• 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By nyctveng

post #1 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cat6 was working, now failed

I have been using dual cat6 from an HDMI splitter to my onkyo amp. This was carrying my satellite TV signal to my man cave. This has been working for for about 6 months and has now stopped working. It appears to be directly related to the cat6 cable. Can anyone Assist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Check the wiring to make sure nothing has come lose or is touching another wire. Check the splitter. How long is your run? If it's a long run, hopefully you installed the CAT-6 in a conduit so you can pull and replace the cable should you have to replace it. Is your run a relatively straight run or are there any sharp bends?
kjfalls likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
agree to check the wiring. I'd start at the punchdown connectors. They're great for a nice stable connection, but if you plug and unplug and replug enough times, especially with a larger cable like an HDMI one, they can work loose. If the cat 6 isn't inside conduit, then there could be rodent issues as well, so you'll probably want to do a continuity test from end to end. good luck!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I forgot about the continuity test. Good idea. Testers can be relatively cheap and at the very least will indicate that your wiring is still proper at both ends. I bought a tester for about $10 when we installed CAT-6 and it worked great before we sealed up the wall after conduit installation and placing the cable in place.
djjoshuad likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_09 View Post
I have been using dual cat6 from an HDMI splitter to my onkyo amp. This was carrying my satellite TV signal to my man cave. This has been working for for about 6 months and has now stopped working. It appears to be directly related to the cat6 cable. Can anyone Assist?
How did you confirm that it's the cat6 rather than the equipment hooked up on both ends? It's more likely you have failure of active equipment on either or both ends rather than passive cat6 cable. For a continuity test of the cat6, you can always hook up a router on one end and a PC on the other. To check for equipment failure, place equipment in same room and use a pair of short cat 5/6 patch cords. Good luck.
Ratman likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply. I wil, try that out.

The satellite TV signal (Sky tv) is still working on the other tv and the amp is still sending g the ps3 signal to the TV in the man cave. I have tried using a dvd player at one end into the app it doesn't work. And taken the amp out of the equation and it's not working g either.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

The run is about 20 meters. Some small angles. It will not be easy to replace.

The splitter is still still working fine.

My daughter has just told me she heard a bad sound from the amp the other day and stitched it off. Hmm. The amp is still working fine with the ps3
post #8 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Continuity is easy enough to check. Since the ends get the most abuse, it's most likely a problem with the ends. These are easily replaced if they are crimped RJ45 connectors. 20m is well within the CAT6 spec, so not a distance issue.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
Continuity is easy enough to check. Since the ends get the most abuse, it's most likely a problem with the ends. These are easily replaced if they are crimped RJ45 connectors. 20m is well within the CAT6 spec, so not a distance issue.
That's kind of meaningless as he's using the cable for HDMI.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page