Help with my antenna! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with my antenna!

I've been using a Terk HDTVO for close to seven years with very good results. I used a map from antenna web to set it up years ago and I've always got every channel very well except for abc on channel 10.

Recently we decided to add a second tv which required splitting the signal. I split the signal in a covered patio area as that is where the two lines converged. In the process of moving the "power injector" I think it may have been damaged as I know get no reception in either tv. I removed the splitter went direct to and still nothing. I've redone the f-connectors to be sure I made them well (crimp on with proper tools).

Terk wants $40 for a replacement power injector which seems very steep to me, especially since I am not 100% sure that it is broken.

Is there a cheaper universal option than the supplies Terk unit??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Typical Cable TV RF Splitters do NOT Pass DC Voltages through the device....you need to either locate the Power Inserter BETWEEN the RF Splitter and the HDTVO or a SATELLITE 2-Way RF Splitter with "DC PASS" on at least one of the ports.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Basically, you need to split after the power injector.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Basically, you need to split after the power injector.
Right, I did figure that out and set it up that way after my first failed attempt. Now that I've fixed the signal chain it still isn't working. It seems the power injector is non-functional. I'm wondering if there is a product that does what it does without costing me $40...
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperfbc View Post
Right, I did figure that out and set it up that way after my first failed attempt. Now that I've fixed the signal chain it still isn't working. It seems the power injector is non-functional. I'm wondering if there is a product that does what it does without costing me $40...
Personally I'd be a bit suspicious that the power supply/injector suddenly went bad because you moved it, but it's possible.

From what I see in the antenna's manual, it's just a 9V DC power supply providing 100mA. I'm not having a lot of luck googling for a 9V DC coax inserter/injector with a minimum of 100mA (more is okay since devices only pull what they need). Found this one that would work http://www.homevisiontech.com/digiwa...mplifiers.html

If it was me, I just grab a 9V DC adapter at Walmart with 100mA or greater and splice it in (just remember DC is positive and negative on each wire)...chances are the injector is fine as they are generally just passive components.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You should use a VOM to measure Power Injector Voltage before you attach it to the coax and then again at the other end of the coax after you return it to the normal configuration. The Coax may have a short at one of the connectors, typically a stray shield wire touching the center copper wire.....SHOULD show up as a short using VOM....but doesn't always affect reception of TV signals.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
You should use a VOM to measure Power Injector Voltage before you attach it to the coax and then again at the other end of the coax after you return it to the normal configuration. The Coax may have a short at one of the connectors, typically a stray shield wire touching the center copper wire.....SHOULD show up as a short using VOM....but doesn't always affect reception of TV signals.
I did measure for VDC yesterday at the power inserter and got nothing. This is why I suspect the device is bad. Km going to try and open it up tomorrow and see if I can find a reason why. I should also be able to test voltage coming from the wall wart. My big question with this device is the on/off switch on the actual inserter. Why would it have that?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperfbc View Post
I did measure for VDC yesterday at the power inserter and got nothing. This is why I suspect the device is bad. Km going to try and open it up tomorrow and see if I can find a reason why. I should also be able to test voltage coming from the wall wart. My big question with this device is the on/off switch on the actual inserter. Why would it have that?
From what I quickly read in the manual, the Terk will pass signals when there is no power to the amplifier...thus you would turn off the amp if you're very close to the tower since over amplifying the incoming signal can cause just as many problems as not having enough signal strength.

Last edited by bac522; 07-01-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Reply HDTV Technical