Channel surfing question dish or directv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Channel surfing question dish or directv

After our move to the boonies and only having OTA, my wife misses her TV SO WILL BE MAKING A 2 year commitment very soon. I called both Dish and Directv and was on the phone with each for over an hour with each.
Both told me that I could exclude channels while channel surfing, channel up or down. To me this is a huge deal, very close to the price difference, but I will not remember the channels, and do not want to scroll through the shopping, religious, and channels we do not get.
Is this possible with either or both? How about the channel lag is that a non issue nowadays with the Genie and Hopper, and the receivers? Or is there a lag still? While either entering a channel or scrolling up/down.

I tried searching, but didn't see any info. Thanks in advance for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Use Fav lists on both to filter channels. Lag is still a few seconds. Much more efficient to surf the guide than press Ch up thousands of times.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
In time, you'll have your favorites memorized. Rare is the case I can't just enter the channel number I wish to surf to. But, yeah, surfing the guide beats actual channel surfing.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both, I really wish it were like my old Moxi, I may be in the minority but that was one of the best DVR's I've ever had, no lag, could delete channels for surfing and other items I've loved and missed. Just wanted to make sure that 1 could versus the other. I know they want us to know what we are missing, but it should be user preference.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't know about DISH. Direct TV easily lets you make custom lists. In fact you can have 2, so one could be for you and one for your wife. Or one for general surfing and one for sports, etc. It is very easy to add channels or delete channels from the lists and very easy to switch back and forth between them. Channels that are not on the custom list you are using do not even appear in the guide.

SMK
Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Roy, I stumbled on Dish's forum and found that custom lists are available to make. Guess I will be making a custom list on the one we decide to go with.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
DirecTV lets you store a small number of frequently used channels (9 I believe) you can quickly access by pressing the Up arrow on the remote.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd63146 View Post
After our move to the boonies and only having OTA, my wife misses her TV SO WILL BE MAKING A 2 year commitment very soon. I called both Dish and Directv and was on the phone with each for over an hour with each.
What's considered the boonies? I'm almost 60 miles away from transmitters and I can pull in all the OTA stations I'm interested without a problem. Go to http://www.tvfool.com/ and see if you can get OTA, you might be surprised what you can get with a decent antenna.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
What's considered the boonies? I'm almost 60 miles away from transmitters and I can pull in all the OTA stations I'm interested without a problem. Go to http://www.tvfool.com/ and see if you can get OTA, you might be surprised what you can get with a decent antenna.
Boonies, being the only extra tv besides OTA we can get is satellite. I have been fine with OTA from an indoor RCA antenna, about 30 miles from the transmitters. She on the other hand wants her HGTV, Discovery, and we both would enjoy ESPN
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
DirecTV lets you store a small number of frequently used channels (9 I believe) you can quickly access by pressing the Up arrow on the remote.
That is nice to know thanks for the heads up

Tags
Direct Tv Remote Control , Dish Network