• 2 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Coax cables locked in Cable Box!

Hi all,

In my house there are Coax outputs in about 4 of the rooms, designed for Cable TV, including an upstairs output near the attic. I want to connect an HDTV Antenna installed in my attic to this upstairs "output", and then run this feed to all other other outputs in the house for HDTV in all the rooms.

Problem is, all the lines terminate in a locked cable box attached to my home. I want to avoid trying to dig into the wall behind to reach them, and simply open this box, attaching my HDTV feed to the splitter in there, or directly to the room the main tv is in at least for now.

I don't want to steal cable! I just want access to the cabling that is installed in my own home! I don't want coax cables running through my home when there are already ones installed in the walls.

This is the lock on the box - does anyone know what tool is required to unlock it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=...ck+tool&_frs=1
post #3 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post
Thanks for your reply, however I already looked at these sorts of tools before - they appear to be designed for cable termination locks, which are round with a small centre pin, not a jagged large pin like on the lock I have posted. Correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps the right tool is in that list somewhere, but I don't know which as there are many different types and the pictures always show just the tool, not the lock it's designed for.
post #4 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just call and put in a ticket to take the lock off. The box is owned by the home owner. Unless there is an issue with vandalism in the area. Most times they never place a lock on the boxes. If this is a Duplex or condo attached to another. They will not remove the lock. So you would have to pull new coax for the antenna.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

I live in a row townhouse, and according to the title, something like 2% is owned by the cable company which is that box. I personally think it's stupid and I refuse to run ugly wires through the house if it's not needed.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy View Post
I live in a row townhouse, and according to the title, something like 2% is owned by the cable company which is that box. I personally think it's stupid and I refuse to run ugly wires through the house if it's not needed.
You will have to pull the coax for the antenna then, since it is a Row house or MDU. Comcast is not going to allow you to attach an antenna to the coax inside their box.

If you can get into the attic area, you can pull the wire down in there for the antenna, through inside wall stud cavities. It gets fun when you need to pull the wires in first floor areas, if the building is on a slab. That would mean cutting in small sections of drywall, so you can drill into each stud, to pull the Coax over where you want it. Then just patch the holes you made back up. They would need to be no larger then the size of a Single gang box at most.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan900 View Post
You will have to pull the coax for the antenna then, since it is a Row house or MDU. Comcast is not going to allow you to attach an antenna to the coax inside their box.

If you can get into the attic area, you can pull the wire down in there for the antenna, through inside wall stud cavities. It gets fun when you need to pull the wires in first floor areas, if the building is on a slab. That would mean cutting in small sections of drywall, so you can drill into each stud, to pull the Coax over where you want it. Then just patch the holes you made back up. They would need to be no larger then the size of a Single gang box at most.
I'd sooner punch through the other side of the wall to get at the cables than do that - there are two cables on the ground floor that I see go through the wall and into the box on the other side, so it's possible. I just really want to avoid it. But I appreciate the encouragement and I share your enthusiasm about DIY projects like wiring and so on, it can be fun, just really don't feel like it in this case!
post #8 of 27 Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I'd contact the cableco and ask to have it opened/unlocked before going to any effort.
On the plus side, maybe they'll say sure.
On the negative side, maybe they'll say no, it's their property.

Also, if they do say no, you should be aware that you could possibly get into trouble tampering with the locked box (from either side of the wall).
post #9 of 27 Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Hi all,

In my house there are Coax outputs in about 4 of the rooms, designed for Cable TV, including an upstairs output near the attic. I want to connect an HDTV Antenna installed in my attic to this upstairs "output", and then run this feed to all other other outputs in the house for HDTV in all the rooms.

Problem is, all the lines terminate in a locked cable box attached to my home. I want to avoid trying to dig into the wall behind to reach them, and simply open this box, attaching my HDTV feed to the splitter in there, or directly to the room the main tv is in at least for now.

I don't want to steal cable! I just want access to the cabling that is installed in my own home! I don't want coax cables running through my home when there are already ones installed in the walls.

This is the lock on the box - does anyone know what tool is required to unlock it?

Thanks!
As a person that has spent many years in the "field", I can tell you that you can likely accomplish what you want without accessing the cable company box. Even if you can get your hands on a key to open it, no one except authorized cable company personnel has any legit reason to go in there plus you can get yourself in legal trouble. Yes legal trouble and not just with your home owners assoc/condo board.

If you no longer have cable tv and the line is disconnected at the tap inside the box, You can simply "backfeed" the antenna signal from one of the former cable "outputs". Even though you have 4 outlets, it doens't mean all 4 go back to that box. Cable company taps are designed for one port per household, not per room. Likely 1 cable goes to the box and it gets split inside your unit. You would however have to reconfigure any splitters that may either be at a central point (basement, utility closet, garage). If it's a "loop" configuration, then the splitters will be located behind wall plates will have to be reversed. Make sure not to back feed your antenna signal into the cable that feeds your unit otherwise you will disrupt cable service to your neighbors and will get a rude knock on your door.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
As a person that has spent many years in the "field", I can tell you that you can likely accomplish what you want without accessing the cable company box. Even if you can get your hands on a key to open it, no one except authorized cable company personnel has any legit reason to go in there plus you can get yourself in legal trouble. Yes legal trouble and not just with your home owners assoc/condo board.

If you no longer have cable tv and the line is disconnected at the tap inside the box, You can simply "backfeed" the antenna signal from one of the former cable "outputs". Even though you have 4 outlets, it doens't mean all 4 go back to that box. Cable company taps are designed for one port per household, not per room. Likely 1 cable goes to the box and it gets split inside your unit. You would however have to reconfigure any splitters that may either be at a central point (basement, utility closet, garage). If it's a "loop" configuration, then the splitters will be located behind wall plates will have to be reversed. Make sure not to back feed your antenna signal into the cable that feeds your unit otherwise you will disrupt cable service to your neighbors and will get a rude knock on your door.
Unfortunately I know that the only splitter is in that box. The Cable co only allows a maximum of 4 outlets per household, and when they did the original installation (before I cancelled) I was told that the splitter for all the rooms was in that box and I could choose which rooms got cable.

I appreciate the feedback, and insight into the legal risks involved.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Have you tried bribery? Sounds silly, but the cable company probably has the feed shut off at the curb or pole, anyway. A six-pack or a gift card plus an explanation to a random tech down the street will probably get the box open for you, though the guy will probably want to cut the line from the curb back far enough you can't accidentally tie on to it. Granted, it's not a sure thing, but it can't hurt to try. I've gotten several amps, multiswitches and spools of RG-6 cable this way.
Skytrooper likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Have you tried bribery? Sounds silly, but the cable company probably has the feed shut off at the curb or pole, anyway. A six-pack or a gift card plus an explanation to a random tech down the street will probably get the box open for you, though the guy will probably want to cut the line from the curb back far enough you can't accidentally tie on to it. Granted, it's not a sure thing, but it can't hurt to try. I've gotten several amps, multiswitches and spools of RG-6 cable this way.
Good point. I got freebies just by being friendly and or helping cable and satellite installers.

The best deal I got is when they installed a new gas line on my street. Used to BS with the guys and give them drinks. When the time came to connect the line up to my house, it was leaking badly. The local plumber wanted 950$ and there was no digging involved. The gas company told me what parts I needed. When I returned with the parts (45$) they took them off of me, jumped down in the hole and in 20 minutes it was done. I handed them 40$ and they gave me 20$ back. They even told me what number to call and what to say to have the gas turned back on. Total job cost, 65$.

Yes, just being friendly and or bribery works.
nyctveng likes this.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #13 of 27 Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, however I already looked at these sorts of tools before - they appear to be designed for cable termination locks, which are round with a small centre pin, not a jagged large pin like on the lock I have posted. Correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps the right tool is in that list somewhere, but I don't know which as there are many different types and the pictures always show just the tool, not the lock it's designed for.
These are wrenches for that kind of lock.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40

Unfortunately, they cost $35 each. A few years ago, someone was offering really, really chincy ones made of plastic and selling them with a gigantic warning that they were junk and couldn't withstand much force, so to even have a chance with those, one had to press in on the box cover and keep tapping it while trying to turn the lock cylinder.

There are no longer any regulations on the number of drops you can have in your home. That went out either with the 1987 deregulation or the 1993 re-regulation - I forget which - but the cable company might have a policy for the number of drops it will support without you paying extra for installation and amplification if needed

You're not going to get into trouble by unlocking and accessing the box as long as you don't break anything, and in most markets all or nearly all channels are digitized and scrambled now so most cable companies have little reason to care whether a box is left unlocked,

Last edited by AntAltMike; 07-16-2014 at 09:40 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you own or rent the property?
post #15 of 27 Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
You're not going to get into trouble by unlocking and accessing the box as long as you don't break anything, and in most markets all or nearly all channels are digitized and scrambled now so most cable companies have little reason to care whether a box is left unlocked,
Unless the laws in Canada are different.
A phone call can't hurt.
post #16 of 27 Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
Just because cable companies encrypt channels doesn't mean it's now ok for a non-subscriber to go into a lockbox. Yes it's locked for a reason! To keep unauthorized personnel out of it. Just like one is not allowed to access a phone junction box or cell phone tower. Cable wires carry not only TV but sensitive data and lifeline phone as well. If god forbid an unauthorized person accidentally knocks out another customer's phone during an emergency, it's on them. DO NOT ENCOURAGE STUPID BEHAVIOR!!!
post #17 of 27 Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A bank in my community has a big safe. I know it contains money.
Is it okay for me to gain entry to the safe from the other side of the wall?
nyctveng and CanadaJimmy like this.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post
Do you own or rent the property?
I own the property, but:
- It is part of a Strata.
- Something like 0.2% or 0.5% (I forget the exact figure - it's on the Title search which I have somewhere...) of the property is owned by the Cable company, for that box.
Unsure of the legal situation exactly, or differences between the laws in Canada and the US regarding them.

AntAltMike - thanks for your response - really big help.

I am uneasy about opening the box. It's not something I really wanted to do. I am contemplating intercepting the wires behind the box and adding my own "OTA HDTV box" to the inside wall, and attaching male coax connectors to all the rooms, and female coax connectors to all the wires leading into the cable box so they can be reconnected if I sell the place and the new owner wants to get cable again. Might be a more legal approach.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
post #20 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

OR

Or,

I once set up a satellite/off-air headend at a new Sunrise Senior Living community where the local management was doing a really inept job of contracting, and the local cable company had installed three huge locked junction boxes with about 60 drop wires in each even though no service contract or even access agreement had been signed.

I had to have access to all 180 of those drop lines, and while two of the three boxes were unlocked, one was not. I discovered that on a Friday evening of the Labor Day weekend, and the grand opening was scheduled for Tuesday, so I showed the locked box to the manager and said that I could give him a crowbar to pry it open or a sawzall to cut it open, but in either case, realistically, he'd at least be liable for the replacement and removal cost of the box, or I could cut the 60 wires coming in, which would result in the loss of wire tag identification of those units. He choose the latter.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 07-18-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #21 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
While he's got everyone on the topic can anyone tell me how to open this? Every summer fire ants invade the pedestal next to my driveway that supplies my internet and starts causing signal issues. After 3 or 4 service calls the guy finally left it unlocked and told me to spray inside it every few months to keep them at bay. Recently everything went "digital" in our area though, and when they came around to adjust things for that they locked it back. Now the fire ants are back, and I don't want to pay $50 for a service call.

It doesn't appear to have a "lock" per say, but the darn thing won't pop up like it always did. Like the OP I already pay for service, and things are "digital" here anyway so there is nothing to steal. Just trying to save the $50 for a truck roll by handling the problem myself. To clarify some previous comments, this box is on my property (3 feet from my house, 35 feet away from the right of way area on the road) and supplies signal only my property. Much larger boxes contain all the circuitry for phone, power and cable tv in our neighborhood. They're located sparingly throughout the neighborhood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	can.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	168113  

Last edited by cpalmer2k; 07-18-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #22 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Call your local government, complain and have them put pressure on the cableco to remediate the ant problem in their property (which resides on your property).
post #23 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Call your local government, complain and have them put pressure on the cableco to remediate the ant problem in their property (which resides on your property).
That's the problem... they claim they don't own it, because it is on my property and only supplies service to my house. Their RG-11 line runs to a splitter in it, which connects to the line the contractor ran to the wiring panel inside the house when it was built. Instead of the little plastic box on the side of my house I have this monster sitting in the yard. The story goes that the property was right at the "limit" of how far they're allowed to run RG-11, so they used this and made the contractor run the line to meet them. They claim they're only responsible for what is in the huge wiring boxes spread throughout. Hence the reason they charge a "truck roll" every time they come out. To them it is part of my "internal wiring"

Last edited by cpalmer2k; 07-18-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #24 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
That's the problem... they claim they don't own it, because it is on my property and only supplies service to my house. Their RG-11 line runs to a splitter in it, which connects to the line the contractor ran to the wiring panel inside the house when it was built. Instead of the little plastic box on the side of my house I have this monster sitting in the yard. The story goes that the property was right at the "limit" of how far they're allowed to run RG-11, so they used this and made the contractor run the line to meet them. They claim they're only responsible for what is in the huge wiring boxes spread throughout. Hence the reason they charge a "truck roll" every time they come out. To them it is part of my "internal wiring"
Do you have any negotiating leverage? Can you plausibly tell them that if they don't leave it unlocked for you, you will be changing providers? If you do that, you should submit your ultimatum in writing, with snail-mail copies to whomever you think would be the superiors of the customer service rep, just to hold his feet to the fire.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If they lock it... they own it. They probably have an easement to place their equipment on your property.

Don't let them BS you. If the ants are a major problem and they don't want to address it, then as I said...
Contact your local government. Escalate with your cableco. Call a local network news affiliate and ask to run a human interest story/consumer report.

It's probable that if there's a ped on your property, it provides service to more homes than just yours. So, cancelling service won't resolve the issue.
post #26 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
It sounds like 2 things. One, you're at the end of a road/street. Two, the cable plant was extended improperly by an RG11 to serve your home. Normally it would be a .500 hard line cable feeding into a 2 to 8 port multitap. RG11 coax is normally used for drops over 200 feet or emergency trunk line cable repairs that can't be done quickly with .500 (1/2 inch) cable or thicker. A cable company's responsibility is up to the demarcation point which normally is the side of your home where the ground block is. I'm curious to know what company this is as it's also their responsibility to run the drop to your house whether it be aerial or underground.Many cable companies also sell B.S. wire maintenance service which is a scam but those that don't have it , they must make sure they hand off a good signal at the demarcation (side of house) Regardless of if the ped box is on your property, you're technically not allowed to access it locked or not.
post #27 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The cable company is of course, not required to provide service to anyone who does not agree to pay the installation cost. Cable is largely unregulated at present, and even when it was regulated, I remember they told my local Elks Lodge that if we wanted cable TV at our new lodge on the outskirts of town, we had to pay them $1,600 to run the line.

Back when customers were not permitted to make their own internal connections and splits, the cable company was responsible for the signal strength of every wallplate, but now, I think they only are responsible to guarantee a certain strength and quality to the demark point, so if that is now the case, then it seems to me that they are obligated to make that demark point accessible to the customer.

I stopped following the dereg/rereg of cable back around the time they issued the first or second Internal Wiring Order, so I can't give you the definitive word on what has evolved/devolved since then, but if your local cable service is still a monopoly, then I would think that your city hall still has some authority over their practices and if they do, then they might be able to nudge the cable company to get you access to your own demark point. If you have to negotiate this on your own, then I advise you to heed the advice I gave earlier regarding strengthening your negotiating position by threatening to change providers. If there isn't another wired provider, then make sure that your ultimatum letter mentions the name of a satellite or wireless internet provider if you are also getting internet from this company

Last edited by AntAltMike; 07-18-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Reply HDTV Technical