CMA-011 error on cable box, cableco blames splitters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CMA-011 error on cable box, cableco blames splitters

One of my TV's in the master bedroom has beenexperiencing problems lately. I get an error, 'Sorry, an IP address errorprevents your Set-Top from successfully loading'. I called the cable companyand was told I may have a bad cable and/or splitter.

This configuration has been in place for many years...

I have a three way splitter outside my home withthe main cable in from my provider going to three points within the house, to atwo way splitter (inside) and two cable TV boxes (one is the master bedroom). The twoway splitter services a modem and another cable box (no problem here).

I would like to run a new cable to the master bedroom. Can I replace the inside two way splitter with another three way splitter?

Last edited by DrDon; 07-11-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you want to you can temporarily switch the non working box to the location of a working box and see if either or both boxes come to life.
If the non working box works in the new area and the working box does not, you have isolated it to a location issue.
If the non working box still doesn't work in the new location and the working box still works in the new location, that looks like a box issue.

Try this test and let us know what happens.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
1: You posted with colored type. Note that half of AVS members use the "dark skin" option, which is a black background. Because of your color choice, your text is unreadable to half of the membership.

2: I'd think the error message has more to do with your television's connection to your home network, not the cable. Would need to know the make and model of television, how it's connected to the internet, etc. Without details, we can't help you much.

You might EDIT your post and change your text back to normal.
My TV is a Panasonic TC-32LX700. My TV is not network capable.
post #4 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post
If you want to you can temporarily switch the non working box to the location of a working box and see if either or both boxes come to life.
If the non working box works in the new area and the working box does not, you have isolated it to a location issue.
If the non working box still doesn't work in the new location and the working box still works in the new location, that looks like a box issue.

Try this test and let us know what happens.
I did switch the box out with a different one from my cable provider and it did not help. Thanks
post #5 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Attach is the error message...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IP Error.png
Views:	23
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	156929  
post #6 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

It's a Samsung box, Optimum is the provider, NY. I will get the model and software version in the morning. A truckroll will cost me.

Last edited by DrDon; 07-14-2014 at 09:20 AM.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
If they're telling you it's a problem with your cabling, then you can test that by hauling the box and the television out to where the cable enters your home, disconnecting it from the outdoor 3-way splitter, connecting it directly to the box and seeing if it works then. If it does, it's time to start replacing cables and splitters or looking for other points where there could be issues. If you get the same error outside, then it's the box or an issue upstream from your house. I'm going to go ahead and assume you disconnected, inspected and reconnected every cable at every splitter. Especially that outdoor one where moisture can corrode things even a tiny bit.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I am getting from your original post that the box was working okay for awhile, when it was working did you experience any pixilation of any channels.
I would still move the non working box to another area of your home that is working okay to see if it boots up, this will (hopefully) isolate the problem to a location issue as opposed to a STB issue.
Do this first and let us know what happens.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am getting from your original post that the box was working okay for awhile, when it was working did you experience any pixilation of any channels.
I would still move the non working box to another area of your home that is working okay to see if it boots up, this will (hopefully) isolate the problem to a location issue as opposed to a STB issue.
Do this first and let us know what happens.
I don't recall any pixelation occuring. Yes the original box was working for a while. I switched out the box for another and the same problem is occurring. The problem is intermittent. The box may work for a while after a reboot but eventually fail. I would first get a black screen and the error above would appear. If I reboot the box it takes 5-10mins to load.
post #10 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
I don't recall any pixelation occuring. Yes the original box was working for a while. I switched out the box for another and the same problem is occurring. The problem is intermittent. The box may work for a while after a reboot but eventually fail. I would first get a black screen and the error above would appear. If I reboot the box it takes 5-10mins to load.

This is good to know but I would still take that bad box move it to the working area and see if the same thing happens, so please do this and let us know what happens.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is good to know but I would still take that bad box move it to the working area and see if the same thing happens, so please do this and let us know what happens.
You really think this will make a difference considering the original box had the same problem?
post #12 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
If it's a signal issue between the cable company's incoming line and the bedroom, trying it in another location will help determine that. Though I still highly recommend hauling the stuff outside and trying it using the incoming line. If it still fails there, then it's not your wiring.

You DID remove, inspect, and reconnect every line from every splitter and device, right?

And what cable company CHARGES for a truckroll? I've had about nine truckrolls in two years and I generally get a rebate for the lost service time, not a charge.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 07-12-2014 at 07:09 AM.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
If it's a signal issue between the cable company's incoming line and the bedroom, trying it in another location will help determine that. Though I still highly recommend hauling the stuff outside and trying it using the incoming line. If it still fails there, then it's not your wiring.

You DID remove, inspect, and reconnect every line from every splitter and device, right?

And what cable company CHARGES for a truckroll? I've had about nine truckrolls in two years and I generally get a rebate for the lost service time, not a charge.
I don't see the point of hauling stuff outside since the problem is intermittent with this one bedroom TV and other TV's in the house work fine.

I did some troubleshooting indoors. There is a cable that comes from outside that connects to a splitter that was definitely problematic. A couple of weeks ago I went to move it and the TV froze. I have since replaced the ring and splicer. The TV worked great for about a week which is why I started this thread thinking I would replace the entire run with one cable, no splitters or splicers. The existing cable runs outside under the siding and around to the back of the house. I was thinking of running the cable indoors which is why I asked about my options with splitters.

I just swapped the box with another in the house and all worked well on a boot but I've been here before so let's see what happens after a couple of days.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have another person to work with you I would have that person in the room watching the TV, you can go back to the splitter and wiggle the cables (one at a time) they can watch for any freezing or pixilation.

If nothing happens I would do the same thing at the connection into the STB.

These are just basic troubleshooting things to try to isolate your problem.

Also have you looked at your modem diagnostics?
post #15 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Who installed the splitters and coax cables?
post #16 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you have another person to work with you I would have that person in the room watching the TV, you can go back to the splitter and wiggle the cables (one at a time) they can watch for any freezing or pixilation.

If nothing happens I would do the same thing at the connection into the STB.

These are just basic troubleshooting things to try to isolate your problem.

Also have you looked at your modem diagnostics?
Yes I was thinking of going back to the ring I replaced too. How do I do modem diagnostics?
post #17 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Who installed the splitters and coax cables?
I did a few years ago.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Type 192.168.100.1 into your browser (this is a very common IP for many modems) if you get the modem diag screen look for the Downstream power and SNR, also note the Upstream power level.
Let us know what you see.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
I did a few years ago.
That's why you have to pay for a truck roll.

I'd suggest you take the cable modem to the problematic location to get proper "readings" and provide the info.

Splitters nor coax cables don't typically "go bad" overnight.
Poor/improper connections and/or moisture is the usual suspect.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Type 192.168.100.1 into your browser (this is a very common IP for many modems) if you get the modem diag screen look for the Downstream power and SNR, also note the Upstream power level.
Let us know what you see.
Here you go....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2014-07-12 15.11.01.png
Views:	21
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	157737  
post #21 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking at the D/S numbers you are on the low side of the acceptable range there is a good chance that the STB is also on the low side.

If possible I would temporarily remove the splitter and replace it with a barrel (to the TV in your room with the bad box)

If you have a laptop.
As suggested above (if it is possible without to much hassle) I would move the cable modem to the input of the splitter turn it on and connect your laptop to it and check the modem levels again.
(if the levels here are around 0dbmv your issues are because of low D/S levels.

Next I would move the modem to the output of the splitter with a short cable again check the modem diags.
As a last test I would move the modem to the location of the bad box and do the same test.
(you will probably see those numbers around -10dbmv again.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a tech come out they should check the levels at the input of the splitter.

With your set up the 3 way if balanced will lose 6.5db if not 2 of the ports will lose 3.5db and the 3rd 7db.
There will be a little loss through the cable (how long are they) and the next splitter will lose another 3.5db.

All of this being said when the tech comes to measure they should see at least 10dbmv or higher.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking at the D/S numbers you are on the low side of the acceptable range there is a good chance that the STB is also on the low side.

If possible I would temporarily remove the splitter and replace it with a barrel (to the TV in your room with the bad box)

If you have a laptop.
As suggested above (if it is possible without to much hassle) I would move the cable modem to the input of the splitter turn it on and connect your laptop to it and check the modem levels again.
(if the levels here are around 0dbmv your issues are because of low D/S levels.

Next I would move the modem to the output of the splitter with a short cable again check the modem diags.
As a last test I would move the modem to the location of the bad box and do the same test.
(you will probably see those numbers around -10dbmv again.
Thanks. I may try this tomorrow. So those negative downstream power numbers should be positive? I thought they should generally between -12db and +12db?
post #24 of 30 Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I may try this tomorrow. So those negative downstream power numbers should be positive? I thought they should generally between -12db and +12db?

Theoretically those numbers +10/-10dbmv all devices should work.
The sweet spot being 0dbmv.
Reality those numbers don't hold true in many cases.

Bottom line if the power from the demark (from cable feed) is not high enough the cable tech should be able to bump it up a little from the tap.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't get an opportunity to do anything today and probably will not until next weekend.

However, I wanted to report back that after swapping the cable box with another in the house I have yet to experience any problems. Now, I have been down this road before, not having problems and it lasted an entire week before the IP error posted above returned and my cable box required a reboot.

Question, these boxes are allocated IP addresses via DHCP based on their MAC address. I noticed a few entries in the event log below. I believe this may be significant because on this day my wife sent me a text to tell me the cable box had failed. I just thought I'd share this in case it makes sense to someone. In the mean time I'm monitoring my current state.

7/9/2014 5:19 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:1d:cd:ea:3b:26;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:49:bc:42;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 7/9/2014 13:42 68010600 6 DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-^1/DBAA54E0 modified;CM-MAC=00:1d:cd:ea:3b:26;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:49:bc:42;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Last edited by jerome8283; 07-13-2014 at 05:53 PM.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I attached the log below which is better formatted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2014-07-13 20.44.48.png
Views:	18
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	159737  
post #27 of 30 Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes you are allocated an IP for a specific MAC.
The range response error is a lack of communication between the box and the CMTS, it doesn't get a response from your box and times out.
This is usually caused by a bad upstream (return) signal issue.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Jerome8283, you posted your problem, got some very good troubleshooting advice by people that want to help and took the time to type but yet you're too lazy to follow thru. Want your problem fixed, take their advice or call the cable company to fix it. Sounds to me like you didn't make a proper fitting. Yes they are called fittings, not ring. Fittings need to be made with proper crimpers (which can be bought on eBay for $20) with proper compression fittings (which can be bought on eBay for $1 each).

Last edited by nyctveng; 07-15-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes you are allocated an IP for a specific MAC.
The range response error is a lack of communication between the box and the CMTS, it doesn't get a response from your box and times out.
This is usually caused by a bad upstream (return) signal issue.
Thanks for your help.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to let you know since switching the box on Sunday I have not experienced any problems.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page