stations (most notably Fremont Peak) and some SF Bay stations (most notably
the ridge behind Milpitas/Fremont.) The OTA major network I'm missing is CBS.

Chuck
Hi Chuck. Thanks for chiming-in. We are out by Lake Anderson, in the "Holiday Lakes" community... Our home from which we are moving from and still live at a fair amount, is in Uvas Canyon.

I didn't see CBS yet, but hope to get that one tomorrow. It would seem that KPIX is doable, but I won't be having an improved VHF antenna tomorrow. ABC and NBC were captured tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post
Lots of things can make a difference. The bottom line is how well your tvs tuner can tune the channels you want. I recently replaced a tv here with a bigger one. It's as though it is a different room than before. The proper antenna locations and aims, that were right before, now are not.
That is a factor I had not considered. Would be nice to know when shopping for a TV how well its tuner tunes...
post #25 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You don't want the antenna contacting miscellaneous pieces of metal.
post #26 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We are out by Lake Anderson, in the "Holiday Lakes" community... Our home from which we are moving from and still live at a fair amount, is in Uvas Canyon.
Are you running these tests at your current location or the location you're moving to?

Quote:
I didn't see CBS yet, but hope to get that one tomorrow. It would seem that KPIX is doable, but I won't be having an improved VHF antenna tomorrow. ABC and NBC were captured tonight...

It's not clear to me if you're talking about virtual channels or real channels. KPIX is on UHF 29, not VHF 5 so the antenna your dad is bringing should be better. Do you know which stations you received for ABC and NBC? KGO is ABC on Mt. Sutro and KNTV is NBC on Mt. San Bruno, both VHF. But KSBW has both NBC and ABC on RF channel 8 from Fremont Peak. I'm not sure you've received any stations from SF yet.

Last edited by Calaveras; 06-14-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #27 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Calaveras, I need to be brief as I need to get ready for a class with my daughter...

Thanks, no metal contact going forward. When I test at that location again, I'll use something for isolation purposes...

Sorry for the confusion. This testing is being be performed at the new location, as I believe indicated on the Fool report, out by Lake Anderson...

Yes, thank you, KPIX is on 29.1. Great news, so maybe I can get that one today with my dad's antenna. The ABC that was picked up last night was from the Central Coast, as I recall, I think along with KSBW channel 8?

Ok, need to run... Thanks again.
post #28 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The ABC that was picked up last night was from the Central Coast, as I recall, I think along with KSBW channel 8?
KSBW has NBC on 8.1 and ABC on 8.2 both in HD so you only need to receive one station to get both networks. Few stations are doing that.

Chuck
post #29 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Channel 8.1 and .2 came off Fremont Peak, so you should also be able to get Fox on 35.1 and PBS on 25.1, .2, .3 which are also there. Might have a shot at CBS on 46.1 which is on Toro Peak south of Salinas (not to be confused with Morgan Hill's own El Toro).

You may have a reasonable shot at Sutro tower, which gets you most everything. I've got too much mountain in the way for Sutro.

I suspect that won't be able to get the Fremont/Milpitas transmitters as that whole ridge just east of 101 will be in the way. The most notable thing you'll miss there is 36.1.

Chuck
post #30 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post
Channel 8.1 and .2 came off Fremont Peak, so you should also be able to get Fox on 35.1 and PBS on 25.1, .2, .3 which are also there. Might have a shot at CBS on 46.1 which is on Toro Peak south of Salinas (not to be confused with Morgan Hill's own El Toro).

You may have a reasonable shot at Sutro tower, which gets you most everything. I've got too much mountain in the way for Sutro.

I suspect that won't be able to get the Fremont/Milpitas transmitters as that whole ridge just east of 101 will be in the way. The most notable thing you'll miss there is 36.1.

Chuck
Chuck, thank you. Interestingly, I was able to get 36-1, 2 and 3, but they were somewhat sporadic. I got 48-1 and 2, and they were very solid. Is that not Sutro Tower? Oh, maybe not. The Fool report says 28 miles...

With what little time we had today for testing, my dad's C4 did not produce great results, actually, it was not as good as the Radio Shack one. That said there is much more I want to try...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page