AVS Forum banner

Want to use component to HDMI and bypass HDCP?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 ·
If I use component cables from the source to bypass the HDCP in HDMI, can I passthrough the signal through a recorder to a display device with an HDMI cable? Or will the HDCP kick in again?

source -> component cables -> recorder -> HDMI -> display device

#4 ·
What type of recorder are we talking about? Because no consumer HDTV recorder and few professional recorders can record full bandwidth HD. So there's a good chance the HDMI output from such a recorder will be re-compressed and not very well either.

And there is also an option for devices to downrez HD component outputs on HDCP sources but I don't think any content producer ever employed that. Plus, cable and satellite aren't allowed to downrez component outputs per the FCC, only Bluray can.

#5 ·
I was going to record on a capture card with a PC. 1080i is not mandatory, 720p should be fine for me. I'm debating whether to use a active splitter so I can record through the PC with a monitor while being able to watch on my tv at the same time. Not a deal breaker though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.