post #31 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
I guess most folks with dual or multi antenna systems use a combiner, with an associated loss, then if desired / needed, into a preamp with single input.
There is a way around this problem. I have a Tin Lee VHF/UHF diplexer that passes DC to both input ports. I have two separate preamps located close to the antenna. The diplexer loss becomes irrelevant. Both preamps are run from a single power supply in the house. Preamps don't use much current so the power supply has plenty of capacity to spare.
TonyB1966 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thank you Calaveras. Interesting. I only need amplification on one antenna, the one tasked to get Sutro 63 miles away. The other one really is not necessary, but it does seem to help... Nice to know that I can go that route. Thanks for sharing.

That said, with the CM-7777 here, waiting to get return instructions, i tried it. I compared it to the RCA that was recently sent to me as a free warranty replacement, and the RCA generally outperformed the CM-7777 (SNR-based comparison). Pleasantly surprised...

FOX and CBS (2.1 and 5.1 here in the Bay Area) are still sketchy at times though. Drat. I'm guessing that more amplification, like via a disti amp is not the solution though...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 07-30-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #33 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If you want a good low noise preamp, then you may want to consider a Kitztech 100 or Kitztech 200, based upon your needs. The 100 has adjustable gain. But you may have to use an external UVSJ and an FM trap.
post #34 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you tylerSC. I had not heard of the KT-100 and 200. After some reading, it might be worth a try. It seems to be stronger in the VHF range though, and I'm more focused on a couple UHF channels . I guess folks buy direct from them as I don't exactly see these for sale elsewhere, which is fine...

Thanks again.
post #35 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If you need to improve your UHF reception, you probably need to improve your UHF antenna to one that's higher gain on the channels of concern. The C4 is pretty decent for its small size, but sometimes you really need to put more metal up in the air, often higher. Like the hot rodders say, there no replacement for displacement. Same idea, if done right.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
If you need to improve your UHF reception, you probably need to improve your UHF antenna to one that's higher gain on the channels of concern. The C4 is pretty decent for its small size, but sometimes you really need to put more metal up in the air, often higher. Like the hot rodders say, there no replacement for displacement. Same idea, if done right.
Yup, I hear you, on that quote too. Forced induction changed that dynamic somewhat though...

I'm in a community of sorts and I'd rather not push the matter with a larger antenna. I could go huge, but in the attic. Might that be worth the trade-off (being in the attic)?
post #37 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post

FOX and CBS (2.1 and 5.1 here in the Bay Area) are still sketchy at times though. Drat. I'm guessing that more amplification, like via a disti amp is not the solution though...

I remember you now. You're in Morgan Hill near Anderson Reservoir. We went through this before. Knowing where you are and your tree issues there's no chance you're going to get solid reception without an antenna above all the trees. You just can't expect more at that distance. You're only going to get a couple dB of improvement with the Kitztech over the RCA. That might help with a station that drops out a few minutes once a day but it won't be enough with more severe drop outs. More amplification is rarely the answer because once you have a preamp gain is rarely the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Calaveras; 07-30-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #38 of 38 Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Late night, just got home... Yup, in a roundabout way, this got back to that other thread, where I shared my location (out by Anderson Reservoir). The most damning tree is one that will need to come down as its roots are lifting a concrete slab near the house (foundation concerns). I already trimmed it back a lot and feel that once it's down, reception-wise, it should make for some difference...

I'd take a couple dB of improvement (Kitztech vs the RCA)! Seems to be about the same price as the CM, so maybe I'll just use the refunded $ from the CM-7777 on this device. It's not a dual input though, but I found that I can get the one channel I want from the other antenna, with the UHF one.

If I get the KT-200, I'll report back...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page