How to record from cable box - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to record from cable box

I have Time Warner and wanted to record a show transfer to my computer as a avi file. After some research it appears extremely hard to extract it from the cable box dvr. Is there a way I can put something after the cable box to record a channel? Would a capture card from the cable box work? I was thinking of using the component out and optical audio out since the hdmi has hdcp. Or is there an easier way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You could do that with something like the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR (or similar products), but it doesn't have the ability to change channels on your cable so you would have to have the cable box turn to the channel you want to record.

Another option is to look at SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime and rent a cable card from your cable provider. The only issue is that if the cable company sets up a show with the CCI flag "Copy Never" you won't be able to record that show. Also to use the HDHomeRun Prime as a DVR you would need a computer running software listed on their product page.

Last edited by DrDon; 07-23-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
For more details on offloading video from a cableco DVR or building your own box, visit our HTPC section. You'll find threads on the above-mentioned Hauppauge 1212, 1512 and Colossus capture devices, as well as everything you need to build your own DVR, which I highly recommend.

The only thing you need to be concerned about is your cable companies implementation of copy protection if you need to watch on a device other than the one used to record the program.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Forget the cable box. Go with the Homerun Prime or Ceton. Then you can get rid of the cable box and associated fees entirely and save a ton of cash and avoid the complexity of video capture. Copy Never is a non-issue as it's about as common as being struck by lightning.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Forget the cable box. Go with the Homerun Prime or Ceton. Then you can get rid of the cable box and associated fees entirely and save a ton of cash and avoid the complexity of video capture. Copy Never is a non-issue as it's about as common as being struck by lightning.
IIRC, Copy-Never is quite common on PPV or On-Demand channels. But rare anywhere else.

OP is Time Warner, and TW employs Copy Once on everything except broadcast and Public Access. So any CableCARD device he uses to record "cable-channel" programs will marry the file to the computer. Playback will only be possible from the computer he records it on or an "extender." Can't even stream outbound. For most, that's no big deal. If he's looking to make shows portable, he'll have to go with a cable box and capture device. Which he'll need, anyway, to offload files from the cableco DVR.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
IIRC, Copy-Never is quite common on PPV or On-Demand channels. But rare anywhere else.

OP is Time Warner, and TW employs Copy Once on everything except broadcast and Public Access. So any CableCARD device he uses to record "cable-channel" programs will marry the file to the computer. Playback will only be possible from the computer he records it on or an "extender." Can't even stream outbound. For most, that's no big deal. If he's looking to make shows portable, he'll have to go with a cable box and capture device. Which he'll need, anyway, to offload files from the cableco DVR.

Let me clarify my purpose for this. Our local cable has a scenic station that loops a documentary of where we live and I wanted to record that as an avi or any computer file. Then I wanted to transfer it to my office plex to play for our clients. I realize this is a gray area legally like using netflix or hulu in the office but i really like the documentary. I'm not interested at all to record other shows or movies from my cable box, just this one time fix of recording it. Maybe recording the channel for 8 hrs so I can play it only once myself without having to loop it on my end since plex can't continuously repeat.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Capture card or DVD/HDD recorder. Latter is probably cheapest, simplest option on eBay or your local walmart. Rip resulting DVD to avi.

Or simply ask the maker if you could buy a copy.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 61
Yeah, if it's just for one program, I'd just contact the publisher for a pristine copy and play that. It'd be 100% legal, and would probably cost less money (and certainly less time) than trying to record it. If it's a local documentary, they'd probably be thrilled that someone would want to purchase or license it. And you wouldn't have to worry about a possible (slim, but possible) cease and desist order.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!