Wireless rotator for an attic antenna? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wireless rotator for an attic antenna?

Does anyone know if there is a cheap wireless rotator for an attic antenna? I've searched but cannot find one.

This would basically be a one-time use device in order to adjust the antenna without having to keep running up & down stairs & crawling in the attic. I could rotate for maximum signal strength & then forget about it. Battery powered or AC makes no difference.
Mike99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
bac522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Definition of cheap?

Maybe this one, seems reasonably priced

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14554636?w...599990&veh=sem
bac522 is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Mister B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wonder if Mike99 means no wire between the controller and the rotor itself, as opposed to no wire between the remote and the controller?
Mister B is online now  
Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a cheap wireless rotator for an attic antenna? I've searched but cannot find one.

I don't think what you want exists.

In my experience it is a very rare situation where signals don't peak in the direction of the transmitter when using a directional antenna. I've run into two intermittent situations where one station peaked in a slightly different direction. The problem was that all the other stations peaked in the correct direction and the one oddball would change over time. You should not need to be running back and forth looking for the peak. Relying on reflections for reception is a bad idea because they're likely to change with conditions and will be unreliable in the long run. It's best to install the antenna in a location where this is not an issue.
Calaveras is online now  
Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,497
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
One of these might be cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=979930011
olyteddy is online now  
Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
One of these might be cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=979930011
I have the DPT170D+ and can say the tuner is equal to the tuner in any other TV or DVR I've had based on sensitivity and multipath handling. I've found it excellent for running portable reception tests.
Calaveras is online now  
Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I wonder if Mike99 means no wire between the controller and the rotor itself, as opposed to no wire between the remote and the controller?
Correct. I guess I should have been more clear. I would like wireless all the way around in order to make installation easy. I have power in the attic so the rotor could be powered from the attic. Sending power & control signals up the coax might be feasible. Fishing a separate cable from the first floor through the second floor & then to the attic would be a nightmare to do.
Mike99 is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
I don't think what you want exists.

In my experience it is a very rare situation where signals don't peak in the direction of the transmitter when using a directional antenna. I've run into two intermittent situations where one station peaked in a slightly different direction. The problem was that all the other stations peaked in the correct direction and the one oddball would change over time. You should not need to be running back and forth looking for the peak. Relying on reflections for reception is a bad idea because they're likely to change with conditions and will be unreliable in the long run. It's best to install the antenna in a location where this is not an issue.
Most of my stations come from one location & 1 or 2 come from another location. There is only 2 degrees difference between the two transmitters according to TV Fool. When I adjusted the antenna previously I used a cell phone & communicated with my wife on the first floor who was watching the signal strength on the TV. Problem is as I moved around in the attic the SS changed. IOW my presence affected the SS. I figured an inexpensive rotator that could handle light weight duties of moving a newer lightweight attic antenna might be the way to go.
Mike99 is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
Problem is as I moved around in the attic the SS changed. IOW my presence affected the SS. I figured an inexpensive rotator that could handle light weight duties of moving a newer lightweight attic antenna might be the way to go.
You're changing the multipath as you're moving around and affecting the signal quality. This is not signal strength and it's unlikely that moving around is changing that very much. The best bet in almost all cases is to point the antenna at the transmitters. What seems optimum with you nearby for one station may not be good for the next station. Of course most of this issue would go away with an outdoor antenna.
Calaveras is online now  
Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
You're changing the multipath as you're moving around and affecting the signal quality. This is not signal strength and it's unlikely that moving around is changing that very much. The best bet in almost all cases is to point the antenna at the transmitters. What seems optimum with you nearby for one station may not be good for the next station. Of course most of this issue would go away with an outdoor antenna.
Previously I tried to optimize things for the weakest or problematic channel. I really tried to zero on it but being near the antenna sometimes affected SS. I had to keep getting out of the attic in order to make sure I aimed the antenna best possible.

I'd go with an outdoor antenna but am in a townhouse & all units came with attic antennas. I have satellite & so do others, so having a dish on the roof is not a problem. But it may be an uphill struggle to get approval for a roof antenna & may not be worth the trouble. I only have problems with 1 channel, the one that is 2 degrees difference than all the others. It may be a multipath issue or maybe a slight rotation will fix things. Adjusting the antenna is a real PITA because it's really tight up there. I thought about getting a new UHF/high band VHF antenna which would be smaller than than the old 83 channel one that's up there now. I thought if I have to mount something new perhaps including a cheap rotator might be worth trying.
Mike99 is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
bac522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Could just add a second antenna and combine the signals.
bac522 is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Could just add a second antenna and combine the signals.
From what I've read the antennas have to be a couple feet apart if mounted on the same mast. If that is correct there is no room in the attic for that.

What are the spacing requirements if they are positioned side-by-side?
Mike99 is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ProjectSHO89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Get one of the IR-remote controlled rotators above, then get a set of wireless IR remote extenders to relay the remote commands up to the attic.
ProjectSHO89 is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yes I have done that. I used the Lava HD-2605 antenna for about 60 bucks. It has every thing need to set up. It's small and fits about any place. How I did it was to use 3 feet 3/4 inch PVC, mounting the antenna upside down. The coax caries the signal and the power to the antenna, has a buster built in. It's an install and forget.
Phil17108 is offline  
Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
It's too hot right now to go into the attic & will wait till fall & try to re-adjust the antenna.
Mike99 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off