Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seal Beach, Ca/ cannot recieve all channels

Hello,
From the research I have done, I should be able to get all major channels where I am but am having difficulty getting both fox (11) and My TV(13). I tried using a indoor RCA Omni directional antennae first. I get all other major channels but 11 and 13. Then switched to a RCA indoor/outdoor amplified antennae. Still did get 11 and 13 and the other channels went in and out. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. The below is what came up for TV fool. It says a basic set top ant. should be able to pick up everything I want.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f6828e273f3

Oh, and some location info-
living in a bottom floor apartment so a roof top or mounted outdoor ant is not possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello Ikky, and welcome to the forum!

Just took a quick look at your tvfool, and I might be way off base, but with all those high strength channels, and quite a few adjacent to each other, that either your tv tuner can't handle the overload (especially with the amplifier), or that your coax cable may be bad.

Try another coax cable, preferably new, with quality compression fittings. If that doesn't fix ya, you can try a different tv tuner (you can always return it).

Is there anyone nearby that gets good reception?
post #3 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Also, just for testing, have you tried locating the antenna near a window (needs to be screen less) facing north, and are there any major obstructions in the way?
post #4 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikky View Post
Hello,
From the research I have done, I should be able to get all major channels where I am but am having difficulty getting both fox (11) and My TV(13). I tried using a indoor RCA Omni directional antennae first. I get all other major channels but 11 and 13. Then switched to a RCA indoor/outdoor amplified antennae. Still did get 11 and 13 and the other channels went in and out. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. The below is what came up for TV fool. It says a basic set top ant. should be able to pick up everything I want.

living in a bottom floor apartment so a roof top or mounted outdoor ant is not possible.
Can you give us model numbers so we know exactly what antennas you're trying?

You can try moving the antenna to a different position and see if that helps.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikky View Post
Hello,

If you are close to the I405 freeway, your reception may be affected. Reflections of the moving vehicles can affect your clean line-of-sight reception. If that is the case, you may need a more directional antenna. However, that may be difficult to do since you live in a first floor apartment.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_H View Post
Hello Ikky, and welcome to the forum!

Just took a quick look at your tvfool, and I might be way off base, but with all those high strength channels, and quite a few adjacent to each other, that either your tv tuner can't handle the overload (especially with the amplifier), or that your coax cable may be bad.

Try another coax cable, preferably new, with quality compression fittings. If that doesn't fix ya, you can try a different tv tuner (you can always return it).

Is there anyone nearby that gets good reception?
By tuner do you mean ant? Or the tv itself?

model #'s of the ants Ive tried-
ant1400f
ant702f

I ended up switching back to the multidirectional, non amplified ant (ant1400f) because I get all other channels better but still cant get FOX or 13.
I am using brand new coax that came with the ant.
I placed the ant in the window facing almost due north. It did improve the signal strength of other channels but still getting absolutely nothing from FOX or 13.

Im not close enough to any major street for it to effect things.
There is an over hang that extends 6 feet or so out above the window but im not sure what I can do about that.
If I were able to talk to my apartment manager and get permission to bolt on an outdoor would this fix my problem?
It just seems so strange to me that everything else comes in good. Is it a different type of signal?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM

I was referring to the tv tuner, whether it be internal to the tv, or external. Long ago, I noticed my built-in tv tuners weren't nearly as good as my external Hauppauge, KWorld, and HDHomerun tuners. Those picked up and locked onto channels the built-in tuners couldn't. Give one a try if nothing else works in the short term. While not the best tuners, the cheap Walmart digital tv convertor box's will give you an idea if your tuner may be damaged.

Your signal levels are very strong, and you should be even able to pick most of those up with a straightened paper clip serving as the antenna, as long as multi-path isn't the issue. If it's multi-path signals interfering, then as RetiredEngineer said, a very directional antenna may help.

Ask around, see if others in your locale have problems with reception.

Last edited by Don_H; 08-17-2014 at 11:16 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM

Looking at Solid Signal's website, they don't have your area, but do have very nearby (five mile radius of Seal Beach) zip code listings of the antenna's that are recommended for those area's. http://www.solidsignal.com/cview_Ant....x=128&I2.y=15

I clicked on a few zip codes, and all were directional antenna's, so multi-path could very well be your issue.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Calaveras, Holl_ands? Any thoughts on what could be the issue here?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Both of the antennas tried are ineffective for VHF. You need an antenna with real elements if you want a good chance at your VHF channels.

Indoors will be a crap shoot since there are too many variable to predict. Your best bet is to simply get an antenna with the proper sized elements and give it a shot. Most indoor only antennas with VHF will have rabbit ears which can be adjusted to length.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Channels 11 and 13 are high VHF and those are more difficult to receive with an indoor antenna. Apparently you receive 7, 8 and 9 okay. You probably have multipath issues on 11 and 13 and there's no easy solution to that unless you can mount an antenna outdoors.

Can you run a test holding an antenna outdoors to see if that resolves the problem? If it does then you can talk to your landlord about mounting it permanently.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page