Audio hum from FIOS box - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hammerdwn
  • 1 Post By AntAltMike

post #1 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio hum from FIOS box

I installed a new amplifier in my home theater rig and immediately noticed a hum that wasn't present with the old amplifier. I traced the problem to the coax cable from the FIOS cable box. The hum was present if the cable box, modem, and the amplifier were all plugged into the same surge protector. The hum was present if the cable box's AC was unplugged. The hum went away if I unplugged the coax cable, regardless if the AC was plugged in or not.

I eliminated the hum by passing the coax cable thru the surge protector. My question is, should I leave it at that? Would you say that "fixed" the problem? Or is that merely a kludge? Should I dig deeper and see if I can find a wiring mistake? Maybe the FIOS installer did something incorrect? Or should I consider the problem solved? Electrical problems are not my forte.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Please keep topic titles specific. See my edit.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
...I eliminated the hum by passing the coax cable thru the surge protector. My question is, should I leave it at that? Would you say that "fixed" the problem? Or is that merely a kludge? Should I dig deeper and see if I can find a wiring mistake? Maybe the FIOS installer did something incorrect? Or should I consider the problem solved? Electrical problems are not my forte.

Thanks.
As long as you still get all your channels and good internet performance then that should be fine. But it would be advisable to connect a ground outside where the FIOS coax line enters your home to your electrical panel ground/earth ground. If in doubt, call FIOS provider to do it for you.
meli likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
But it would be advisable to connect a ground outside where the FIOS coax line enters your home to your electrical panel ground/earth ground.
I thought that FiOS was "fiber" to the home/premises. The coax doesn't "begin" until "after" the ONT which is located inside the home.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I eliminated the hum by passing the coax cable thru the surge protector. My question is, should I leave it at that? Would you say that "fixed" the problem? Or is that merely a kludge? Should I dig deeper and see if I can find a wiring mistake? Maybe the FIOS installer did something incorrect? Or should I consider the problem solved? Electrical problems are not my forte.
Actually, it is a Kludge that works. What you have installed is functioning as a ground interrupter. Both sides of the circuit are still grounded, but there is not also a "loop" picking up interference.

Grounds are required by electrical codes to reduce shock and fire hazards. Grounds that satisfy those codes sometimes are troublesome because of their concurrent inclusion in technical ground paths, which are grounds that enable low voltage circuits to work or to work well. Your problem is solved and can be considered so.
meli likes this.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 07-30-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page