Is it possible to do a "remote" OTA antenna over Wifi? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Justasheep, thnx for the link. I haven't kept updated on the latest since I got the dual a couple yrs ago. The "Plus" model sounds nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Threads merged.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Sevin View Post
Should I mention I have a dark brown roof, and I'm in the deeeeep south too?

You have got to check out Icynene.
Cool (literally). I'll check it out.

Quote:
If you have any links to an access point for that price, post them up. I'm also thinking about getting the new Airport Extreme and moving the current Express upstairs to use as a link with the antenna.
Just search amazon for "pocket router" and you'll get several hits for units starting under $20. As long as it says AP you're good to go. I've used several over the years, including home-made ones from old routers running custom firmwares.

But HD over wifi is still very iffy, IMO. I've tried and failed to get my own video distribution working over wifi. But I had different challenges than you. I ended up going power-line for a time, which would actually be a great option for you. You must have power in the attic already for lights and your future Homerun. A pair of power-line Ethernet adapters is pretty cheap. That'll give you a solid connection and plenty of bandwidth for several HD streams at once.

Food for thought
Old 08-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is an interesting idea, I'm going to take a look at it. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
But HD over wifi is still very iffy, IMO.
Yeah, I think AC protocol is recommended for wifi video streaming of OTA since it's an uncompressed signal. It's still a little pricy for me since you'd have to buy 2 routers to make it work.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
Yeah, I think AC protocol is recommended for wifi video streaming of OTA since it's an uncompressed signal. It's still a little pricy for me since you'd have to buy 2 routers to make it work.
802.11n with MIMO should work fine...with 2 antenna's (best case) radio rate is 300Mbps and ethernet rate would be between 150-175Mbps.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Sevin View Post
Its not to save $5 of coax. ...
What I'm trying to save is the effort of running coax through my attic, down walls, and punching more holes through drywall. Why bother, when I can attic mount my antenna, and right next to the antenna I have a 110 2-gang outlet where I can add some gear?
If you want to distribute the broadcast frequencies to more than 2/4 rooms concurrently, you will just have to bite the bullet and run the coax to the rooms that need to tune these broadcasts. The HDHR while nice, is limited to the number of tuners is has and you still need hardwired ethernet wiring for stable bandwidth capable distribution of the MPEG2 TS's, so presumably if you have wiried ethernet in the attic, you should be able to run coax along the same path......?
Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only have one TV in the house, so I don't need coax to 2-4 rooms. I just need to get the signal to one room, which is why I was asking if it was possible to simply pull signal from the OTA via WIFI.

I don't recall saying I have ethernet in the attic, maybe you're confusing me with Chicago Dan or someone else?