• 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Charles O

post #1 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Canceled DirecTV. Can I simply swap out with an Antenna?

3 HDTV's. (2005 Sharp, 2012 Samsung and 2014 Samsung).

House was all wired by DirecTV.

Can I simply get an HDTV antenna, get on the roof, swap out dish for antenna and watch away?

Other than the antenna what else needs to be done? Can I do this myself?

Thanks!

TVFOOL: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a4cfdf6dfe

Last edited by Novice2005; 06-30-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
See:
NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post
You can probably use a wire from the DirectTV install but we will need a description of the wiring you have.
John
post #3 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
As long as all three TV's have ATSC tuners and depending your location and distance from the x-mitters and a ladder, it should be a piece of cake.

Check tvfool.com and provide info here for more insightful recommendations/suggestions.
phildaant likes this.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Los Angeles, CA

By posting the TVFool info, won't I give my direct location away to all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post
See:
NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post
You can probably use a wire from the DirectTV install but we will need a description of the wiring you have.
John
post #5 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

All 3 are HDTV's, does that mean they have ATSC tuners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
As long as all three TV's have ATSC tuners and depending your location and distance from the x-mitters and a ladder, it should be a piece of cake.

Check tvfool.com and provide info here for more insightful recommendations/suggestions.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
You can hide your actual street address and just post the zip code part.
phildaant likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a4cfdf6dfe

Based only on zip code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
You can hide your actual street address and just post the zip code part.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
$&@!...from that location you could use a paperclip for each tv and receive nearly all of the stations.
phildaant likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post
$&@!...from that location you could use a paperclip for each tv and receive nearly all of the stations.
OTOH, how convenient that he can easily remove the dish and replace with an antenna.

Everyone should be so lucky.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice2005 View Post
All 3 are HDTV's, does that mean they have ATSC tuners?
No. The one from 2005 might not have one. The two newer ones probably do. If you tell us the model number of the 2005 one, we can probably tell you. Worst case, you can buy a digital converter box for around $35 and you'll be good to go.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Did a search (Sharp Aquos LC-37D7U) and it does have a built in ATSC tuner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phane View Post
No. The one from 2005 might not have one. The two newer ones probably do. If you tell us the model number of the 2005 one, we can probably tell you. Worst case, you can buy a digital converter box for around $35 and you'll be good to go.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

So all I have to do is swap the dish out to an antenna and all good to go?

Any suggestions on an antenna? Anything I need to know or a step by step guide to do it?

thanks!
post #13 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
A zip-code level TVFool plot is usually useful only if you're out the the middle of the Plains or there isn't a hill or mountain anywhere nearby.

Quote:
So all I have to do is swap the dish out to an antenna and all good to go?
No, it isn't that simple.

The dish needs to be mounted in a spot where if an antenna is swapped in, the antenna can "see" the broadcast towers. In your case. the dish is aimed at the sky to your south east. An antenna needs to be aimed at the peak of Mt Wilson to your north. If the current mount location is such that an antenna would aim point blank into your own roof, your neighbor's roof, or the largest tree on the street, then the mounting location is a poor choose.

ALL MULTI-SWITCHES MUST BE REMOVED! You must replace them with appropriate splitters. Multi-switches don't pass TV signals properly in an OTA-only system.

Your actual signal powers are far, far less than suggested by the TVFool plot. The transmitting antennas are about a mile higher than your elevation and the TVFool plotting software does not factor in the vertical pattern of the transmitting antennas. Those signals are only that "hot" in the main lobe of the transmitter antennas.

A small, 7-51 or 7-69 combo antenna should work fine. Candidates include the CM2016, HBU-11, ANT-751, C2V, or similar. Mount the antenna so it can "see" Mt Wilson and aim it at the peak.

Good luck.

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; 06-30-2014 at 06:34 PM.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Nice flat roof. No obstructions, so I can handle that.

Now about these multi-switchers, where do I find them and what exactly do I replace them with? What kind of splitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
A zip-code level TVFool plot is usually useful only if you're out the the middle of the Plains or there isn't a hill or mountain anywhere nearby.

No, it isn't that simple.

The dish needs to be mounted in a spot where if an antenna is swapped in, the antenna can "see" the broadcast towers. In your case. the dish is aimed at the sky to your south east. An antenna needs to be aimed at the peak of Mt Wilson to your north. If the current mount location is such that an antenna would aim point blank into your own roof, your neighbor's roof, or the largest tree on the street, then the mounting location is a poor choose.

ALL MULTI-SWITCHES MUST BE REMOVED! You must replace them with appropriate splitters. Multi-switches don't pass TV signals properly in an OTA-only system.

Your actual signal powers are far, far less than suggested by the TVFool plot. The transmitting antennas are about a mile higher than your elevation and the TVFool plotting software does not factor in the vertical pattern of the transmitting antennas. Those signals are only that "hot" in the main lobe of the transmitter antennas.

A small, 7-51 or 7-69 combo antenna should work fine. Candidates include the CM2016, HBU-11, ANT-751, C2V, or similar. Mount the antenna so it can "see" Mt Wilson and aim it at the peak.

Good luck.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

How many cables run up to the dish location and how many receivers were connected to DirecTV?

If one, follow it to where there is a device that looks like a splitter. If your DirecTV installation was relatively recent, it will be a green-labeled SWM. Replace it with a standard "cable" splitter from your local retail store such as Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

If there was a coax for each receiver run all the way to the dish, the the multiswitch is in the dish and the splitter will go up there unless you re-do the cabling.

If there are two cables going to the dish and there is a device that has those two cables coming in and two or more cables coming out, that is the multi-switch and it must be repalced with the splitter.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
How many cables run up to the dish location and how many receivers were connected to DirecTV?

If one, follow it to where there is a device that looks like a splitter. If your DirecTV installation was relatively recent, it will be a green-labeled SWM. Replace it with a standard "cable" splitter from your local retail store such as Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

If there was a coax for each receiver run all the way to the dish, the the multiswitch is in the dish and the splitter will go up there unless you re-do the cabling.

If there are two cables going to the dish and there is a device that has those two cables coming in and two or more cables coming out, that is the multi-switch and it must be repalced with the splitter.
If he has a green labeled SWM splitter then there is no reason to replace it at all (or even if it is a regular SWM splitter). They are actually better splitters than what he would buy at those stores.

If he has a SWM install he needs to make sure to disconnect the power inserter (from both the power outlet and the coax cables).

I guess one of the easiest ways to tell if he had a SWM install is to ask if he had whole home DVR, because if he did then he has a SWM install and he should have the power inserter and a green labelled splitter somewhere.

If he didn't have Whole Home DVR, then he needs to look at the number of coax cables going to the dish like you said.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't have the whole home DVR, each one was a separate DVR box.

Will see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post
If he has a green labeled SWM splitter then there is no reason to replace it at all (or even if it is a regular SWM splitter). They are actually better splitters than what he would buy at those stores.

If he has a SWM install he needs to make sure to disconnect the power inserter (from both the power outlet and the coax cables).

I guess one of the easiest ways to tell if he had a SWM install is to ask if he had whole home DVR, because if he did then he has a SWM install and he should have the power inserter and a green labelled splitter somewhere.

If he didn't have Whole Home DVR, then he needs to look at the number of coax cables going to the dish like you said.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Didn't have the whole home DVR, each one was a separate DVR box.

Will see what I can find.
I don't mean the Genie whole home DVR with 5 tuners and the mini clients. I was talking about the Whole Home DVR service that allows you to watch your recordings off one DVR on other receivers/DVRs throughout the house.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Directly related to OP's question, I just mounted a CM2016 in place of my Directv dish. It had a single coax running to the dish and I had the whole home DVR thing where each of the 3 rooms could watch the same recordings. However I don't think there was anywhere in the coax line where anything was powered or I figure I would have seen it plugged in somewhere.

I was able to pick up real channel 8, VHF HI ABC perfectly clear on both current TVs, but no UHF would come in except a fuzzy lame channel 47. My antenna is directly behind and pointing through a huge oak (like within 15 feet of it), so I figure that's my UHF issue and I plan to trial and error different mounting points tomorrow.

Does any of this make anyone think I need to mess with any directv installed splitters, or is the fact that I'm GTG on a VHF HI channel mean that the existing directv installed cable runs are OK as is? I appreciate any insight.

Last edited by hubcityraider; 07-04-2014 at 10:45 PM.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-05-2014, 10:46 AM

Just an update to the above post, I moved the antenna up to the chimney higher and much further back from the oak tree. 32 channels came in, and I'm only missing NBC of the relevant ones, so the directv wiring worked "as is" in my case. The splitter appears to be an 8 way with a green sticker and "SWM" on the label. I still don't see any sort of power inserter in the line.

I'm 30 miles from the main stations and tvfool shows LOS for most of the stations at the new height of 27'.

Last edited by hubcityraider; 07-05-2014 at 11:45 AM.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The power inserter would have been connected to the SWiM splitter's output port with the red center. In might have been remotely mounted behind a TV or D* box at the other end of that coax run. They usually look something like this one:

post #22 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityraider View Post
Just an update to the above post, I moved the antenna up to the chimney higher and much further back from the oak tree. 32 channels came in, and I'm only missing NBC of the relevant ones, so the directv wiring worked "as is" in my case. The splitter appears to be an 8 way with a green sticker and "SWM" on the label. I still don't see any sort of power inserter in the line.

I'm 30 miles from the main stations and tvfool shows LOS for most of the stations at the new height of 27'.
Just wanted to double update this post. I was having reception isues and getting NBC and the CW became an either or proposition based on minor differences in my antenna location. So I just added a Winegard LNA-200 Boost pre-amp to the line in front of the directv 8 way splitter. Now I get 59 channels and everything that I would want is perfect on all TV's with no intermittent reception issues at all. The main issue for me was that my directv installation had really long cable runs. The pre-amp resolved this issue entirely.

So I can say in my case, with the right antenna, mounted in a decent spot with a preamp, that the directv installation (2012 install, whole home DVR) worked as a whole home antenna solution with no changes.

Last edited by hubcityraider; 07-21-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
antenna , cancel , Directv , swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page