Mohu Leaf - Amplified or Not - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Mohu Leaf - Amplified or Not

So I have a mohu leaf 50, which is the amplified version. When I have the amplifier plugged in, I get 100% signal strength. After doing some searching online, I've read that using an amplifier can result in an overdriven signal and actually hurt PQ if it's not needed, so I unplugged the amplifier to see what the signal strength is unamplified. Right now, I'm getting 60-75% depending on channel. So, what do people think - use the amplifier or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you unplug the power to the amplifier without physically removing the amp from the circuit, you will only get the strongest signals.

Use whatever configuration works best.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
I've read that using an amplifier can result in an overdriven signal and actually hurt PQ if it's not needed, so I unplugged the amplifier to see what the signal strength is unamplified.
You would notice PQ being affected if the tuner was being over-driven similar to a signal not being strong enough. My guess is you're probably seeing no difference between the PQ at 100% and at 60-75%...where you'll have the problem is losing channels that were weak before and now no longer work. If you want to channels too, then turn the Amp back on.