Coax entry point is about 100' from house ground - Options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Coax entry point is about 100' from house ground - Options?

My gf's Coax entry point (leftover from CATV days) is about 100' from her electrical meter and grounding point. The OTA Antenna feed runs from the gable at the corner down to just before the siding, and then along there until it gets to the MPOE (40'). The ground is about 60' in the other direction.

Should I mount any grounding/arrestor equipment near the MPOE and run an 8ga solid the 100' back the the ground point, or could I mount them directly below the antenna where the cable changes from vertical to horizontal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dervari View Post
My gf's Coax entry point (leftover from CATV days) is about 100' from her electrical meter and grounding point. The OTA Antenna feed runs from the gable at the corner down to just before the siding, and then along there until it gets to the MPOE (40'). The ground is about 60' in the other direction.

Should I mount any grounding/arrestor equipment near the MPOE and run an 8ga solid the 100' back the the ground point, or could I mount them directly below the antenna where the cable changes from vertical to horizontal?
There aren't any ground police out there. They all quit to check for mattress tags. It pays better. You can ground any way you want to.

Basically, the greater the distance from the point at which the coax enters the house to the coax outer shield ground connection, the greater the chance that during a tornado, something cuts the cable between the ground connection and the entry point AND a loose high voltage wire makes contact with your broken entrance wire AND you are watching TV from the bathtub. Basically, it changes the odds of you getting electrocuted from Powerball odds to Megamillions odds. Or is it vice versa?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. I didn't know if there was some technical reason to put the grounding block near the MPOE. Think I'll go the easy route and put everything below the antenna.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Thanks. I didn't know if there was some technical reason to put the grounding block near the MPOE. Think I'll go the easy route and put everything below the antenna.
FWIW, my antenna coax comes into the garage to an amplifier. Right next to where the cable tv line comes in (which is disconnected to the house). I used the ground wire from the cable tv to ground the antenna connection at the amplifier. We don't live in an area with a lot lightening strikes but something is better than nothing. The ground wire goes underground so I don't know what or how the cable company grounded it when the house was built.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
it's possible that there is a ground source nearer than the electrical service. snap some pictures of the area where the cable runs
post #6 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

The coax run from your new grounding equipment needs to be longer than the 100' of 8ga solid otherwise it won't ground properly. Lightning will take the shortest path which is why you will always see telecom grounding equipment inches away from a ground. As a former field tech, I've never run more than 6 inches of ground wire at a time. My advice is if it's feasible, run the antenna lead directly to where the CATV wire was, disconnect the CATV from the ground block and replace it with the antenna lead. I know it may not be easy or feasible especially if your CATV is fed from front/street side of the house and if antenna is in the back of the house.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page