How to plug in a wii as av and ps2 as component? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to plug in a wii as av and ps2 as component?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post!

I just moved yesterday and deplugged every thing from my Samsung LED HDTV. What a mistake...

I'm pretty sure both my wii and ps2 were plugged in as av and component respectively so I didn't have to plug out and replug any consoles to the back of my TV. This, WITHOUT, any sort of 3rd party cable manager (or however it's called).

The thing is I can't seem to reproduce that. I have two set of RYW cables (wii/ps2) and my TV has one set of component cables (5 slots).

Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Bump! Nobody?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Some TVs, Samsungs in particular share composite input(yellow) with one of the component input jacks. It may either automatically switch depending on what cables you have plugged in or it may be a menu selection, either composite or component. If your TV only has the one set of component input jacks I can't explain how things were hooked up. Wii can be either composite(standard cable) or 480p component(optional cable), I don't have a PS/2 but does it have HDMI? If so that could go to one of your Samsungs HDMI inputs, if not does your Samsung maybe have a composite side input? With a auto switching TV(that automatically senses either composite or component) there is really no easy way to switch between composite and component without physically unplugging cables, with a menu option and a component switcher switching would be easy via the switcher and changing the TVs input option.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Its not possible as the composite is shared with the component. If you try to use a switch, all three components must still be plugged to the set from the switch output, which causes the Y (green) input to be used as chroma (black and white) rather than composite.

The best (and actually superior) solution is to get either an official Nintendo or Rocketfish Wii component cable and a good component switch with active amplification (such as a matrix switcher or audio authority model).

The Wii actually outputs a stellar component video signal, and it would be worth it just for that video upgrade.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I have this Wii cable and it works great: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
This one while almost triple the cost(Still only $7) looks like it works with xbox, PS2/3 as well: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
AFA a decent component switcher, I have this one and it works stellar: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Monoprice rocks! Not sure if they are still a forum supporter but I know they used to be.

Last edited by jjeff; 06-20-2014 at 05:15 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would really help if you posted the model of the TV...
post #7 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Some TVs, Samsungs in particular share composite input(yellow) with one of the component input jacks. It may either automatically switch depending on what cables you have plugged in or it may be a menu selection, either composite or component. If your TV only has the one set of component input jacks I can't explain how things were hooked up. Wii can be either composite(standard cable) or 480p component(optional cable), I don't have a PS/2 but does it have HDMI? If so that could go to one of your Samsungs HDMI inputs, if not does your Samsung maybe have a composite side input? With a auto switching TV(that automatically senses either composite or component) there is really no easy way to switch between composite and component without physically unplugging cables, with a menu option and a component switcher switching would be easy via the switcher and changing the TVs input option.
My tv has a menu selection and I'm pretty sure I was selecting "AV" for my WII and "Component" for my PS2. I only have the normal cables for both the wii and ps2 slim version (I don't have an HDMI with it; same cable as the wii). With all the search I made on the web, the more time pass though, the more I think I might be a little crazy imagining things haha! ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Its not possible as the composite is shared with the component. If you try to use a switch, all three components must still be plugged to the set from the switch output, which causes the Y (green) input to be used as chroma (black and white) rather than composite.

The best (and actually superior) solution is to get either an official Nintendo or Rocketfish Wii component cable and a good component switch with active amplification (such as a matrix switcher or audio authority model).

The Wii actually outputs a stellar component video signal, and it would be worth it just for that video upgrade.
Alright... guess I was unplugging it then... But it's really weird because I really have the memory of switching between av and component... Anyways, thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I have this Wii cable and it works great: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
This one while almost triple the cost(Still only $7) looks like it works with xbox, PS2/3 as well: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
AFA a decent component switcher, I have this one and it works stellar: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Monoprice rocks! Not sure if they are still a forum supporter but I know they used to be.
I might considerer buying the 7$ one, but without the switcher (I'll switch the cables manually if I can't find a solution). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard View Post
Would really help if you posted the model of the TV...
Sure! It's un50eh5000f: http://www.samsung.com/latin_en/cons...UN50EH5000FXZP
post #8 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmmm, not as much help as I thought. Specs show only one composite in shared with the component in.

Got me stumped. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page