Smart TV Internet Connection Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smart TV Internet Connection Question

I know that a hard wired Ethernet connection would be better, but is it possible / advisable to have a 'wireless internet connection' to my Smart TV.

Not certain it's relevant, but I have FIOS Internet and use an Apple Extreme Base Station (router) and also an Apple Express to extend and strengthen my internet signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 380
It's whatever you feel comfortable with and what will give you the best signal. Wired will not have any interference issues like you can with wireless. It sounds like your wireless connection goes thru two "hops", Apple Extreme to Apple Express so that might cause reliability issues.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebstrummin View Post
I know that a hard wired Ethernet connection would be better, but is it possible / advisable to have a 'wireless internet connection' to my Smart TV.
Hardwired is best.
Wireless is possible. IMO, only advisable as a last resort.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I use wireless for both my Roku and Chromecast with no problem streaming 1080p video. Wireless works fine when it's configured correctly and the noise floor is relatively low. Most people use default settings on a wireless AP which is half the problem, because they all seem to default to the same RF channel. People that have problems with wireless are those closely surrounded by others such as in an apartment complex.

Did you ask the question because you're seeing trouble using wireless?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If you use Wireless, you may find moving to 5GHz improves things for you, though you may need to use an external Wifi->Ethernet bridge unit (quite a lot of consumer devices only have 2.4GHz WiFi) In my territory 5GHz is far less congested and delivers much faster and more reliable connections, though the range may be lower. (I live in a small apartment so that's not a big issue for me)
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I use wireless for both my Roku and Chromecast with no problem streaming 1080p video. Wireless works fine when it's configured correctly and the noise floor is relatively low. Most people use default settings on a wireless AP which is half the problem, because they all seem to default to the same RF channel. People that have problems with wireless are those closely surrounded by others such as in an apartment complex.

Did you ask the question because you're seeing trouble using wireless?
I haven't purchased the Smart TV yet but I'm trying to determine if I am going to have to move my hardwired Apple Extreme base station router upstairs where the Smart TV will be located.

Today I have the Extereme downstairs where it is hardwired to my iMAC. To extend and strengthen the signal upstairs I have an Apple Express which gives me good connectivity for iPADs and and other wireless devices.

I just do not know if it would be a good enough 'wireless' signal to take full advantage of the Smart Tvs capabilities.

And THANKS everyone for your input.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 380
It's hard not to buy a tv nowadays that isn't Smart so your options are limited if you don't want one. I'd just go ahead and see how well it works for you. If the SmartApps are unreliable with the wireless connection you could always get an AppleTV and see if that has a better and more reliable WiFi connection. Our AppleTV has always worked very well via WiFi but we have since wired it to the router (via CAT-6). For me I would much rather "dumb" out my tv and use some sort of STB for apps etc because I'm not a fan of my tv always being connected to the internet. But, to answer your original question, wired is always better than WiFi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page