Random center channel dialog very low on ID "murder" shows - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Random center channel dialog very low on ID "murder" shows

Comcast cable, Stockton CA, WMC cable card tuner, hdmi to Onkyo 7.1 TXNR515, in place for over a year. This particular issue happens on many shows we watch only on the ID channel (Investigation Discovery). It just started recently (within 4-6 weeks). It happens randomly. The center channel dialog will get very low, like the narrator got up and walked away from the mic, then some time later (several seconds to a minute or two) walks back over to the mic. It might happen 2 or 3 or 4 times in a one hour show. If I rewind the program, I can verify that the issue repeats in the exact same way at the exact same spots in the show. So it appears to be recorded in the show and thus is not my system faltering.

Does anyone else watch these shows on ID and can say they have heard this problem happening?

PLEASE DON'T MOVE THIS TO A LOCAL OR COMCAST FORUM

Thanks

Last edited by hammerdwn; 07-22-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I won't, but you should ask in the local forum. If there was a big issue with 5.1 audio on any popular cable channel nationwide, we'd most likely already have a thread going.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I'm guessing somebody has a bad processing box in line trying to force the audio signal to ITU R128 loudness standards, and it's not set up correctly. This wouldn't be the first time nor the last time this kind of thing happens.

Call the cable company and complain, and follow it up with an email. I would also try to get the same show recorded on a different cable system and/or DirecTV or Dish, then compare the recordings. Do that, and you might have a sense of how and where the signal is going wrong.

I can tell you that these cheap cable reality shows are generally mixed in the edit bay, and as a result audio is about 1% of the attention of the producers. Their belief is if they can hear some audio there, it's basically good enough. The better shows spend more money and actually mix the show in a dedicated mixing theater, but not enough of them do this, especially on cable budgets.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Are you sure you are not hearing the "Spanish/DVS (Descriptive Video Service)" channel?
That will have some really weird sounding stuff, as they bring DVS narration in and out. Also, when shows are not prepared with DVS, there can often be some "scratch-track" audio left on there, from editing processes....not really meant for broadcast, but they often do get out that way.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page