College Park, MD: What is my best antenna strategy? Omni directional? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By bac522
  • 1 Post By Calaveras
  • 1 Post By Barrybud
  • 1 Post By ProjectSHO89
  • 1 Post By ADTech
  • 1 Post By Barrybud
  • 1 Post By tylerSC
  • 1 Post By oc-rdx

post #1 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
College Park, MD: What is my best antenna strategy? Omni directional?

I have rabbit ears + loop antenna close to the window, and I pretty much pick up all the channels in green here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c630fac8aca0

(also attached)

Which is good. But I'd like two things:

1) Move the antenna away from the window where the signal will be worse (i've tried this, and channels start dropping off)

2) Get a few more of the channels in the red/gray area.

The problem is the signals look like they're coming from almost every direction. So what would be the simplest strategy to achieve decent reception? (what kind of antenna is best for what I'm trying to do?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	20
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	111137  

Last edited by copperblade; 06-12-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Where's the new antenna location going to be? Indoors, attic, outdoors, roof? If indoors there was a recent thread regarding a GE Antenna that would probably provide what you looking for and because you have a good tvfool report with strongs signals, even though the GE antenna is technically directional, I could see it picking other signals. Worst case buy two GE antennas and combine the signals.
copperblade likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperblade View Post
But I'd like two things:

1) Move the antenna away from the window where the signal will be worse (i've tried this, and channels start dropping off)

2) Get a few more of the channels in the red/gray area.

The problem is the signals look like they're coming from almost every direction. So what would be the simplest strategy to achieve decent reception? (what kind of antenna is best for what I'm trying to do?)
You're not going to be able to receive stations in gray and probably not in red without a good outdoor antenna on a rotor for the multiple directions. Any station listed as "Tropo" will very likely not be received no matter what you put up.
copperblade likes this.
post #4 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
You're not going to be able to receive stations in gray and probably not in red without a good outdoor antenna on a rotor for the multiple directions. Any station listed as "Tropo" will very likely not be received no matter what you put up.
Nice stacked arrays in your avatar! Is that just for TV or is there some 2 way radio?

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #5 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I have rabbit ears + loop antenna close to the window, and I pretty much pick up all the channels in green here:
Hello, We really need more info. Are you in a house or apartment? Do you have an attic or crawlspace? If so you could put a small outdoor antenna like a bow-tie type there.
The good thing about the channels you will get is they are almost opposite from each other. Since several of the closer ones are in the south west I would point the antenna towards the north east group and since most antennas don't have the best rear rejection the SW stations would come in pretty strong.
The great thing about the digital stations are that they either come in or they don't. There is very little in the way of weak reception. The picture should be clear and static free or gone completely.
copperblade likes this.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #6 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
Nice stacked arrays in your avatar! Is that just for TV or is there some 2 way radio?
The tower is for ham radio. It was just a good place to put the TV antennas.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Please put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of all antenna threads. See my edit.

NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Where's the new antenna location going to be? Indoors, attic, outdoors, roof? If indoors there was a recent thread regarding a GE Antenna that would probably provide what you looking for and because you have a good tvfool report with strongs signals, even though the GE antenna is technically directional, I could see it picking other signals. Worst case buy two GE antennas and combine the signals.
I approached this thinking I needed to put something on the roof, but when I started looking at the graphs on http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/ for outdoor antennas, I realized they're directional and wasn't sure what to do about different channels coming from different directions.

But the truth is, if I can get away with just having one next to the TV, it would probably be a lot simpler to set up.

Quote:
Hello, We really need more info. Are you in a house or apartment? Do you have an attic or crawlspace? If so you could put a small outdoor antenna like a bow-tie type there.
The good thing about the channels you will get is they are almost opposite from each other. Since several of the closer ones are in the south west I would point the antenna towards the north east group and since most antennas don't have the best rear rejection the SW stations would come in pretty strong.
The great thing about the digital stations are that they either come in or they don't. There is very little in the way of weak reception. The picture should be clear and static free or gone completely.
House with an attic. Bowties are directional, right? If I simply move what I have now (goal #1 ), will I get good results with just adding a pre-amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Please put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of all antenna threads. See my edit.

NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post
Thanks.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I simply move what I have now (goal #1 ), will I get good results with just adding a pre-amp?
The main reason for a preamp is to overcome loss between the antenna and the TV. An indoor antenna with a short coax run going to one TV has little loss so a preamp won't get you much.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Based on what I'm hearing here, the first thing I should try is to get some kind of attic/directional antenna, and test pointing it either to the SW or NE.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You could get a DB2e, add the optional VHF kit, pop it up in the attic aimed at Baltimore, and you should get all the BAL and DC stations.
copperblade likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
"But the truth is, if I can get away with just having one next to the TV, it would probably be a lot simpler to set up."

The higher the better, while it might be a bit more extra work, the effort will be well worth it. You'll probably even end up picking up channels you didn't have before.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
You could get a DB2e, add the optional VHF kit, pop it up in the attic aimed at Baltimore, and you should get all the BAL and DC stations.
Where do you find the VHF kit?
post #14 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Where do you find the VHF kit?
The newly available VHF kit is available directly from our website.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...o-Fit-Kit.html
copperblade likes this.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #15 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:

House with an attic. Bowties are directional, right?

Thanks.
Most of these antennas don't have really good rear rejection figures, meaning that an antenna design has the ability knock down signals coming in from other direction besides the front. From the reception report many of these stations transmit from fairly short distances. Obviously if you are trying to get some of those station that are farther out you will need something turn-able on the roof. The ones listed as Tropo you will only get when there is a specific atmospheric condition call tropospheric ducting when signals from far away stations can be received. You might have experienced this on your car FM radio when you might hear Philly or New York stations competing with your local ones.
copperblade likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to compare the ClearStream2 with the GE and DB2E above. Is there a place I can get similar graphs as this:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/ClearStream2.html

I saw that there is a ClearStream2 package that includes mounting pole and VHF dipole.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Most of these antennas don't have really good rear rejection figures, meaning that an antenna design has the ability knock down signals coming in from other direction besides the front. From the reception report many of these stations transmit from fairly short distances. Obviously if you are trying to get some of those station that are farther out you will need something turn-able on the roof. The ones listed as Tropo you will only get when there is a specific atmospheric condition call tropospheric ducting when signals from far away stations can be received. You might have experienced this on your car FM radio when you might hear Philly or New York stations competing with your local ones.
Ok. I think I'll be happy if I can get up to that first light red entry which is listed as real channel 30, virtual channel 30.1

By the way, why does real channel 30 also have an entry listed as virtual 49.1 which is much weaker than the previous real channel 30. I thought real channels would be the actual frequency for that channel, and virtual channels should all be roughly within the same range.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
The Clearstream 2V sold at Walmart and Best Buy may also work.
copperblade likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Quote:
Ok. I think I'll be happy if I can get up to that first light red entry which is listed as real channel 30, virtual channel 30.1

By the way, why does real channel 30 also have an entry listed as virtual 49.1 which is much weaker than the previous real channel 30. I thought real channels would be the actual frequency for that channel, and virtual channels should all be roughly within the same range.

I don't think you'll be able to receive 30.1 WNVT, since WGCB-DT will probably interfere with it. Looks like MHz Networks is also on WNVC-DT 30.1(real channel 24). That one has a stronger signal & should be easier to receive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHz_Networks
copperblade likes this.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page