Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pioneer Dorm room connector issue

Hello,

I moved into college today with an old plasma my father gave me. The TV is a Pioneer PDP4312 and does not have a TV tuner built in which I don't know why but whatever. Inside the room we have cable available to us through a wall jack and COAX connector. My question is how can I connect my TV to get the cable service since I do not have a TV tuner available. I would really not like to pay for a cable box.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Best bet is to talk to the campus gurus and find out what everyone else (with a limited budget) does for cableTV.

Other than that... you need a tuner/cable box.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Well, you're going to need a cable tuner or a different TV set.

Pretty cut and dry....
post #4 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yup, PDP-4312 is a "Monitor" without any OTA Tuners, with ONLY one HDMI and two Component Video (YPbPr) High Def inputs. So you MIGHT also need an inexpensive Input switch, which come in Manual/Automatic/Remote-Control varieties....and either just one I/F type or multiple I/F types:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10110
http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Inde...t+video+switch

Check the appropriate campus website and CALL THEM FOR ADVICE. They should have info on how to connect to what is probably an INTERNAL CATV system.....which is likely NOT the same as the commercial CATV systems in the neighborhood. It might be using one or more of the following modulation formats: (a) Old Analog NTSC, (b) ATSC (same as OTA), (c) Clear QAM and/or (d) Encrypted QAM.

Any 'ol VCR (and DVD Recorders) will receive (ONLY) type (a) NTSC, converting to Composite Video (Yellow/Red/White) RCA Jacks for connection to HDTV.

Inexpensive CECB Converter Boxes are available (check fleabay, etc) for under $40 (some for a LOT less) that will receive ONLY (b) ATSC, converting to either Ch3/4 "ANT" Input or (Yellow/Red/White) RCA Jacks. So they have the disadvantage of downconverting HD to low-rez SD: [See my signature line for a list.]
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/186-co...erter-box-cecb

OTA "HD STB" High Definition Tuners are available that receive (b) ATSC and some of them also (c) Clear QAM. They connect using either HDMI or Component Video (Red/Green/Blue) Coax Cables. Note that PrimeDTV costs more to ALSO receive (c) Clear QAM:
The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis!

If your campus system employs (d) Encrypted QAM for some or all channels, you're going to need to pay for a Cable Box to receive them, which is probably provided by the local Campus Service Desk. The Cable Box should also receive NTSC and Clear QAM signals if they are also on the CATV system.

If I was running your local On-Campus CATV system, I would use either ATSC, which would be easiest to redistribute local OTA signals and should also be easiest for the STUDENTS who need only use an ATSC DTV, no extra boxes required. Or it could include or entirely employ Clear QAM, which might be more cost effective for the CATV headend since it can pack more programs into each QAM Channel...and could be cobbled together from obsolete/excessed CATV headend systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by holl_ands; 08-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Or... just speak with the AV guys on campus and other students to get an idea.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you have clear QAM:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-function...=iview+3500stb
If you also need analog then it gets more expensive, if you only need analog then any VCR with a tuner and composite output should work, although the picture quality will be limited by the source, analog is SD and not that great at that. QAM can be digital SD or digital HD and by far would be your best scenario.
If your collage is only analog then an antenna with the iView would be your best bet for the locals as they would generally be HD.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I know I'm a pest but, refer to posts 2 and 5 before a panic purchase. Understand what's provided by the cable before you go to any expense. Who knows... maybe they (college) will provide a basic tuner for little or no cost.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well thanks for the great responses everybody. I go to school at SUNY-ESF in NY. The dorm is a private dorm and not affiliated or connected with the campus internet or TV system as far as I can tell since they are a 3rd party. For networking I know we use a company called elauwit networks and according to the website we also use a group called Pavlov media.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well my last post may need tk be disregarded. According to the dorm paperwork "Video and Data Services
An expanded cable TV package with certain premium channels is included as part of your contract and is provided by DirecTV through our media services company, Elauwit Networks. Upgraded cable packages can be obtained through a separate agreement with DirecTV.
Internet service is included as part of your lease and is provided by Elauwit. Technical support for basic cable services and data is provided by Elauwit at their customer service center at 1-800-611-9837."
post #10 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm thinking the dorm is using digital services not analog. Also if this means anything the dorm is new only built in 2011. Sorry guys I dont have a real great idea on what I'm doing here. Just coming around for some advice and giving as much details as I possibly can.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I contacted tech support from ealuwit and they told me to use a QAM adapter. This is the one they suggested.

http://elauwit.myshopify.com/collect...-converter-box

So are there any other better and cheaper options that would work?
post #12 of 15 Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Based on the spec's, I'd say that $79 is pretty reasonable.

You could probably consider the IView box mentioned above and linked below (less price, newer version) ans save a few $$ if money is an issue. And, I would suggest you verify that it is compatible with your provider's system before you purchase, just to be "safe".

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...erter_box.html
post #13 of 15 Old 08-16-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Interesting box, $80 isn't too bad of a price either.
Note with a USB HDD the cheaper iView will also act as a digital VCR but it's a bit quirky so if your one that just want things to work or want to be able to call technical support and have them know your equipment then maybe the one they linked may be your best choice
Wonder who makes that box? The remote says Technicolor but I don't believe I've ever read anything about it on AVS.....
They also sell a DVR but looks to only have DVB-C tuners so it must be meant for overseas use only......the STB specifically says N. America.
http://www.technicolor.com/en/soluti...p-boxes/dci804

Last edited by jjeff; 08-16-2014 at 09:38 AM.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-16-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I don't care about any DVR it anything else I just want to watch TV. Does this technicolor box for $80 have any other connectors beside HDMI? I would prefer to connect over component since the TV only has one HDMI port which is already in use.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The iView 3500STBII has an HDMI, and Component output. The downside, is that you might have to try several versions of firmware before you get one that works with your cable system. The firmware for the new models with the 3/4 RF selector switch on the back is available at http://firedrive.com/file/A4AB3EEBBFC31291 thanks to someone who posted it in the forums. If your iView doesn't have the 3/4 selector switch, then read post 5 in this thread. That thread also has tons of information regarding the box.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page