HDMI ARC compatibility? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
James A. McGahee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI ARC compatibility?

Does anyone know which of these are/or are not ARC Ready/Capable/Compatible?:


DirecTV DVR Model HR34-700 w/Genie/slave
Onkyo HT-RC 370 Receiver
Samsung TV Model UN75ES9000FXZA


Also I would like to know the best place to post this. I can't seem to locate
a DLP Display section or an Official Samsung 9000 thread.


A good explanation of ARC would be helpful. The more I read the more confusing it gets. Just purchased the new 9000 above. I found a list stating that it has ARC and the HDMI connection on back says ARC but I also found a list and this model manufactured in 2012 does not list it.


Does ARC eliminate the need for an HDMI cable. I read all you need if components are ARC compatible are the power cords, but I also read that the HDMI cables need to be ARC capable. Need help. Thanks!
James A. McGahee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 290
DLP is rear-projection. However, the model you post is an LCD. There are display sections for both. ARC is an HDMI thing, so I'm just going to split you off into your own thread here in Technical

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.
DrDon is offline  
Old 08-03-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,515
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
ARC, Audio Return Channel, is an HDMI connection that gives you bi-directional audio. The best it can do is 5.1 and the only real advantage is that you can eliminate the use of an optical cable. Both devices, the receiver and the tv have to be ARC capable, otherwise it will default to uni-directional, from the source to the tv. ARC will allow to send audio to your tv and receive audio from your tv using a single HDMI cable. ARC is usually associated with CEC, Consumer Electronic Control, because both use an HDMI connection. CEC allows you to control all HDMI-connected devices with a single remote but it is fraught with incompatibility issues. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I disabled ARC/CEC on my system and use a single optical cable from my tv to the receiver to send audio when using the internal ATSC tuner for OTA tv. All other devices are connected via HDMI to the receiver. I use a Harmony programmable remote to control all devices with a single remote.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
James A. McGahee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
ARC, Audio Return Channel, is an HDMI connection that gives you bi-directional audio. The best it can do is 5.1 and the only real advantage is that you can eliminate the use of an optical cable. Both devices, the receiver and the tv have to be ARC capable, otherwise it will default to uni-directional, from the source to the tv. ARC will allow to send audio to your tv and receive audio from your tv using a single HDMI cable. ARC is usually associated with CEC, Consumer Electronic Control, because both use an HDMI connection. CEC allows you to control all HDMI-connected devices with a single remote but it is fraught with incompatibility issues. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I disabled ARC/CEC on my system and use a single optical cable from my tv to the receiver to send audio when using the internal ATSC tuner for OTA tv. All other devices are connected via HDMI to the receiver. I use a Harmony programmable remote to control all devices with a single remote.
Thank you for this clarification and explanation!! I finally got it!
James A. McGahee is offline  
Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have tried ARC, but I find it more problematic on my TV and AMP, so I just use an optical cable out from TV, it is exactly the same thing.


ARC is pretty much useful only if you use an amp plus watch OTA broadcasts, or stream video apps from TV ( Netflix, Vudu, etc).
mikepier is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have run into a situation where it appears my Yamaha RX-V475 and the Vizio M471i-A2 are not compatible using ARC. I was expecting to use a single HDMI 1.4 compliant cable connection between the TV and the receiver, built into the wall.

Does anyone know if this issue has been sighted by anyone else and if there are any fixes or workarounds? One would expected this would have been solved by interop testing and plug fests.
Bill_T is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_T View Post
I have run into a situation where it appears my Yamaha RX-V475 and the Vizio M471i-A2 are not compatible using ARC. I was expecting to use a single HDMI 1.4 compliant cable connection between the TV and the receiver, built into the wall.

Does anyone know if this issue has been sighted by anyone else and if there are any fixes or workarounds? One would expected this would have been solved by interop testing and plug fests.

I had issue with my Vizio and Onkyo amp to the point I don't use ARC.


Is there a way you can run additional optical or coaxial connection between your amp and tv?
mikepier is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,515
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_T View Post
I have run into a situation where it appears my Yamaha RX-V475 and the Vizio M471i-A2 are not compatible using ARC. I was expecting to use a single HDMI 1.4 compliant cable connection between the TV and the receiver, built into the wall.

Does anyone know if this issue has been sighted by anyone else and if there are any fixes or workarounds? One would expected this would have been solved by interop testing and plug fests.
First, there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. A cable designated as high speed will meet and exceed HDMI 1.4 specs and will also meet the HDMI 2.0 specs once they become integrated into newer consumer devices. Just get a certified cable.

ARC/CEC, as has been pointed out previously, is very problematic for some because of the non-standardized way that CEC protocols are implemented. There are no updates by any of the mfrs that I am aware of that will fix that. You either have devices that play nicely together or you don't. The only for sure fix is to use an optical cable and a programmable remote like a Harmony. Once HDMI 2.0 is fully implemented (new chipsets) in consumer devices that shouldn't be a problem because the CEC Extensions protocols will be all mandatory and not optional like they are now. However, that will require consumers to upgrade, if possible, or replace their hardware.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
First, there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. A cable designated as high speed will meet and exceed HDMI 1.4 specs and will also meet the HDMI 2.0 specs once they become integrated into newer consumer devices. Just get a certified cable.

ARC/CEC, as has been pointed out previously, is very problematic for some because of the non-standardized way that CEC protocols are implemented. There are no updates by any of the mfrs that I am aware of that will fix that. You either have devices that play nicely together or you don't. The only for sure fix is to use an optical cable and a programmable remote like a Harmony. Once HDMI 2.0 is fully implemented (new chipsets) in consumer devices that shouldn't be a problem because the CEC Extensions protocols will be all mandatory and not optional like they are now. However, that will require consumers to upgrade, if possible, or replace their hardware.
Thanks Otto.

I am about 2 weeks away from tossing in the towel on making ARC work, it currently works real well for folks with hearing impairments between Visio and Yamaha. I know this 1.4 cable issue is FUD, but that is always the first question the folks in the tech support teams ask. Either the pairing works or it does not.......sounds like interoperability testing is one of those things that follows a "buy and try" or "plug and pray" paradigm. I can make it work using optical, but need a $40 converter as I am not taking my walls and mantlepiece....I have a second HDMI connection in the wall that is currently unused, but I never thought I would need a legacy audio link with "modern" 2014 state of the art AV equipment. It may be one of those cases you get what you pay for....or more appropriately you don't get what you don't pay for.
Bill_T is offline  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,515
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I know it's too late for you now but if you ever remodel, run 1" conduit for your cables, with a pull-string. Makes repairing/replacing cables so much easier and cost effective. However, it's not the cable, it's the devices. And we're a long way off still for having all devices, regardless of mfr, play nicely with ARC/CEC without any incompatibilities.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I know it's too late for you now but if you ever remodel, run 1" conduit for your cables, with a pull-string. Makes repairing/replacing cables so much easier and cost effective. However, it's not the cable, it's the devices. And we're a long way off still for having all devices, regardless of mfr, play nicely with ARC/CEC without any incompatibilities.
We live in SC so I'll be using the snake this weekend. I have the 1 inch conduit in 3 places in the house between the crawl space and attic, for ethernet and cable drops but given the type of remodel I did a few months ago, it did not lend itself to conduit. My son is a engineer for a STB mfr and he convinced ARC was the enmd all be all. Thanks for providing me a dose of reality.
Bill_T is offline  
Old 08-25-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,515
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
ARC does work for some but most of the time it's a pain in the a$$ and hardly worth the time in trying to figure it out or get it to work. Probably because it's related to CEC (both use HDMI protocols) which is a real pain.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Old 08-31-2014, 05:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
ARC does work for some but most of the time it's a pain in the a$$ and hardly worth the time in trying to figure it out or get it to work. Probably because it's related to CEC (both use HDMI protocols) which is a real pain.
After looking for a commercial off the Shelf solution for an adapter that can take optical audio output from the TV and transform it into HDMI, I have concluded that nothing exists, and I don't have the inclination to design and build something, I've decided I will just live with the issue.....perhaps Yamaha or Vizio will come up with a patch in the future In the mean time, it was simpler to buy a streaming media player for the Netflix and Amazon.

Bottom line......when doing a custom in wall mount for the TV......don't merely rely on ARC working.....bench test it first. Include an optical cable as Otto suggests and don't paint yourself into a corner like I did.

Things will improve as standards evolve thru interoperability testing.
Bill_T is offline  
Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,515
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
ARC/CEC should be more compatible once HDMI 2.0 chipsets are installed in all devices, but that is still a ways off. Firmware upgrades are probably not going to happen either because it's just too difficult and there isn't a good ROI on it.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 08-31-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Otto Pylot is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off