Comcast picture quality is AWFUL - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrDon

post #1 of 25 Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Comcast picture quality is AWFUL

Am I the only one who has godawful image quality? My signal strength is 9.9 on most channels, but my picture is blurry. I talked to Comcast live chat, and she told me it's because projectors don't have very good image quality. I then called her an idiot and closed the chat. I then called the 1-800 number, and they transferred me to some dude who's telling me it's bad connections (I have good ends crimped onto RG6 run less than 20 feet right from a booster), and that's why my signal is low. He also told me that there's squares all through my picture (there's not), and that I need to pay the installer to come run cable for me. He had no answer as to why I was able to get 9.9 readings from the diagnostic dashboard.

wtf can I do? this is unwatchable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Signal quality/strength has nothing to do with picture quality (unless you are having picture and sound dropping out). All cable/satellite Tv is compressed to different degrees, different methods, different for every market/channel/show/frame of video...

What exactly does "awful" mean? compared to Satellite? or Antenna? or streaming? or disc?
Can you describe the actual symptoms?
Are you a new Comcast customer?
Did you always have this issue?
Did something change- cable box? display device? connections between the two? distance you sit from the display?
Do you get HD channels?
Is the box still set for 1080?
post #3 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 349
If the signal strength is okay and you're seeing blur, it's either the projector or Comcast's compression. Check ESPN or HBO. If THOSE are blurry, it's the projector. If some channels are less blurry than others, it's Comcast's compression. If it's cleaner on a different TV, it's probably the projector.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You mentioned that you have a signal booster what is the gain of it?
What type of connectors do you have from the STB to the projector?
Your actual D/S level is on the high side is a little high (9.9 dbmv) theoretically set tops should be able to work there.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADEoN1337 View Post
Am I the only one who has godawful image quality? My signal strength is 9.9 on most channels, but my picture is blurry. I talked to Comcast live chat, and she told me it's because projectors don't have very good image quality. I then called her an idiot and closed the chat. I then called the 1-800 number, and they transferred me to some dude who's telling me it's bad connections (I have good ends crimped onto RG6 run less than 20 feet right from a booster), and that's why my signal is low. He also told me that there's squares all through my picture (there's not), and that I need to pay the installer to come run cable for me. He had no answer as to why I was able to get 9.9 readings from the diagnostic dashboard.

Are you in an area where indoor over-the-air HD reception is available? If so, can you temporarily connect an antenna to the TV and compare the over-the-air picture quality to cable - in particular, Comcast's feed of the same channels?
post #6 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
Do you get HD channels?
Is the box still set for 1080?
This is a good question to ask. I believe most US cable companies still have their basic packages as SD only and charge a hefty premium for HD content. They'll often bundle it with DVR service as well, and your picture shows no DVR functionality. Comcast might have set you up with a plain old SD STB, which would look very blurry if you were used to HD.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

OP are you still with us?
post #8 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

it would help if you posted your projector model, location, network or networks that looks awful. i would bet that same box hooked up to a flat screen TV would look fine.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Yes, checking the Comcast signal to a HDTV would be worth checking, as would playing a Blu-ray to the projector. The additional testing is also useful for convincing the call center that it isn't your equipment (unless, of course, you find out that it is).

These are probably "dumb questions" but sitting on this side of the screen I have no idea if these were double-checked:

Are you sure you have the Comcast STB tuned to a HD channel? They generally have one range of channels for SD and another range for HD, so those who are on an SD-only tier will get just the SD channels, but those on a HD tier will get both SD and HD. For example, where I am, 1-699 are SD and 700 and up are HD, so my local ABC affiliate comes in on Channel 2 (STB displayed channel) for SD, but for HD it is 702.

Are you using the highest quality connection between the Comcast STB and the projector? If both have HDMI, almost always HDMI would be the best choice. If no HDMI, component video (Y, Pr, Pb RCA connectors, plus L & R audio RCA connectors) would typically be second best. Composite video (1 RCA video connector + L & R audo RCA connectors) would be next-to-last choice (last choice being NTSC analog RF coax and forcing the attached device to tune to NTSC channel 3 or 4). Both composite and RF coax are strictly SD and one or both types of connections are typically the only ones provided on a Comcast-issued STB for SD-only customers.

Is the STB configured to send a HD stream to the projector by whatever connection method you are using? On my STB, I have to turn the box off, then press Menu on the remote to get to the setup screen that allows me to configure what resolutions are allowed and whether or not to force the box to rescale all signals to a given resolution. While there, there might be a "sharpness" setting for analog connections so, if you are using component video, you might need to adjust that and see how various settings of appear on the screen.

Talking about scaling, if you are using the STB to rescale to a given resolution, is that your projector's native resolution? Almost always you want only one device doing the rescaling, either the projector (in my case, my TV), or the STB, but not both. If the STB has a "NATIVE" setting so it passes the same resolution on that the channel it is tuned to is using, then the rescaling is left to the attached projector (or TV), and that is likely to do a better job rescaling; but if the STB is configured to rescale, if at all possible, set it to rescale to the TV's native mode.

Anyway, diagnostic screens and menu screens are usually presented in the same resolution as the channel the STB is tuned to (this might not be true with the configuration screens from powering off the STB and then hitting Menu), so if I hit the program guide button or a menu button while tuned to what I think is a HD channel, and the text is fuzzy, I would be looking at the settings of the STB and the connection to the projector.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't respond immediately, I was a bit busy.

The projector is a JVC Rs4810, I'm located just outside pittsburgh pa.

I was watching the Hall of Fame game, and it was pretty bad, but I figured it was just because it was such a useless game. Then I watched a baseball game and couldn't even read jerseys unless they were up on the player.

The picture is incredible with blu rays. I have my receiver set up right. I hooked the Comcast box directly to the projector
post #11 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Also, it's hdmi.
post #12 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the triple post, but I'm gathering thoughts from each post.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/t...&feature_id=02 is the link to my projector.

I have a blu ray player, wii u, xbox 360, and the Comcast box hooked up to my receiver. The only one that sucks is Comcast.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I had Comcast six years ago but ran into problems with their signal quality & service. Plus, they blew off two home appointments and that sealed the deal for me.

Now - - to the projector issue. I have Directv and it's a very good picture. But, with a bigger screen comes more visible imperfections. On my smaller 65" LCD/LED TV - - an inferior signal (more compression) is not as noticeable. Not the case for the 100", 16 X 9 projector. It picks up everything. Live events should look the best but it can really vary, channel to channel, depending on the provider.

Bluray is phenomenal! That is, by far, the best picture, period, compared to everything else.

I also have a Darbee Darblet in the chain - - kind of like putting on glasses for your projector. I also run everything through my AVR - - video upscaling.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #14 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is video format of the Comcast box set for 1080? Bring up the menu settings of the box or input video format information on the receiver.

It's not fair to compare sports on cable to movies on bluray. Bluray will ALWAYS win. Even movies on cable to movies on bluray, bluray will ALWAYS win. It might be understandable if you were comparing cable to satellite. Maybe cable to OTA (OTA will usually win that).
post #15 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 220
A lot of Comcast's picture quality is dependent on the area. Where I am, Comcast PQ was top notch. Better than Dish and Direct both. My problem was with their hardware and CS.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #16 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I uploaded a few pictures - keep in mind the pictures are doing the picture justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140807_195907.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	201961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140807_195851.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	201969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140807_195833.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	201977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140807_195800_hdr.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	201985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140807_195913.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	201993  

post #17 of 25 Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Those all look as if you've tuned to a standard-definition channel instead of the HD one or the box is set to output 480p.
TeeJay1952 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the model of your STB?
And we assume that you have the HD stations.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

It's a Motorola iirc. Can get the exact model when I get home. I promise it's HD. Channel 843, Root Sports HD.
post #20 of 25 Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes get the model number I didn't recognize that name.
post #21 of 25 Old 08-08-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

post #22 of 25 Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Refer to page 12 of that manual and ensure those settings are correct on your box.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-10-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

i just confirmed everything is set up correctly.
post #24 of 25 Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have a TV in another room in your home, if so i would either try the STB and the HDMI cable in that room or if possible move the other TV to your present room and check the picture quality.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-28-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Just a little update:

After complaining to comcast about how incompetent the guy I talked to was, the corporate service guy called me and sent a technician over for no cost. Turns out the Comcast installed Arris box (from the previous owner) was full of moisture, rust, and condensation. We removed the box, put new ends on the cable, and it helped a little bit, but I'm still not totally satisfied, but will have to deal with it for a while. It's actually at the point that I don't even really watch TV on the projector all that much anymore, but still for blu ray.

They did all they could to help, but I'm starting to think that maybe the poor broadcast quality and compression is a lot more apparent on such large screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical