SONY KDL-42W653A USA Compatibility Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SONY KDL-42W653A USA Compatibility Issue

Hello Community,

I have been searching for a year now for an LED HDTV that has excellent SD upscaler because I watch mostly international channels that only broadcast at 480i resolution. Another one of my major requirements for the TV would be a very low input lag as I play shooter games very often on the PS4.

I finally stumbled upon the SONY KDL-42W653A, a 2013 model made for the UK and the Asian market. A review done from CNET stated its spectatular SD upconversion capability and SD picture quality.
Here is the link:

Another review done from HDTVTEST.CO.UK stated that this TV broke all records with a jaw-dropping input lag of 14.6
Link to that:

This TV was exactly what I had been looking for until I discovered it wasn't made by SONY for the U.S. market. Through desperation for it meeting my requirements I went ahead and ordered it from someone on EBAY until I realized it wasn't universal as I stumbled on it's manual which doesn't clarify its specific voltage and HZ frequency but rather a bunch of other SONY models. This is what the manual stated:

Power and others
Power requirements
19.5 V DC with mains adaptor
Rating: Input 220 V - 240 V AC, 50 Hz

Here is the link to the manual and the information posted above is on the 5th page of the manual:

Here are my questions. I really want to keep this TV but can I make this TV work in the U.S. at peak performance even though I believe it only runs on 220-240V and 50HZ? What will I need to make it work? Or if you have any recomendations for an American model LED TV that meets the requirements I've been seeking?

I appreciate the input and help in advance.

Last edited by nickskep; 08-28-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links