What are the gotcha's for buying a DishTV receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the gotcha's for buying a DishTV receiver?

My condo complex is finally upgrading to HD, which means I'll have to buy (no leasing) a receiver. There are lots of 722's on ebay for less than 1/2 of what Dish wants for one. Will I have trouble getting a receiver from ebay activated? Is this like the cellphone biz where there's a blacklist of receivers that won't activate? How do I tell if the receiver is blacklisted?

The salesperson told me that I can't use a hopper/joey on this system - that there's an incompatibility with the dish? Then something about the "node", which I can also buy on ebay. Even crazier - she claimed a hopper and a joey would count as two drops against our system count, which seems odd since the Joey is not a receiver. Make sense to anyone?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I know when I needed to replace a DirecTV receiver a few years ago (when I used them) I bought a used one off of ebay, apparently the receiver was blacklisted...I never even thought of checking into that thinking my D* card would be okay with an receiver. After that I had to ask the seller for information about the receiver than clear it with DirecTV support as to whether the receiver was okay to buy or not...it was actually a pain trying to get a clean one on Ebay at a reasonable price, although eventually I did.

I don't know if Dish is any different but you might want to ask this question of Dish forum https://support.dish.com/
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I tried running a hopper without a node before and it worked but IIRC it only had 2 tuners and even trying to tap a joey off it wouldn't work so it would be like an expensive 612. The node with 2 cables going to the dish is necessary.

You live in a condo complex... describe the buildings. Are they like 3-4 units in a row? Do you own or rent, and if you own do you also own the exterior and roof above you? Why can't you lease a receiver? Was the salesperson familiar with your condo complex and did you talk to several salespeople?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesat View Post
You live in a condo complex... describe the buildings. Are they like 3-4 units in a row? Do you own or rent, and if you own do you also own the exterior and roof above you? Why can't you lease a receiver? Was the salesperson familiar with your condo complex and did you talk to several salespeople?
I'm free to get my own private Dish account, but the bulk account is a huge savings - $22/month for the same programming that costs me $78/month on the private account that I currently have. Subscribers on bulk accounts must provide their own receivers. As to the Hopper/Joey issue, the shared dishes don't support them and we've decided not to upgrade the dishes.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page