Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 312
4k channels nearing with new dvb uhd specification

Quote:
4K CHANNELS NEARING WITH NEW DVB UHD SPECIFICATION

So far only a few internet streaming services have taken the jump to 4K, but soon it will be possible to receive TV channels in 4K, too. DVB has approved DVB-UHDTV that enables 4K broadcasts in up to 60fps.

4K IN UP TO 60FPS AND HEVC

DVB wants to use HEVC compression to make UHD broadcasts possible.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.ph...914&newsletter[/quote]

"BUT YOU NEED NEW HARDWARE"
Maybe something like a 4K UHD TV

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-07-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Just note that this is not applicable in North America, that is USA, Canada, and Mexico. These countries all use ATSC, not DVB as the broadcast standard. And at least in the USA, the FCC isn't going to allocate more bandwidth for 4K DVB channels. Not a chance considering what the internet comapnies will be willing to pay for that same bandwidth for use on mobile apps.

I'm afraid 4K will be limited to internet streaming for some time to come. We may see a 4K channel on Direct, Dish, or even cable but not until a lot more content is available.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Why isn't there anything published on the DVB website recently about the standard? The latest thing looks like this https://www.dvb.org/news/uhdtv--new-...stions-for-dvb
which was from December 2013. Where is their published "baseband standard" that they mention in there - if that has now been finalised/approved?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Just note that this is not applicable in North America, that is USA, Canada, and Mexico. These countries all use ATSC, not DVB as the broadcast standard. And at least in the USA, the FCC isn't going to allocate more bandwidth for 4K DVB channels. Not a chance considering what the internet comapnies will be willing to pay for that same bandwidth for use on mobile apps.

I'm afraid 4K will be limited to internet streaming for some time to come. We may see a 4K channel on Direct, Dish, or even cable but not until a lot more content is available.
re tubetwisrer
"Just note that this is not applicable in North America,"

That's to be expected (Good to note though ! ) as usual we are also behind the curve in broadband as well actually ATSC was behind the curve (in some respects ) when it came out ofc it was designed for interlaced CRT almost 3 decades ago!
I had my first HDTV ~15 yrs ago (Sony Wega ofc ) not much HD to watch then though .

The DOW (DJA) busted 17,000 again today looks like the bulls figured out how to get wall st.to print money again !
life is good running with the bulls (for now) ☺

Are you underweight or overweight with APPL but then there are the multiples and earning things ............and the growth potential as well as long term recurring business potential to consider . ? hard one to guess .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-07-2014 at 02:10 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Luckily the DVB have also started standardising a DVB MPEG-DASH profile for IPTV (i.e. linear channels delivered over IP) which allows for broadcast DVB to use adaptive bit streaming. Standardisation of this will allow TVs and set-top boxes to work across multiple broadcasters rather than the current bespoke and/or locked-in situation. This could be key for IP 4K broadcasting.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
The spectrum auction definitely made it difficult for stations to move to new transmission standards like they did with HDTV. Most areas still have some UHF frequencies open but not everywhere.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
Why isn't there anything published on the DVB website recently about the standard?
Here's the updated specification.

https://www.dvb.org/resources/public...-avc-mpeg2.pdf

Ron
Joe Bloggs likes this.

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
Here's the updated specification.

https://www.dvb.org/resources/public...-avc-mpeg2.pdf

Ron
W6RZ thanks for putting up your web page lots of good stuff there I used AVS HD.709 on all my sets here (6)good stuff made a big difference I frequently recommend it to others also your page is definitely book marked here !

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page