Fios or Xfinity? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fios or Xfinity?

I currently have Fios Extreme HD package, but my contract runs out on Monday 8/18. I've priced out xfinity's Premier package which includes several movie channels plus their X1 DVR and 4 HD TV's and 105mb download speed. I've been going back and forth with Fios' s retention department and they are not as generous as they were 2 years ago when I renewed for 2 years. All they will do is give me HBO free for 2 years with 50/50 Quantum service for internet and their new Quantum TV package. The two packages are almost identical in price except that xfinity has more movie channels. I've read that Fios's HD picture quality is superior to xfinity because of the fiber optics. I also have a new 4K TV and want to get the best picture possible. I live in the Boston area and would appreciate some feedback from members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I don't think anything is being broadcast in native 4k so at best, you'll get an upconverted pictured from a normally compressed signal.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I don't think anything is being broadcast in native 4k so at best, you'll get an upconverted pictured from a normally compressed signal.
I agree - there is no native 4k broadcasts. I' m basically more concerned with regular HD(1080i) broadcasts for all the HD TV's in the house. I would really like to get opinions on which provider, Fios or Comcast will provide the best picture quality overall. From what I've read, Comcast's signal is more compressed than Fios. If this is true, wouldn't Fios result in a better picture?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Subscribe to the one that gives you the "better" price for what you need/desire. Then after one or two years, switch to the other.

It's just a game... it's just TV.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Perhaps look into unbundling and keeping separate services with different providers?

Comcast for TV
Fios for Internet

Obviously the perks of bundling is to save a little cash on your bill, but it'd be worth breaking out the calculator to see if you couldn't make this work within your budget?

Plus if you call into Fios and tell them to cancel your TV service, they might work with you again to get the package you desire from Comcast?

Good luck!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page