re-purpose cabling for Freeview UK - AVS Forum
HDTV Technical > re-purpose cabling for Freeview UK
stereoscreamer's Avatar stereoscreamer 06:15 AM 07-14-2014
Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum so I apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum. I'm also in the UK so again i'm not even sure i should be posting this on a mainly US based forum, but i hope you can help regardless.
I’ve been living in my home for nearly two years, the previous owner already had a sky sat dish installed and I’ve had sky installed since I moved in and am now looking to install Freeview. I’m wondering if I can re-purpose the cabling that’s installed from the previous owner to receive Freeview in all the rooms in my home.
I live in a semi-detached house and there are two TV aerials on the chimney. I have no idea if one of those aerials is mine or not but one is on our side of the chimney. I don’t have a ladder tall enough to get on the roof, so I’ll try and confirm with my neighbour when I get the chance. There are cables running from the TV aerial down the roof and disappear out of sight, again not sure where. There are also cables leading from my dining room, living room and two bedrooms that go up into the loft. In the loft is a Wolsey 4 Way Bi-Directional TV Amplifier. As you can see from the picture here, there are only 4 cables attached. There should be 5. The 4 rooms and the aerial. I’m wondering if the previous owner used the amplifier to output his sky box to the other three rooms, instead of using it to distribute Freeview? How can I test this out?
When I’ve plugged the cable in my living room into the sky box and then plugged the cable in one of my bedrooms into a TV, I search for a signal and don’t get anything.
First and foremost how can I test the 4 way amp is working? I’ve got a fairly old compact DVD player with a TV out in it. I’m assuming, unscrew the amp from the wall and plug in the DVD player in the UHF port and a TV in one of the outputs and see if I get a signal?
Then how can I test the cabling? Again, I assume I can plug the DVD player to one end of the cables in the loft and a TV in the other and see if I get a signal? Or is there another way to do this that doesn't require me to move a TV from room to room to test?

nyctveng's Avatar nyctveng 08:40 AM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoscreamer View Post
Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum so I apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum. I'm also in the UK so again i'm not even sure i should be posting this on a mainly US based forum, but i hope you can help regardless.
I’ve been living in my home for nearly two years, the previous owner already had a sky sat dish installed and I’ve had sky installed since I moved in and am now looking to install Freeview. I’m wondering if I can re-purpose the cabling that’s installed from the previous owner to receive Freeview in all the rooms in my home.
I live in a semi-detached house and there are two TV aerials on the chimney. I have no idea if one of those aerials is mine or not but one is on our side of the chimney. I don’t have a ladder tall enough to get on the roof, so I’ll try and confirm with my neighbour when I get the chance. There are cables running from the TV aerial down the roof and disappear out of sight, again not sure where. There are also cables leading from my dining room, living room and two bedrooms that go up into the loft. In the loft is a Wolsey 4 Way Bi-Directional TV Amplifier. As you can see from the picture here, there are only 4 cables attached. There should be 5. The 4 rooms and the aerial. I’m wondering if the previous owner used the amplifier to output his sky box to the other three rooms, instead of using it to distribute Freeview? How can I test this out?
When I’ve plugged the cable in my living room into the sky box and then plugged the cable in one of my bedrooms into a TV, I search for a signal and don’t get anything.
First and foremost how can I test the 4 way amp is working? I’ve got a fairly old compact DVD player with a TV out in it. I’m assuming, unscrew the amp from the wall and plug in the DVD player in the UHF port and a TV in one of the outputs and see if I get a signal?
Then how can I test the cabling? Again, I assume I can plug the DVD player to one end of the cables in the loft and a TV in the other and see if I get a signal? Or is there another way to do this that doesn't require me to move a TV from room to room to test?
If there are 2 jacks close to each other (perhaps back to back) , there may be a splitter somewhere past the output of the amplifier. Although not ideal, this is done to minimize cable runs.

You should be able to repurpose all the cabling by replacing the dish with a terrestrial antenna for Freeview.
sneals2000's Avatar sneals2000 03:14 PM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoscreamer View Post
Hello all,
Remember to do an analogue, not digital scan, for a Sky box or your DVD player - any modulator in a domestic bit of kit will output an analogue (and mono) signal.

It is possible to distribute Freeview and Sky over the same cable, but I don't think you need to do this in your set-up. Your idea of taking a DVD player with a UHF output is a good one - they're quite rare these days! I'd check it works by directly connecting to a TV first using the aerial input on the TV.
Up
Mobile  Desktop