PVI VeCOAX MicroMod - Experiences? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ctdish

post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PVI VeCOAX MicroMod - Experiences?

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the PVI VeCOAX MicroMod?
http://www.pviusa.com/MICROMOD-Compa...ator_p_30.html

I just test mounted some TVs in my basement to set up a sports bar. I'm looking at using one of two of these... or going the HDMI matrix splitter route. Either way I've got to run Ethernet and RG6 to the sets. I already have a giant box of Cat6 and a reel of RG6 with the tools to make connectors on each end. I have to cut into the drywall regardless - use of existing cabling isn't really an issue.

What I am looking for is something that works well and does so reliably.

How is the quality of the video output? Any freezes, macroblocking, etc?

Has HDCP given you any problems?

Are you using QAM or ATSC? Why?

It hurts to pay more for one of these boxes than I paid for each of my 60" TVs, but it doesn't look like there is an easy/cheap way to do this. At least with these, I can inject the signal into my antenna feed and see it all over the house (as opposed to being limited to... say, 4 outputs before the price goes into the stratosphere).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-23-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #3 of 12 Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

FWIW - I did use the search function, and I did read the first thread posted there. I did not read the second. That thread did not come back in my results, but it appears to be mostly posters picking nits at each other with the final post being a 2.5 year old insertion of a PVI supplied image and specs.

I was PM'ing with Mr. Rubin in concert with my post. As a result, I'm going to try one of these out, but I'm still interested in hearing about any actual experiences. There seems to be dearth of those on the Internet.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryH View Post
FWIW - I did use the search function, and I did read the first thread posted there. I did not read the second. That thread did not come back in my results, but it appears to be mostly posters picking nits at each other with the final post being a 2.5 year old insertion of a PVI supplied image and specs.

I was PM'ing with Mr. Rubin in concert with my post. As a result, I'm going to try one of these out, but I'm still interested in hearing about any actual experiences. There seems to be dearth of those on the Internet.
It's suspicious to me that you have to sign up to find the prices. Also that there are no other dealers.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

post #6 of 12 Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Another similar device, from an eBay seller, but like the PVI, with few, if any, other sellers, and limited info:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THOR-HDMI-to...item19f294892e

On the Thor web site:

http://thorbroadcast.com/sklep-205/produkt-162
post #7 of 12 Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 957
just wanted to add:

I got latest QAM firmware 2.09 HW 1.4A and installed it on 3 single channel modulators

learned from Robert at PVI setting Encoder/Video/low delay> to >mode 1 (fast) or mode 2 (medium)

selecting mode 1, if the encoder in the TV is fast enough to accept it, greatly reduces the latency I saw in the remote control response: all my TV's in the house accepted mode 1 (some 10 TV's) and remote response is noticeably faster

Stay in normal mode if low delay is not needed: switch to mode 2 if mode 1 does not work etc...

this is a great modulator

Last edited by markrubin; 09-01-2014 at 04:26 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got around to setting up my sports bar area and played with my modulators more than just checking to see if they work.

I torture tested them using a concert bluray - lots of scene changes, sudden lighting changes, motion, etc.

I found that the low latency modes throw away a lot of detail for speed so I turned those off and stuck with "Normal" (I am using ATSC). There were jitter issues as well. Works well in Normal. I am still getting a random 1-2 second audio dropout every 15-30 minutes though.

Mark - where did you find the firmware to download? Did you have to request it from PVI?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-26-2015, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Mark - where did you find the firmware to download? Did you have to request it from PVI?
I called them and they emailed a file: the download to the modulator is done using a USB stick

please take the high road in every post
If you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Beware: Copy Protection Flags are coming
post #10 of 12 Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Did you mention before that you used a standalone tuner to snag the audio for your amp so that the audio is synced with the video? I think I remember you mentioning that, but I can't find the post.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks.

Did you mention before that you used a standalone tuner to snag the audio for your amp so that the audio is synced with the video? I think I remember you mentioning that, but I can't find the post.
HomeworX HW180STB is used to feed whole house audio to sync with TV's that are fed by modulator

if you have TV's with good audio, you may not need it...

please take the high road in every post
If you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Beware: Copy Protection Flags are coming
post #12 of 12 Old Today, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I did some testing this week and thought I would provide my conclusions.

The bottom line is, unless you have a very compelling reason to use ATSC go with QAM. QAM works great with little or no issues. Of course, your mileage may very as some of this could be TV specific.

I ordered my two modulators as ATSC versions because I have 1 old set that doesn't have a QAM tuner, I thought channel changes might be smoother if every channel was of the same type (OTA and my modulated channels), and I did not think there would be an appreciable difference.

When I first set up my ATSC versions out of the box I drove them with a 1080p signal from a Blu-Ray concert DVD ... lots of motion, scene changes, camera panning, strobe lights, etc.

The manual said to set the bitrate to 16Mbit/sec, so I did. I started out with the Lowdelay on Mode 1. The TVs found the channel without issue and tuned to it. I had the original signal playing on one TV and the modulated signal playing on an identical 60" LG plasma a foot away.

The latency for mode 1 is around a second (maybe less). The concert was playing, but it looked like it had 80's music video special effects added to it... jerky motion that would slow down and then speed back up to catch up. Attempting to watch a basketball game was comical with that happening. I moved the delay to mode2 and things were better, but not fixed. So, finally I set the delay to normal. That fixed the motion issues. The latency however increased to around 3 seconds.

In this configuration (and in with the delay set to the other modes) I had random audio dropouts. So, I contacted PVI. I described the issue and also asked for updated software/firmware for ATSC as well as QAM.

The rep responded the same day... within about 2.5 to 3 hours and suggested that I set the bitrate to 14Mbps. I did. That seemed to fix the audio dropouts.

Comparing the original video to the encoded/decoded version showed what I thought was a significant quality loss. I could see a lot of compression artifacts in scenes with a lot of motion - the concert bluray was a sort of torture test for that.

PVI also provided me with updated software/firmware for both ATSC and QAM.

I first installed updated to the latest ATSC version. After doing so, I was able to increase the bitrate to 15 and then 16Mbps without the audio dropouts returning. That improved the compression artifacts, but the output still didn't really excite me.

So I installed QAM onto the other modulator... boy was that better. The manual indicates that the bitrate should be set to 19Mbps, so I did. The lowdelay mode1 worked much better with QAM. The overall video quality is much better as well - either due to the higher bitrate or superior processing in the TV for QAM. Comparing the two signals, the difference is best described as basically the difference between 1080p and 1080i.

There is more color/warmer color in the original - perhaps due to a wider color gamut. Otherwise, it's hard to see a difference - especially if you are feeding the box 1080i versus 1080p.

Note that the latest firmware includes the ability to set Lowdelay to "Manual" and then choose an incremental delay between 1 and 500. I don't think the firmware that my box came with had that option.

So... customer support is responsive, and the product works as advertised. If you need to distribute HD to a bunch of TVs, it's a workable solution that might be the right one depending on your circumstances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical